Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
The Evo-Stik League South
Match Report



Aylesbury faced Gloucester City looking to bag three points against the Tigers for the second time in three weeks. New signing Daniel French made his debut, and there was place for Danny Gray in attack to replace the departed Leon Gutzmore.

The first half was disappointing from both sides, with neither getting to grips with the game. Gloucester forced a number of corners, which caused problems with the wind swinging the ball into the area. Daniel Mead had to be alert to clear one off the line early on, and Lyndon Tomkins crashed a volley wide when following up.

Just on the half-hour mark Jimmy Cox flicked a header wide, and Colin Baker saw a near-post shot saved having had the ball diverted to him by Danny Gray.

Aylesbury's best chance of the half fell to Paul Edgeworth, on the end of Aylesbury's best move of the half. French moved the ball quickly onto Baker, who played in Gray. The latter could've shot himself, but instead slid in Edgeworth who saw his effort saved low by Bath.

Another good chance soon followed, but Jaggard couldn't quite jump high enough to connect with Powles' hanging cross after some more neat football from the Ducks.

The half ended with two great chances for Gloucester though. Firstly Darryl Addis did well to beat two Aylesbury players on the near touchline, come infield and find space to fire in a shot, albeit straight at Jack Rashid. Then a misplaced defensive header by Andrew Hodges fell to Cox, and when he really should've scored Rashid managed to tip his shot wide.

Half-time: Aylesbury 0-0 Gloucester

The introduction of Garry Cook at half-time gave Aylesbury more presence in attack, and the more direct approach started to pay dividends. Danny Gray skidded a header wide, after a weak attempt to head clear by a Gloucester defender.

Gray then cut inside with the ball and ferociously shot for the near-post, forcing Bath to parry his effort away. Paul Lamb then tried a rare shot at goal, striking an early effort over the bar.

French was terrorising the Tigers' defence with startling regularity, and it seemed only a matter of time before one of his crosses paid off. The breakthrough came midway through the second period. Danny Gray's fantastic ball was collected by French, and the winger delivered a pinpoint cross which Garry Cook buried at the near-post. 1-0 Aylesbury

The goal visibly lifted the home side, and Edgeworth went close minutes later after a dribbled forward and shot, which was in the end easily held by Bath.

One became two with just under fifteen minutes remaining, with French rounding off an excellent debut with a superb solo goal. Kai Ridley's ball picked him out on the left touchline, and as he beat two defenders the space opened up for him to sprint through and deftly lob Bath and send the ball in off the bar. 2-0 Aylesbury

The result was finally settled, although Lee Smith hit the side-netting for the Tigers with a low-shot, and French could have scored again but fired his shot straight at Bath having gone on another run.

Veteran Adie Harris really should have pulled a goal back for the visitors, but fired wide when well placed, and at the other end Edgeworth lashed a decent effort at goal from distance, but it was easily held by Bath.

With the match ending 2-0 Aylesbury moved back up to 4th place in the League, as Gloucester made the journey home having become the only side not to have scored past United this season.