Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



Aylesbury United's winless League run at Buckingham Road was extended, despite a battling performance, as they were defeated 2-1 by Cirencester Town. The match saw caretaker manager hand a full debut to Kofi Sintim.

The match got off to a slow start, both teams happy to bask in the October sunshine. Gareth Hopkins had a speculative effort in the ninth minute, volleying over, and Michael Jackson hit a low effort which skidded straight into Jack Rashid's arms.

Midway through the half and the Ducks were without a shot at goal, with Cirencester still having the better of the play. Scott Griffin found the space to get a shot in at goal, which was wide of the post. Hopkins then headed over a good cross.

Aylesbury's first effort came through captain Paul Lamb, who won the ball back in midfield, before trying an ambitious effort which never troubled Paul Thompson.

Lamb's afternoon was soon to come to an end, as he picked up an injury. He was replaced by Stuart Smeathers.

The supporters were then privy to the amazing spectacle of Matt Hayward attempting a 25-yard volley. Having come up for a throw, the veteran defender hooked the ball goalwards, and his dipping effort dropped onto the top of the net.

Cirencester had further efforts before the end of the half, as they hit the side-netting with a deflected shot. Then came the best chance of the match so far. Darren Robison's early effort was palmed away by Rashid. Hopkins then pulled the rebound wide of the post when a goal looked inevitible.

Half-time: Aylesbury 0-0 Cirencester

The second-half exploded into life. Unfortunately for Aylesbury it was with two goals for the Centurions. After just four minutes the visitors were ahead. A low cross was whipped in, and Griffin nipped in between two defenders to prod the ball home. 1-0 Cirencester

Two-minutes later it was two-nil. Jason Burnham, who was partly to blame for the first goal, conceded a penalty which was easily converted by Robison. 2-0 Cirencester

It could have been much worse for Aylesbury, as again Cirencester had a good chance. Marc Richards was presented with an easy header from a looping cross, but he directed the ball over the bar.

The Ducks eventually started to play the game their way, and after good work to win the ball back by Greg Williams, Daniel Mead played the ball neatly into Neil Champelovier, who's effort was well fielded by Thompson.

The move encouraged Aylesbury forward further and Hayward of all people saw an excellent half-volley parried away by the keeper. The rebound fell invitingly to Champelovier, but he badly miscued wide - although the linesman's flag was raised for offside anyway.

With just over fifteen minutes remaining, the Ducks' efforts were rewarded as they pulled a goal back. A quickly taken free-kick from just outside the area was played in to Dean Powles, who neatly slotted in his first senior goal for the club. 2-1 Cirencester

The goal was to set up a frenzied end to the game, but for all their hard work the home side couldn't find much more in the way of chances. Instead of was Cirencester who threatened, as Griffin had a shot saved from point blank range by Rashid, and Neil Arndale shot well over late on.

The Ducks did fashion one late chance to level the match - the very final action of the game. A surging run from Mead resulted in the ball being played to Powles, who placed his shot over the bar from just outside the are.

Cirencester can be delighted with the three points they took back to Gloucestershire. In many ways they were fortunate with their two goals, and the Ducks can count themselves a little unlucky not to earn a draw. Plenty of positives to take from the game though - a good battling display from the whole team.