The Evo-Stik League South
Match Report



After our hard fought win over Ford two days ago, Ducks fans were in high spirits, and quite rightly looking for a win tonight at lowly Enfield. Lets get one thing straight - Enfield are a very poor side. They were more than happy to lump the ball forward at every opportunity, and on 8 out of 10 occasions they were caught offside. Unfortunately the Ducks were unable to break them down, and as has so often been the case this season, unable to create any clear cut chances.

Changes from Monday's team saw Joe Baker replace Adam Campion, and Artur Coreira replace Alex Stanley at left-back.

The first minute saw the Ducks create one of their best chances of the game, and things were looking good. A free-kick fell to Roni Joe, who twisted in the box before laying the ball to Michael Harper. The youngster hit a left footed shot which was well over the bar.

The lively Harper then had another shot, which was blocked by a defender on its way to goal. Then Richard Gell got forward on the right, and crossed the ball deep into the box. Joe Baker arrived late but he could only meet the ball with the side of his head, and it went well wide.

In a rare Enfield venture forward, ex-Duck Paul Armstrong broke down the right-wing, and his cross was claimed well by Lee Worgan.

Kezie Ibe got forward well and hit a shot from the corner of the box, which was parried by the Enfield keeper. The rebound fell to Harper, and his shot was also parried. On the half hour mark a near-post free-kick was headed wide by the plunging Fiston Manuella.

Enfield then had an effort through David Preece, who hit a weak half-volley well wide. For the Ducks Harper fired a good effort wide of the post.

Half-time came and went, with the Ducks struggling to create clear cut chances. Surely things would improve after the break?

As in the first-half, the Ducks attacked straight from the kick-off. A Roni Joe cross looked to the fans like it was creeping in under the bar. In fact it was behind the goal for most of its flight! For Enfield number 11 tried a long shot which was easily held by Worgan.

Still inside the first five minutes of the second half, and the game saw more action than the entire first half. A Phil Dicker error let in the number 10, whos fierce shot was once again held by Worgan.

Two minutes later and Aylesbury had a blatant penalty turned down. The Enfield keeper claimed a high ball, but spilt it. He reclaimed the ball, before losing it again, and Kezie Ibe picked up the loose ball. In his desperation the keeper stretched out his arm to try and get the ball, and in the process upended Kezie. Penalties don't come much more obvious, but the referee decided against the award of a spot kick, but only after looking at his linesman who was 50 yard away on the other side of the pitch.

Craig Maskell came on to replace Joe Baker with 15 second half minutes gone.

Richard Gell then curled a free-kick towards goal, which was top-corner bound, but for a good save by the Enfield keeper. Harper headed a free-kick wide soon after. Adam Campion came on to replace Roni Joe.

Lee Worgan was then called upon to deny Enfield taking the lead. Enfield's substitute, who I'm sure had a name, but will be known as no.12, got onto a long ball, and unleashed a quality overhead kick, which was headed for the bottom corner. Lee Worgan made a brilliant finger tip save to deny him, and save Aylesbury's blushes.

Ryan Wiffin came on for Michael Harper as the game entered the last 10 minutes.

Right at the end Aylesbury had another penalty appeal turned down, and again it involved the keeper. This was not as obvious though, but still appeared to be a legitimate claim. As the ball broke out to the right of the box, Kezie was charged down by the keeper, and apparently taken out by his legs. The referee again didn't want to know.

And so the game finished 0-0. At least we didn't lose the game, but Saturday's match against Heybridge, and then the trip to Chesham are becoming more and more important.