Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



The Ducks made the short journey to Hertfordshire knowing that a win would make them mathematically safe from relegation. However, Wood were in desperate need of a win themselves to keep their fate in their own hands. A very emotional night was undoubtedly in store for both sets of fans!

Steve Cordery named an unchanged side from Saturday's vital home win against Kingstonian. Meanwhile, Boreham Wood named three ex-Ducks in their side - Corey Browne, Garry Wotton and Scott "Steve" Honeyball of "disallowed goal at Port Vale" fame.

Aylesbury got off to a good start, as Chris Bangura set up Adam Campion early on, but Campion's shot was straight at goalkeeper Noel Imber. Another chance fell the way of the Ducks soon after, through an unlikely source, as Honeyball's ill-advised backpass was intercepted by the lively Bangura, who stabbed the ball past Imber only to see the ball cleared off the line by a Wood defender.

United did take a deserved early lead after 13 minutes, and Bangura was again heavily involved. He was felled inside the Wood penalty area, and referee Mr Ives decided to award a penalty. Goalkeeper Imber got a hand to Craig Maskell's penalty but it wasn't enough to keep it out, as Maskell scored his 23rd goal and 8th penalty of the season. 1-0 Aylesbury.

Wood had their first noteworthy effort of the game, as Andrew Findlay shot wide from twenty yards, but the game was becoming increasingly scrappy and neither side was creating clear-cut chances. With 23 minutes played, the home side were forced to replace Imber with substitute goalkeeper Kenny Addai, who was to have a decisive influence on the night's result.

On 36 minutes came a real bolt from the blue. A defensive header from Steve McGrath following a Wood set piece fell to Youness Nabil, whose volley from twenty yards flew past Lee Worgan and into his top corner for a stunning equaliser for the home side. It really came from nowhere and was Wood's first shot on target. 1-1.

Nabil had the final shot of the first half as he struck a free kick over Worgan's crossbar, but Aylesbury could consider themselves unlucky to be on level terms at half time, having had most of the play in the first period.

Wood began the second half as they had ended the first, as Gary Dixon found himself with a free header, but could only direct a weak effort straight at Lee Worgan.

Then came the deciding moment of the game, and possibly of the season for the home side. Adam Campion made a good driving run at the Wood defence, and his hopeful 20-yard shot was close to sub goalkeeper Addai. Disastrously for Addai and Wood though, the ball slipped through the goalkeeper's gloves and trickled over the line. 2-1 Aylesbury.

Following this goal, Wood began to desperately push forward, and the game became more open as both sides looked likely to score. Firstly, Lee Worgan was performing his usual heroics for the Ducks, brilliantly denying Findlay from close range. Worgan then made another good stop, as Mark Preston's effort from a narrow angle was beaten away by the young Welshman. Gary Dixon turned well to create a shooting opportunity for himself, but his shot was off-target.

A confrontation involving Phil Dicker and Scott Honeyball saw Dicker booked, while Honeyball was not punished for his part. The frustrated Steve Cordery was sent to the stands by the referee for his protests, although his frustrations were perhaps understandable, as four Ducks players had now been booked, and all of them had been debatable.

The Ducks had chances to increase their lead as the home side took more risks in pushing men forward. Adam Campion cut inside from a wide left position, but saw his shot saved, while Marien Ifura shot over from the rebound. Substitute Roni Joe's shot following a fine run was also parried by Addai, with Campion's follow-up blocked by some desperate Wood defending.

Substitute Darren Raymond shot well over before time finally ran out for Boreham Wood, as the referee brought the match to an end. The last moments of the game had been agony for the travelling Ducks support, and the final whistle was greeted with scenes of jubilation. The players had made a superb recovery after the heartbreak of the FA Trophy Semi Final, and have done us all proud in avoiding relegation with such a marvellous run of form since that game. Very well done to the lads.