The Evo-Stik League South
Match Report



Aylesbury made the long journey to Kings Lynn looking for revenge over their Norfolk opponents for the 4-1 defeat they inflicted at Buckingham Road in March. A win would boost the Ducks play-off aspirations as the scramble for places heated up.

The match began with the home side on top, and Aylesbury prepared to bide their time and launch counter attacks. Darren Hay had the first chance, heading Jack Defty's flighted cross straight into the arms of Rashid, before Mark Angel blasted a volley over the bar feeding off Hammond's long ball.

Just before the twenty minute mark Danny Bloomfield wasted a good opportunity, turning Matt O'Halloran's cross wide at the near post after the full-back had scurried forward down the flank.

Aylesbury then clicked into gear and created their best opening of the first half. Kearns spread the ball wide for the advancing Greg Williams, and he cut inside and flashed a low shot just wide of Steve Wilson's far-post.

Ex-Rushden defender Gary Setchell nearly became the unlikely man to open the scoring, as he ran forward and Aylesbury's defence parted, allowing him the space to drive the ball low, but wide of Rashid's goal.

Sam McMahon went close after Bloomfield had cleverly let the ball run through to him, before Rashid made a superb save to tip Mark Angel's curling free-kick wide of the post.

United were struggling for ideas in the final third, but one move forward resulted in Jamie Kearns just failing to connect with French's excellent cross into the box, but it summed up a frustrating half for the Ducks.

Lynn meanwhile continued to waste their chances, as O'Halloran stole in but fired wide, and Angel fired way over the bar after an Aylesbury counter attack broke down giving the home side space to attack themselves.

Half-time: Kings Lynn 0-0 Aylesbury

The second half began with Angel again firing way off mark, but he had the last laugh as he gave his side the lead five minutes after the break. He lined up another free-kick, and despatched the ball into the net sublimely. 1-0 Kings Lynn

It was a cruel blow to Aylesbury, who despite their lack of attacking panache had actually defended very well, with Ryan Doherty, on his full debut, particurlarly superb.

Paul Edgeworth soon replaced Greg Williams as United seeked a fresh attcking option.

Rashid plucked Defty's header from a corner kick comfortably out of the air, before more great play from Daniel French saw the winger pass the ball to Edgeworth, who teed up Drew Roberts. Unfortunately the diminutive striker fired his rasping effort just over the bar, with Wilson rooted to the spot.

United were hit on the counter-attack after a Paul Lamb free-kick routine broke down, and they suddenly found themselves four against one in defence. Bloomfield's touch was poor though, taking him away from goal and three men waiting for a penalty area tap-in, and he had to settle for a corner.

Roberts then went on a run of his own on the break, but with no support could only go for goal himself and his dipping effort just went over the bar.

Frustration seemed to get the better of the Ducks, and Hayward and Folds picked up silly bookings in the final minutes, and Lamb was somewhat lucky to stay on the pitch for a reckless looking challenge.

Bloomfield wasn't having the best of afternoons, and he should have scored with the last action of the game. A rare mistake from Folds allowed the Lynn striker in, but with only Rashid to beat his effort lacked conviction, but still had to be well saved by the Aylesbury stopper low to his left.

The final whistle blew after much stoppage time added by the referee, with the end brought to a damaging defeat for United which sees them drop to eighth place in the League and needing to win both remaining games if they are to have a realistic chance of making the playoffs.