Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



As the sides met for the second time of the season, the gap between Aylesbury and Hitchin was just four points as both clubs were looking nervously over their shoulders at the relegation zone. By this time Gary Phillips first spell had ended and Steve Ketteridge's second tenure had begun.

The United line up bore little resemblance to the early season team either with no less than four players making their Aylesbury debuts in this fixture. Northampton Town midfielder Dave Martin made his only Ducks appearance, while defender Aiden O'Brien came in to bolster the back line. More significantly perhaps ex Harrow Borough duo Steve Butler and Jason Court both made their bow. Both players were extremely infuential the following season when we finished second, and it's a common misconception that both were brought to the club by Bob Dowie. Although the pair played under the future United boss at Earlsmead it was in fact Ketts that tempted them to Buckingham Road.

As is often the case the new faces took time to settle down and with less than fifteen minutes remaining United were trailing. Mick Swaysland had given the travelling Ducks the lead late in the first half, but goals from Adam Parker and Gary Williams had reversed the home side's fortunes within half an hour.

Keeper Andy Lomas kept the Greens in the game until a double substitution turned this St.Valentine's Day clash on its head once again. Wide men Kenrick Roudette and Mark Jones came into the fray and within minutes Roudette had levelled the scores with a flying diving header. Five minutes later teenager Jones skipped past his marker to cross perfectly for Swaysland to power home his second.

The victory left United ten points clear of the drop zone, which everyone thought would be enough to secure safety. As it turned out of course, Aylesbury won only two of their remaining thirteen matches and their Premier Division survival wasn't confirmed until the last game of the season.