The Evo-Stik League South
Match Report


Aylesbury United won their first match in the FA Cup for three years with a comfortable win over Cornard United, a team three levels below them in the non-league pyramid. The only change to the team which had been beaten by Team Bath the previous week saw youngster Dean Powles replacing Jason Burnham, with Paul Curtis shuffling his pack, and deploying Paul Lamb at the centre of a three-man backline.

The Ducks made a good start to the match, dominating the early proceedings. Leon Gutzmore linked up with Paul Edgeworth, but he was denied the first shot on goal by some good defensive play by his marker, who knocked the ball away from danger. Gutzmore himself then turned sharply and chipped an effort, which floated wide of the post.

Cornard were unlucky not to have won a penalty - a decision which could have changed the course of the game. Kai Ridley the offender seemingly dragging his man to the floor.

Aylesbury continued to press though, and Gutzmore had another two chances - volleying an excellent Daniel Mead cross wide, and then using his strength to hold off a defender before shooting wide once more.

The breakthrough came in the eleventh minute, thanks to the determination of Greg Williams. Edgeworth's raking pass was originally cut out by Gareth Boon, but closed down the full-back and won back posession, before racing clear and finishing coolly past Darren Moyes in Cornard's goal. 1-0 Aylesbury

The chances continued to fall the way of the Buckinghamshire side, but they continued to go begging. Neil Champelovier was the culprit this time, volleying wide a ball which was allowed to come all the way across the box.

Gutzmore once again used his pace and strength to chase down a long ball, beyond the home defence, and he appeared to have been brought down inside the area by Mark Thebold, but the referee waved play-on. Minutes later and the Ducks were awarded a spot-kick. A shot at goal following a corner was blocked by the hand of Boon, and the referee had no hesistation in pointing to the spot. Gutzmore stepped up, but unfortunately his poor penalty was straight at Moyes, who deflected the ball away.

Cornard had their first shot at goal shortly afterwards, as they grew in confidence at the fact that it was still 1-0. Their first effort, was in fact their only effort of the opening perioud though, Matt Cutmore having a weak shot easily caught by Jack Rashid.

As the half came to a close, midfielder Champelovier and Cracknell both went close. Champelovier saw his shot well tipped wide by Moyes, and Cracknell fired over after a free-kick was squared to him.

Half-time: Cornard United 0-1 Aylesbury United

The second-half began in complete contrast to the first, but still yielded the same result - an early Aylesbury goal. Chances came thick and fast, with Darren Bethell, by far and away Cornard's best player, having an ambitious effort go wide, and another into Rashid's arms.

Gutzmore wasn't letting his penalty 'miss' get to him, as he levered the ball down for Dean Powles to fire in a shot which was easily held, and then have an effort of his own cleared off the line, following a good run by Edgeworth. Edgeworth had a shot himself which was spilled, and re-gathered by Moyes, as Cornard desperately clung-on to their one-goal defecit.

The second goal was inevitible though, and it duly arrived in the 56th minute. Neil Champelovier was played through by Gutzmore, and he weaved through the box before sliding the ball past Moyes. 2-0 Aylesbury

Aylesbury visibly relaxed after the second went in, and began to play some of the football witnessed earlier in the season. A third was to follow just six minutes later - Edgeworth and Gutzmore spectacularly beating the offside trap to leave themselves ten-yards clear of Cornard's backline. Edgeworth merely had to square the ball and as Moyes desperately tried to reach the cross Gutzmore was left with a formality of a finish, tapping into the empty net. 3-0 Aylesbury

Champelovier had another effort go over, before Aylesbury hit their fourth. Powles' powerful effort was spilled by Moyes, and substitute Danny Gray was on hand to rifle the rebound high into the net, for his first strike of the season. 4-0 Aylesbury

With fifteen minutes to play their was a positive event of another kind - Colin Baker, another product of the clubs' Youth Development scheme, came off the bench to make his Senior debut.

Rashid was called into action, tipping wide a fierce strike, before the match turned into a show of 'How to Win a Penalty' in the closing stages. First Champelovier went over under pressure in the box, for Paul Lamb to convert, and make it 5-0 Aylesbury

Then in the final minute, after the lively Bethell had a shot blocked, Cracknell was tripped in the area, and he stepped up to net his own penalty. 6-0 Aylesbury

In the end it was a good days work for Aylesbury United, and they can look forward to Monday's draw to determine their opponents in the 2nd Qualifying Round.