Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



And so to the end of another season in Buckingham Road's history. And yet another turbulent season has been witnessed by the hallowed turf. One thing not recently seen in these parts is an Aylesbury goal - something much overdue today, as United went into this match with Kettering on the back of an 8 match home goal draught.

There were two changes in personnel for the match - Jamie Moss and Jamie Gould returned to action, replacing the injured Greg Williams and Alex Giscombe. For Kettering there was a return for ex-management team Kevin Wilson and Lee Howey, and players Mark Bunn, Aaran Cavill, Darren Lynch and Lewis Reid.

Kettering made all the early running, and Aylesbury had Jack Rashid to thank for keeping them at bay. On ten minutes Kettering's Richard Graham broke free, but saw his initial effort saved. Collecting the ball again, Graham cut inside, but once again saw his effort brilliantly stopped by Rashid.

Two minutes later Cavill tried a speculator, after a free-kick was only partially cleared, but the midfielder pulled his effort wide of the post. Defender Brett Solkhon then ventured forward, and demonstrated just why he doesn't line up at centre-forward, with a shot as wide as they come.

Darren Lynch, who was generally marshalled well by the Ducks, then saw a shot saved by the in-form Rashid.

Having soaked up plenty of pressure from their visitors, it was now Aylesbury's turn to take the game to Kettering, and the home side nearly took the lead through Adam Garner. A deep free-kick was well swung in, and a point blank header from Garner was straight at Mark Bunn. The rebound fell invitingly to Garner, but he could only scoop his shot onto the crossbar, before the ball was hacked away.

Two minutes later, and Alvin Bubb terrorised the defence, cutting inside and flashing a cross-shot across the face of goal. It only needed a touch to turn it home...

Half-time: Aylesbury 0-0 Kettering

The second half started with Aylesbury slow out of the dressing room, and they were made to pay for a momentary lapse in defence. A seemingly harmless free-kick was allowed to bounce up, and Richard Graham swung his boot at it, caught the ball sweetly, and sent it flying in past Rashid. 1-0 Kettering

For all their good work in the first half, the Ducks had been undone for a split second lack of concentration, and frustration was evident on the faces of the Aylesbury players. Jay Gould took his frustration out on the ball, wellying a long-range volley out of the stadium and towards Bierton!

The Ducks were working hard, apparently determined a much coveted goal. Alvin Bubb went close with an acrobatic flying volley, after Ryan Wiffin headed a free-kick back across goal.

Kettering regurlarly looked threatening on the counter-attack, and one such move released Lynch, who pulled the ball back, and a fierce shot was cleared off the line by a brave Aylesbury defender. Substitute Chris Difante then spurned a good chance by heading over a precise cross.

The game was opening up, and Kettering appeared nervous. Alvin Bubb went on another run, and had a shot which trickled through to Bunn in goal.

Both sides went close with free-kick routines in the closing stages of the game. Kettering's Scott McCafferty drove the ball wide, after the Lynch's initial free-kick was charged down, and Garner hit an Aylesbury free-kick just wide from the edge of the area.

With two minutes to go, United were still in the hunt for an equaliser, Garner again going close, this time with a rasping drive that zipped just over the bar.

Any chance evaporated though, as Aylesbury's dreams were snatched away by the referee - who awarded an 89th minute penalty to Kettering, which looked a little harsh. Who else but Darren Lynch to step up and blast the ball into the top corner. 2-0 Aylesbury

The referee blew for full-time shortly afterwards, and for United disappointment all round. And so the Buckingham Road goal drought will continue until next season.