Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report


The Ducks finally banished Wroxham from the FA Cup with a somewhat flattering 4-2 win at Buckingham Road. United recovered from a nightmare spell at the start of the second half to storm to a 4-1 lead, before the visitors netted a late consolation.

The opening stages were even, with only half chances on offer early on. Jamie Kearns was beaten to a loose ball by keeper Robert Woodcock, and Drew Robert's ambitious overhead kick trickled well wide.

At the other end Liam Folds misjudged a long ball which bounced off his toe to the feet of Adrian Coote, but his shot was comfortably held by Jack Rashid.

After 24 minutes Roberts threatened having been played in by Kearns. Turning his marker this way and that, his eventual shot was wide of the target.

Two minutes later though Aylesbury did have the lead, in controversial circumstances. Roberts showed great persistence to chase down a ball at the byline, and as he crossed back Wroxham appealed that the ball had gone out of play. Gavin Jaggard was on hand to convert at the far-post, albeit seemingly with his arm, but the goal was allowed to stand. 1-0 Aylesbury

Justin Fox had a free-kick held by Rashid for Wroxham, before Jaggard failed to make the most of a good chance at the other end. Having been played clean through he could only hit a tame shot that was gathered in by Woodstock at his near post.

Just before the interval Lee Gilman beat Matt Hayward to a long kick downfield, but his shot was well collected low down by Rashid.

Half-time: Aylesbury 1-0 Wroxham

To say Aylesbury were sluggish in starting the second period would be a gross understatement. Wroxham dominated proceedings for a good twenty minute spell, United struggling to come to terms with their opponents' raised game.

Coote took the ball down but smashed well over just two minutes in, before Gary Gilmore wasted a great opportunity by taking a poor touch in front of goal which saw the ball run away from him.

Wroxham captain Fox went on a mazy run on 55 minutes, but his weak shot didn't match the skill that came before it, before the visitors netted a deserved equaliser when Gilman turned in Gilmore's dangerous low cross. 1-1

United continued to struggle, and the match seemed destined for an upset as Wroxham stretched the Ducks. A dangerous, teasing cross from Shaun Howes was nearly turned into his own net by Abassi, an effort that marked the end of the visitors' resurgence.

Desperate for an extended cup run, the Aylesbury faithful roared their team on and the team visibly lifted themselves and began to drag themselves back into the match.

Minutes later, having found how to pass the ball again, United went ahead once more. A superb flighted cross was perfectly placed, and Drew Roberts got in between two defenders to nod the ball home. 2-1 Aylesbury

The pendulum had suddenly swung in the green's direction, and after Kearns headed Roberts' corner wide, the latter doubled his tally. A defence splitting pass picked out United's top-scorer and he rounded the stranded Woodcock before running in and calmly slotting home. 3-1 Aylesbury

Things got even better when United made the score even more flattering five minutes later. Substitute Gary Crawshaw held up the ball, before spreading it right to Dean Powles. His sublime cross was nodded back by Paul Edgeworth, and Jamie Kearns was on hand to bury the finish and score his first for the club. 4-1 Aylesbury

4-1 was certainly a harsh reflection on Wroxham, whose spirit should be applauded as they more than matched Aylesbury over the two games and certainly didn't deserve the scoreline they found themselves facing.

Indeed, there late reply probably can't be described as consolation, but it reduced the deficit anyway. An awful mix-up between Abassi and Hayward saw the ball drop to Gilman 5-yards out, and he smashed home his second goal of the night. 4-2 Aylesbury

Mr Feerick blew for full time reasonably promptly, and United were left to celebrate their progression to the next round, where Folkestone Invicta of the Ryman League await.