Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report


Kingstonian's fans turned out in numbers to witness the K's exit from the FA Trophy, despite a good performance from the away side, who had Aylesbury on the back foot throughout. It was only for a solid Ducks defensive performance, and Lee Worgan's heroics in goal that kept them a clean sheet, and a route into the 4th Round.

The Ducks started brightly and a good corner early on saw the ball whipped in, but unfortunately no attacker could get a decisive touch to send the ball past the grounded K's keeper, Lance Key.

Kingstonian should have taken an early lead, after a pacey, whipped ball evaded the Ducks defence and was met by an attacker, who somehow managed to put the ball over the bar. Five minutes later and a similar ball from a free-kick evaded the Ducks again, but fortunately was just out of reach of any Kingstonian players.

The home team were struggling to get into the game, and K's were creating a number of chances. A shot from distance, and a well hit driven free-kick forced home-debutant keeper Worgan into moving his feet, but he got his body behind both shots and comfortably held them.

Aylesbury's first real chance came after 25 minutes play, and fell to the lively Kezie Ibe. A free-kick was taken very quickly, and rolled into the path of Ibe, and his shot was saved by the sprawling Key's legs. Six minutes later, and the Ducks were ahead. Against the run of play Ibe managed to get the ball in the box, and after leading the K's defence a merry dance he produced a snapshot from the byeline, which somehow fell to Joe Baker to send the ball home from 4 yards. 1-0 Aylesbury

Shaken, but un-deterred K's picked themselves up and continued on the attack. Another low whipped ball was met by a combination of plunging attacker/Phil Dicker. It was the ageing rocker's mullet that was enough to just see the ball wide of the post! It was Dicker to the rescue once more, just before half-time, as he launched himself into a desparte saving tackle to deny an almost certain goal.

At half-time it was all Kingstonian, and everyone was left wondering how the visitors hadn't scored. The Ducks were left hanging on...

Half-time: 1-0 Aylesbury

The Ducks looked sharp at the start of the second half, but sadly it didn't last. A fantastic free-kick from Craig Maskell very early on was well saved by Key. A nice K's move saw another shot well-held by Worgan.

Kingstonian continued to press the Ducks hard in their quest for a goal, and another couple of half-chances went begging. The home side were struggling to cope and Kingstonian were constantly finding extra men, but just couldn't get the ball in the goal. Headers and shots all came and went without producing what K's wanted.

The Ducks almost scored a comical goal, as keeper Key took hit a free-kick straight at an Aylesbury midfielder. With Key stranded, somebody hit a speculative effort, which almost beat the keeper to the goal, but he just managed to dive and smother the ball in time.

The chances continued to come for Kinstonian. A shot went wide, and the Ducks defence were caught napping from a throw-in. Phil Wingfield found himself goal-side, but steered his shot just wide of the far post. It was Wingfield who was responsible for the majority of K's poor finishing, and it was he who again missed soon after. This time finding himself alone in the box, 2 yards out, he managed to place his shot wide of the post. Indeed, his time was up and he found himself subbed soon after.

Lee Worgan made a number of saves to keep K's at bay. A chipped ball was only prevented from reaching the top corner by a flying punch clear, and a close range shot produced another excellent block. Another chance was wasted by the visitors, this time from a header, as the time ticked by.

The best moment of the match was reserved for the Ducks though, and the end of the game. A sublime volley from Craig Maskell (and I cannot stress quite how good this shot really was...A Premiership player would be proud of such technique) was kept out only by a combination of goalkeeper, crossbar and post. The rebound fell to Ibe, who saw his effort blocked. The ball this time fell to Maskell, who sent the ball wide. So unlucky, and such a great effort.

So it is Aylesbury who go on to the next round, in somewhat lucky cercumstances. Kingstonian will travel home perhaps slightly frustrated that they couldn't convert their numerous chances, but credit must go to the Ducks defence, and Lee Worgan in particular.