Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
The Evo-Stik League South

Tuesday 16th March 1993

Diadora League Premier Division

Buckingham Road, Aylesbury Attendance: 410

Aylesbury United

2 0


  Half-time: (0-0)  
Simon GREGORYPlayer Image1
Phil STACEYPlayer Image2
Paul BENNINGPlayer Image3
Kevin DAYPlayer Image4
Nick ASHBYPlayer Image5
Andy ROBINSONPlayer Image6
12 Steve GRENFELLPlayer Image7
Simon MASONPlayer Image8
John LAWFORDPlayer Image9
14 Cliff HERCULESPlayer Image10
Graham WESTLEYPlayer Image11
7 Phil HEATHPlayer Image12
10 Francis CASSIDYPlayer Image14
  Alan DAVIESManager ImageM
Match Report



Aylesbury won this entertaining open game against Kingstonian 2-0. Manager Alan Davies kept the same team which beat Basingstoke the previous Saturday, whereas K's Chris Kelly made a number of changes in an attempt to stem a dismal run which had seen his side slip down the table.

Out went forward Francis Vines and three players made their debuts. Simon Read and Ian Savage, on loan from Farnborough, and right winger Jimmy Sugrue who had been recently released by Fulham. Sugrue showed early promise, sending in a 6th minute cross which tall frontman David Pearce left for Read to strike, but Simon Gregory was equal to the challenge and saved to his left.

The experienced duo of Read and Pearce certainly proved a handful for United's backline who held firm throughout, something which wasn't evident earlier in the season. Having soaked up the K's pressure United countered on 20 minutes when Simon Mason lofted a ball into the area. Keeper Adrian Blake punched out as far as Andy Robinson whose return chip dropped just over the crossbar. Blake then collected a backpass by John Finch under pressure from Graham Westley and United won a free kick eight yards out. Westley's kick was blocked on the line.

Blake, who had only returned to the K's side due to a weekend injury to normal custodian Mark Russell, caused himself and his team some anxious moments as the half ended by electing to punch out rather than catch a number of crosses, notably from John Lawford out on the left flank.

In the 52nd minute Aylesbury took the lead. Paul Benning pumped a halfway line free kick to Cliff Hercules on the edge of the penalty area. Being tightly marked there appeared no danger, but Hercules stretched his right foot and floated a brilliant shot into the roof of the net and put yet another classic goal into his scrapbook. Six minutes later Kingstonian came close when Pearce flicked on a Sugrue cross but Roddy Braithwaite's nearpost headed just missed the target.

On 71 minutes John Lawford sprang clear on the right side and carried on his run as K's defence backpedalled. Graham Westley in the middle looked the best option but Lawford elected to go alone and fired into the sidenetting. A minute later at the other end Simon Gregory preserved the lead, parrying a Pearce twenty yarder.

The all important second goal arrived in the 76th minute. Phil Heath, a second half substitute for Steve Grenfell, picked out Westley with an inch perfect pass in the penalty area. He quickly turned Darren Broderick and was duly upended by the defender for a penalty. Westly converted the spot kick, thus converting his 15th goal in 19 games for the Ducks.

Ten minutes from time Simon Gregory ensure he and United kept a clean sheet. Read curled a long range shot which looked destined for the net, but Gregory got down and managed to tip the ball round a post to earn a deserved applause, even from the K's faithful.