Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com

Tuesday 25th March 2003

Ryman League Premier Division

The New Eyrie, Bedford Attendance: 422

Notice: Undefined variable: homegoaltime in /var/www/vhosts/aylesburyunitedfc.co.uk/httpdocs/match.php on line 1438

Bedford Town

4 0

Aylesbury United

  Half-time: (1-0)  
  • Goal 46 : Own goal
Ian BROWNPlayer Image1
Steve JACKMANPlayer Image2
Liam FOLDSPlayer Image3
Paul COVINGTONPlayer Image4
Lee HOWEYPlayer Image5
Darren SARLLPlayer Image6
Carl WILLIAMSPlayer Image7
Robbie MILLERPlayer Image8
Darren LYNCHPlayer Image9
Graeme TOMLINSONPlayer Image10
Daniel FRENCHPlayer Image11
Adam HANCOCKPlayer Image13
Josh SOZZOPlayer Image14
Eddie LAWLEYPlayer Image15
Stuart BROWNPlayer Image17
1Player ImageLee WORGAN
2Player ImageGreg WILLIAMS
3Player ImageMarien IFURA
4Player ImageDaniel GORDON
5Player ImageBen MARTIN14 
6Player ImageRichard GELL
7Player ImageRoni JOE
8Player ImageDwayne PLUMMER
9Player ImagePeter HINKS
10Player ImageCraig MASKELL16 
11Player ImageKezie IBE12 
12Player ImageChris BANGURA11 
14Player ImageRory HUNTER5 
15Player ImageChris BOOTHE
16Player ImageJoe BAKER10 
17Player ImageGareth RISBRIDGER
MManager ImageSteve CORDERY
Match Report



The trip to Bedford saw Ducks fans in high spirits, and high voice for much of the game. Steve Cordery made three changes from Saturday's draw with Purfleet, with Craig Maskell returning to the side, and new signing Peter Hinks and the returning Roni Joe in the team.

From the start Bedford showed they meant business. A shot from Carl Williams was easily held by Lee Worgan on his near post. At the other end Aylesbury got forward through Kezie Ibe, although he was closed down as he tried to cross. Debutant striker Peter Hinks then tried a long range effort, which went wide of the post.

The game was a lively one, with both sides attacking freely, although it was Bedford doing more of the attacking. A home defender nearly headed into his own net, but keeper Ian Brown made a good stop to deny his colleague. Rob Miller then had two similar efforts on goal, both from just outside the area from half cleared crosses.

Bedford started to turn the screw, and after a winger tried a very ambitious lob which was always over, the best chance of the match (before the goals) was spurned. A good attacking move saw the ball played about nicely in front of goal, and the final shot was certainly goalbound, but for a fantastic goal-line clearance by Danny Gordon.

The home defence nearly scored another own-goal as the ball was shinned towards the net by a defender. Again Brown made a save. Roni Joe then came close to poking the ball home following a scramble from a corner. This was now Aylesbury's best period of the game, attack wise. Richard Gell then had an effort on the half volley following a cleared free-kick. The keeper watched it all the way though. Roni Joe then had another effort as the ball fell to him. His volley was mis-hit and went high and wide.

Bedford then got the goal the first goal. A free-kick was well delivered from the left, by Daniel French, to the very back of the back post, and Darren Lynch rose to nod a towering header into the net. 1-0 Bedford

For the remainder of the first half, Aylesbury struggled to get the ball. Graeme Tomlinson had an effort well held by Worgan from a free-kick in the final chance of the half.

Half-time: 1-0 Bedford

The second half started in the worst possible way for the Ducks. Bedford launched themselves on the offensive right from the whistle. Straight away Rob Miller hit a dipping shot at goal, which was just over. Then came the killer goal, from which there was no chance of recovery for the Ducks. The ball was played in, and headed on by Lynch. This caused panic in the Ducks defence, and Richard Gell and Lee Worgan got mixed up, the ball hit Gell, took a bobble off the pitch and rolled into the net. 2-0 Bedford

If Aylesbury weren't out of the game before, they were now. One sided doesn't come close to describing the game after this point. Simply everything went Bedford's way, and nothing the Ducks did could change that, for all their trying.

Rory Hunter replaced Ben Martin, and the Ducks reverted to their normal 4-4-2 formation. It didn't help though, as Bedford were soon three up. From a corner the ball was squeezed into the net from close range by Graeme Tomlinson, as the Aylesbury defence stood and watched. 3-0 Bedford

Three became four a few minutes later, as Darren Lynch rounded off a polished performance with his second of the match. From a simple cross a defender was beaten in the air and the header beat Worgan. Nothing fancy, a simple cross and a simple header. 4-0 Bedford

At this point the Ducks fans were concerned that the match would become a rout for the home side. Fortunately that didn't happen as Bedford eased off. However, they were still creating chances, something we just couldn't manage.

Lee Worgan made an excellent save from a good free-kick as Bedford continued their pressure. Joe Baker replaced Craig Maskell to try and give the Ducks impetus for a consolation effort.

As the match came to an end the Ducks just couldn't muster another chance on goal for a consolation. The biggest incident was a clash between Dwayne Plummer and Josh Sozzo on the far side, for which both players received a booking.