The Evo-Stik League South
Match Report



Aylesbury suffered their biggest defeat since February 2003 at the hands of Tiverton Town, who sent them crashing to a 5-0 defeat.

Gavin Jaggard returned from injury and suspension to start in midfield, but there was still no Matt Hayward, whilst young goalkeeper Sam Styles made his debut between the sticks to deputise for the injured Jack Rashid.

United started fairly brightly, John Lawford having a left-footed effort on the turn saved in the opening minutes, and Jonathan Bewers chipping into the keeper's arms a minute later.

But Tiverton were to quickly take control of the game, and Aylesbury had Styles to thank for keeping some brief parity. Hotshot James Mudge was put clean through after Liam Folds' pass was intercepted, but with all the time in the world Styles managed to grab his low effort. Then, midfielder Chris Bale was picked out by Mudge in the area, but again Styles saved.

The visitors took the lead after 24 minutes though, and who else but Mudge to open the scoring. Put clean through there was little Styles could do this time, as Tivvy's top-scorer deftly lobbed the ball into the net. 1-0 Tiverton

United then had the bar to thank for keeping the score down, as Mike Booth rose highest to head a free-kick against the woodwork.

Aylesbury did threaten again in the final fifteen minutes of the first period. Gavin Jaggard tested Mark Ovendale with a low shot after a free-kick fell to him, but as the goalkeeper spilled the ball the linesman raised his flag for offside against the following up players.

Tiverton survived a goalmouth scramble, with Lawford desperately trying to turn the ball home from Greg Williams' cross, but it just wouldn't run for the veteran striker.

Mudge then fired an ambitious effort well wide of the post before the referee blew for the interval.

Half-time: Aylesbury 0-1 Tiverton

Tivvy quickly asserted more pressure on the Aylesbury goal after the break, and Styles made a superb save to tip wide Kwami Ampadu's curling free-kick 90 seconds from the restart.

But there was a sense of deja vu when Tiverton, like Team Bath the previous week, quickly added a second goal. United's defending was non-existent, and Booth was allowed a free-header and made no mistake. 2-0 Tiverton

Styles made another save, this time to deny substitute Dave Fambley, but there was nothing he could do to deny the visitors their third. A great ball clipped over the top set Chris Bale away and running, and he finished excellently off the far post. 3-0 Tiverton

It was starting to become embarrassingly easy for the away side, and they duly added another three minutes later when defender Darren Davies glanced home a header. 4-0 Tiverton

Strangely, the four-goal deficit seemed to inspire Aylesbury into playing some of their best football of the match. John Lawford was put free of the backline, but his shot across goal cruelly rebounded off the post, as not for the first time luck went against the former Chesham man.

Lawford broke free again moments later, this time picking out youngster Aston Goss who drilled a low effort wide. Lawford himself then crashed a dipping volley over the bar, having been fed by Edgeworth.

But as United pushed forward they were always susceptible to Tiverton's counter-attacks, and they added a fourth with one such move, Mudge crossing for Richard Pears to nod home at the near-post. 5-0 Tiverton

By now a large percentage of the already small Buckingham Road crowd had left the stadium, and in truth they missed little in the way of further action. Mudge, now in showboating mode, smashed a spectacular effort wide of the target in what turned out to be the only remaining highlight of another afternoon to forget for Aylesbury United.