Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



After the disappointment of the defeat at St Albans, the caretaker management team were once again in place and ready to take on near neighbours Bedford Town.

The two sides both now have an ex-manager in common, as well as several ex-players, but on the pitch there was only one ex-Bedford player in the squad, and Aaran Cavill belongs to Northampton.

The match started well from the Ducks point of view, as they played the ball about neatly. As early as the first minute Lewis Pritchard had a chance, after breaking free down the right, but fired a shot into the side netting.

Some more excellent work by the young striker resulted in him crossing the ball all the way across the box, to the waiting Nadim 'George' Akhtar, who hit a right-footed effort almost straight at Ian Brown.

At the other end a rare chance fell to Bedford, as Gavin Jaggard volleyed waywardly wide. Aylesbury continued their good work, as a neat move involving Pritchard and Danny Gray lead to the striker firing a powerful effort over the bar.

Rory Hunter then got into the act, with a right-footed volley which was heading for the bottom corner, but for a deflection off another Aylesbury player.

The early promising work seemed to have been totally undone, as in the 32nd minute the visitors took the lead. A ball played over the top, down the right-flank saw Kevin Davies race out of his goal, only to be beaten to the ball. The helpless keeper could then only watch as events unfolded. Twice Jaggard shot at goal, and twice his poor efforts were heroicly blocked on the line by Dean Powles. The ball rebounded a third time, and Daniel French managed to guide a header, which just dipped under the bar and in. 1-0 Bedford

To be a goal down was a cruel setback on the Ducks, and to their credit they picked themselves up and set about equalising almost immediately. A free-kick was won on the corner of the area. The initial effort was blocked from Aaran Cavill, and after the ball was half-cleared the midfielder was on-hand to steer an effort into the back of the net. It may even have been an own-goal, but I've given credit to Cavill. 1-1

At this point both sides were playing well, and Bedford were at their best of the half. After Darren Sarll had skied a volley, Bedford were awarded a penalty, for a pull on Jaggard by Powles, just inside the box. After some debate as to who would be taking the kick, Aylesbury resident Steve Jackman stepped up, and launched an exquisite kick that rose out of the stadium, and is likely still orbiting the earth now! A penalty straight out of the Jaap Stam set-piece handbook!

Almost straight after failing to re-take the lead, Bedford were made to pay, as Aylesbury grabbed the initiative for themselves, right-on half-time. A corner missed the first man, and dropped perfectly for Matt Hayward to power the ball home with his head. 2-1 Aylesbury

Half-time: Aylesbury 2-1 Bedford

The second started well once more, as United looked to maintain the pressure on the visitors. Some more excellent work by Cavill saw Lewis Pritchard played in, and his shot on the turn was just wide.

The game was seemingly won for Aylesbury, as John Marsh played a superb through ball for Pritchard to run onto. The young striker kept his head to finish well past Brown. 3-1 Aylesbury

The goal prompted Eagles boss Dave Randall to make two changes - bringing on Daniel Purzycki and Drew Roberts, a change that was to prove crucial to the game.

Three minutes after the goal, and Roberts was already proving a menace, finding himself in behind the Aylesbury defence. Kevin Davies once more came out of his goal, but this time to good effect, smothering Roberts' shot.

The away side were suddenly a force in the game, as they threatened the Ducks defence with worrying regurlarity. Shane Huke attempted an ambitious effort, which went well over the bar.

Then followed a huge goalmouth scramble, during which it was difficult to see just how Bedford failed to score. Daniel Purzycki then got it all wrong, heading a dangerous cross well over the bar.

Another key substitution, this time for the Ducks, saw Aaran Cavill replaced by Tom Alabaster. Cavill had been ruling the midfield, and sadly he was much missed following his withdrawal, and will be much missed when his loan spell comes to an end.

With ten minutes remaining, Bedford got their much coveted goal, to get themselves back in the game. Once again Drew Roberts, with a well timed run, broke free of the defence, rounded Davies, and slotted home. 3-2 Aylesbury

The goal set-up a nervous ending to the game, and the Ducks found they had to compete with solid Bedford pressure. Davies made a good save, tipping over a curling Eddie Lawley free-kick. Roberts came close again, as he got free, but took the ball one step too far and found the angle against him.

Aylesbury did have a chance to score again, as Rory Hunter volleyed wide with Ian Brown out of his goal.

Bedford got their equaliser with a minute of normal time remaining. Drew Roberts nipped in to cleverly lob Kevin Davies. 3-3

The game still wasn't over, as first Aidie Corcoran headed a cross wide, before Bedford continued their assualt on the Aylesbury goal. In the final minute, another scramble saw Bedford get the ball in the back of the net for a fourth time. As their fans celebrated though, the referee judged that Kevin Davies had been pushed, and the goal was disallowed.

At the end of the game there was to little dejection from any of bthe players or fans. Every player wearing Green & White had played out of their skins for the entire match, and given everything they had. For this, they can feel justly proud, and for achieving a draw full credit has to go to the team.