Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report


Aylesbury's last game of the 1994/95 season ended in a dramatic penalty shoot-out against Slough Town in the Diadora League Cup Final (played at Oak Tree Road, Marlow FC). With the sides level at 1-1 following extra time, it was still all square after five kicks each. Slough's Brian Connor saw his penalty saved by Paul O'Reillym his third penalty shoot-out savem and when Paul Hobbs thundered home from 12 yards players and fans swarmed the field as United lifted the League Cup 7-6 on penalties.

Aylesbury had little luck in front of goal during normal and extra time, twice hitting the woodwork and Slough keeper Trevor Bunting made a couple of good saves. Slough made the brightest opening of the two and eventually took the lead after 26 minutes when full-back Andy Clement struck a low 25 yard free-kick past O'Reilly.

Shortly afterwards Andy Sayer missed a great chance to put Slough further ahead and United capitalised on his misfortune and drew level just before half-time. The determined Allan Pluckrose robbed Sayer on the edge of his box and crossed low and hard into the area. Centre back Trevor Baron, under pressure from Dean Williams and Cliff Hercules, deflected the ball into his own net as Bunting stood on his line.

Chances were few and far between in the second half, Slough's Steve Bateman came closest when he headed against the crossbar. But United dominated most of this period and Williams, Hercules, Hobbs and Steve Heard all had near misses. United began the extra time period where they left off. Bunting parried a Williams shot and from the rebound Clement kicked Hercules' follow up off the line. Late on a Hobbs close range header was tipped onto the crossbar by Bunting and another header by Hercules again hit the bar as the Slough goal led a charmed life.

And so the Final went into penalties and the drama began to unfold. Slough went first and O'Reilly saved Neil Catlin's kick. Allan Pluckrose made no mistake to edge United ahead. Andy Clement scored and Bunting saved Dean Williams' (1-1). Ansil Bushay and Michael Danzey both scored easily (2-2). Then followed conversions by Brian Lee, Lee Harvey (3-3) and Trevor Baron and Naseem Bashir (4-4). It was by now sudden death and one mistake would prove costly.

Steve Bateman blasted over the bar and up stepped Cliff Hercules, but Bunting was equal to the task. Perhaps Slough had the edge at this point and Andy Sayer gave O'Reilly no chance of saving his kick. However Matt Hayward smashed his home (5-5) as did Garfield Blackman and Steve Heard (6-6). It was onto the tenth penalty takers with only the keepers left after that. Slough substitute Brian Connor watched in horror as O'Reilly saved his kick and then Paul Hobbs strode up to despatch the ball past Bunting and moments later United's players lifted the Cup to tremendous cheers from their large following in a crowd of 1041.