Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



Aylesbury recorded a much needed win against play-off hopefuls Banbury United at Buckingham Road.

In an otherwise unchanged line-up, Neil Trebble brought Aston Goss into the starting team, and the youngster was a driving force behind United's win.

The Ducks stopped the rot of conceding early goals in best possible manner, by scoring early instead! After just three minutes Goss went on a spellbinding run down the left flank before picking out Kieron Deane, who kept his composure to score on his home debut. 1-0 Aylesbury

Banbury tried for an instant response, but Ady Fuller's free-kick was hit with power straight over the crossbar.

It was Aylesbury who continued to look the more threatening, and Gould should have done better when he headed a corner over.

Mark Bridge tested Alan Foster minutes later, feeding on Leon Gutzmore flick he ran through but Foster was alert enough to charge the shot down.

Then followed one of Aylesbury's best moves of the season. Gutzmore back heeled Reece Kirk's long kick into the path of Deane, who picked out Bridge first time, but again Foster was off his line quickly to save the shot well.

It was Goss who turned scorer though on the half-hour mark to deservedly double the home side's advantage. A quick throw found the feet of the youngster, and he jinxed his way into the area before curling home a delightful effort. 2-0 Aylesbury

Matty Gooderick summed up Banbury's afternoon in front of goal to that point by volleying well off target, before Deane at the other end hit a better volley which went just wide after Gutzmore had chested a throw-in down to him.

Dean Powles went close just before the interval, firing over after Gutzmore had passed the ball inside to him.

Half-time: Aylesbury 2-0 Banbury

Making two half-time changes, it was a more determined Banbury who emerged for the second half, but a combination of poor finishing and strong Aylesbury defending kept them from scoring.

Ex-Duck Paul Lamb shaved the upright with a header having stolen in at the back post from a free-kick. Fuller then went close as Lamb turned provider, his cross headed straight into Kirk's waiting arms.

The warnings were there for Aylesbury, but they continued to seek out further goals of their own. Goss forced Foster to make a fine save from a great header from Gutzmore's right wing cross.

The match had opened up into an end to end contest, as Banbury desperately searched for a way back into the game. Gooderick had a long range effort which never caused Kirk any problems, before Deane this time went close with a header for Aylesbury, just over the bar.

Banbury came as near as ever to scoring an elusive goal when Wayne Blossom headed against the post, but it just wasn't going to be their afternoon.

Further chances came Aylesbury's way, notably to Sam Page who fired over after a free-kick had been half-cleared to him, but it was Banbury who ended the game in front of goal.

Fuller half-volleyed wide, and Kirk made a good save to deny a Lamb cross-shot. Then, right at the death, Gooderick sprung the offside trap, but with only Kirk to beat released a week shot which was gathered in by the Aylesbury stopper.

Neil Trebble's jubilation at the final whistle was apparent - Aylesbury's first win since November, and his first win in charge.