The Evo-Stik League South

Saturday 9th December 1989

The FA Cup: 2nd Round

The County Ground, Northampton Attendance: 6098

Northampton Town

0 0

Aylesbury United

  Half-time: (0-0)  
1Player ImageTim GARNER
2Player ImageGraham REED12 64m 
3Player ImageSimon MASON
4Player ImageKevin DAY
5Player ImagePeter HUTTER
6Player ImageAllan PLUCKROSE
7Player ImageRobert SMITH
8Player ImageGlen DONEGAL
9Player ImageCliff HERCULES
10Player ImageSteve KETTERIDGE
11Player ImageJunior WILSON
12Player ImageSteve COX2 64m 
14Player ImagePeter WELSH
MManager ImageTrevor GOULD
Match Report


A tremendous performance by the Ducks with Tim Garner outstanding earned a Buckingham Road replay after this draw at the County Ground. In so doing United went into the third round draw for the first time ever, and the reward for the winners was to be a home tie against First Division Coventry City, the club manager Trevor Gould started his playing career with.

With 2000 green & white fans packed behind the goal Town surged forward at every opportunity in the first twenty minutes, and Garner made his first save of the afternoon in the second minute when he tipped round the post a first time shot by Darren Collins.

Having weathered the early storm United found their composure, and after 27 minutes came close to scoring. The impressive Graham Reed took a throw wide on the right to Rob Smith. He beat Paul Wilson and crossed into the box where Phil Chard headed out for a corner. The outswinging kick by Steve Ketteridge was half cleared to the edge of the penalty area where Simon Mason struck a first time volley towards the right of the goal. With Peter Gleasure beaten, the ball struck the post and rebounded across the face of the goal and away to safety.

Just before the break Bobby Barnes turned and shot wide from twelve yards, and Steve Berry headed the wrong side of the target. A minute after the break saw a terrific scramble in the Northampton six yard box involving Peter Hutter, Simon Mason and Cliff Hercules following another Ketteridge corner, Russell Wilcox eventually cleared.

Graham Reed went off on 64 minutes with a pulled groin and Steve Cox came off the bench to slot into right back, and six minutes later Cliff Hercules had a goal disallowed for a foul on the keeper.

Northampton continued to press forward but the Ducks backline were superb, clearing a string of dangerous crosses. On 75 minutes Garner saved bravely at the feet of Barnes following good work by Warren Donald, and on 85 minutes Donald volleyed just wide after a cross by Steve Brown.

With two minutes remaining Garner ended the game as he started with a world class save similar to the Gordon Banks World Cup stop against Pele. Phil Chard sent in a right wing cross to the far post and Keith McPherson headed downwards towards goal. Garner dived low to his right and gathered the ball at the second attempt to earn a standing ovation from Northampton's largest crowd of the season.