Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



United traveled to Gloucester with 'new' signing John Lawford, who returned to the club from Chesham United this week, and he made an immediate impact by scoring 54 minutes into his return.

After much rain in the Westcountry the game had been in doubt beforehand, but despite the conditions the match was a hard fought affair which could have gone either way during the course of ninety minutes.

Gloucester also had a new signing on show in Alex Sykes, on-loan from Bath City, and his cross after five minutes was fired goalwards by Lee Davis only for Darryl Addis to nod the ball wide of the target.

Lawford then signaled his threat by shooting wide having created an opportunity for himself at the other end, before Lazarus shot into Matt Bath's waiting arms after Paul Edgeworth had passed to him.

United were firmly in control at this point, and a frenzy of efforts on goal saw two shots desperately blocked by Gloucester players. One shot was a stinging volley from the boot of Rob Gould which seemed as though it would burst the net.

Two minutes later and Aylesbury came close to breaking the deadlock when Neil Lazarus, reportedly a transfer target of Banbury United, had a shot on the end of a great move which hit the post before being scrambled away.

Tompkins headed a free-kick wide of the post for the home side, and Lazarus struck a set-piece over the bar, as Aylesbury's spell of dominance came to an end and the game entered a spell of chances for Gloucester before the interval.

Sykes came forward and shot for goal, but Jack Rashid was alert enough to beat the ball away and out for a corner as it bounced in front of him.

He had to do even better from the resulting corner, saving well at the feet of Luke Corbett. As the ball dropped to the striker for a second chance he went for a spectacular lob, which dropped well over the bar.

Finally, right on half-time, Corbett was allowed space to drill in a low shot, which went wide of the post.

Half-time: Gloucester 0-0 Aylesbury

Gloucester's Tompkins began the second half by heading a corner wide, before Lawford's moment came. A great counter-attacking move was ended by Lazarus delivering a pinpoint cross, and the veteran striker arrived to head home. 1-0 Aylesbury

United could have doubled their lead within three minutes, but for a blinding save by Matt Bath in Gloucester's goal. A Lawford shot deflected up in the air, and fell to Lazarus before finding its way to Scott McCafferty who had no qualms about hitting a quick shot which was superbly tipped wide by Bath.

Lawford then saw another shot blocked by Bath, and it was Gloucester's turn to counter. Davis got away down the right flank, and he flashed the ball across goal, just out of the reach of Corbett.

Rashid made another good save to deny a fierce volley from Neil Griffiths, but from the corner kick Gloucester got their equaliser, although shrouded in controversy.

The initial kick was only half cleared, and as the ball was played back in Matt Hayward was seemingly impeded and could only manage to head the ball into the path of Dave Wilkinson who kept his cool to finish well. 1-1

For their vociferous protests three Aylesbury players were booked, and Danny Nicholls was given a warning by Mr. Sheffield.

United weren't quite a spent force and Daniel Mead got forward well to hit a dipping effort just over the bar having been played in by substitute Aston Goss.

But as the game wore on Aylesbury grew tired, not helped by the heavy pitch, and either team could have snatched a dramatic late winner.

Rashid performed more heroics to deny Addis, after the striker had let loose with a fantastic half-volley on the turn, tipped over by Aylesbury's stopper.

Then just as the game drew to a close Paul Edgeworth made his first telling burst forward with the ball, and smashed a left-footed effort narrowly over the bar, as Aylesbury had to make do with a point.