Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



Rejuvenated after their late comeback against Halesowen Town, the Ducks traveled to Tiverton Town, a side without a win in eleven league games.

Justin Gordon replaced the injured Tony Joyce at left-back in the only change to the team line-up from the previous Saturday.

First chance of the afternoon fell to Richard Pringle, who chested down a long ball but fired his effort well over, before Tivvy went close early on when Chris Bale headed a near-post free-kick just wide.

Nick Jackson attempted to conjure up a bit of magic when he went for goal from 25-yards from a throw-in on the left-flank, but his effort flew well wide of the post.

The match was a scrappy affair, regularly punctuated by the sound of Mr. Greenwood's whistle, and clear cut chances were few and far between.

Poor defending on the part of Aylesbury presented Tiverton's next opportunity. A corner kick was allowed to drift across the area, and as it fell to Kwami Ampadu on the edge of the box he could only shoot over with his left-foot.

Six minutes later the home side threatened again when Bale won the ball in midfield, ran forward, but selfishly went for goal himself and watched his effort sail off target to the right.

Then on the half-hour mark Tiverton scored the opening goal, somewhat cruel on the Ducks for their efforts to that point. Reece Kirk unfortunately collided with Rob Gould having gone to claim the ball, and as it dropped to Richard Pears the Tivvy striker swung for goal and his speculative effort dipped just under the crossbar. 1-0 Tiverton

Aylesbury have shown great spirit in their last few games, and they weren't going to be knocked off course by the goal. They had a chance to level before the break when a corner kick descended into a mad goalmouth scramble, Leon Gutzmore got the final connection but goalkeeper Mark Ovendale got his body in the way to smother.

Half-time: Tiverton 1-0 Aylesbury

The second half continued in a stop-start fashion, with chances for both sides. Pringle did well to get in down the right, but his attempted cutback was blocked by goalkeeper Ovendale.

Tiverton did well to counter attack, and after breaking down the right the ball was played in perfectly for Pears, who somehow hit the crossbar from three yards out.

With the referee continuing to spot a number of fouls, his cautions list was ever increasing, with the latest addition Rob Gould for dissent.

Pringle again was at the centre of the action, using his strength to turn his marker and run at goal, he played the ball across goal but Leon Gutzmore could only connect with an outstretched boot and the ball flew over.

Rob Gould was then sent off, collecting a second booking for a foul on Chris Holloway in midfield. Manager Neil Trebble was also banished to the stands for aiming abuse at the referee during the incident.

Tivvy had another excellent chance from another counter-attack, a cross from the left was headed against the post by Pears and rebounded into the grateful arms of Kirk.

Two minutes later and United, against all adversity, had their equaliser. Substitute winger Bilal Hassan went on a run down the right, and after an interchange with Gutzmore found the ball at his feet inside the area, and finished neatly past Ovendale. 1-1

Both sides still had chances in the closing stages, nervy times for the Ducks. Tiverton's James Mudge turned sharply with the ball, but he could only shoot wide, before Bale fired an effort well off target when well placed.

Aston Goss, on as a late substitute, had a chance to wrap up the game for Aylesbury when he went on a dribble from inside his own half, sprinting clear of the defence. He went round the outstretched Ovendale, but with the angle against him couldn't find Hassan with his cutback and the ball was cleared away for the last time.

Full-time was subsequently blown, and Aylesbury once again will take the plaudits for the character they were shown to comeback from the situation they found themselves in. Relegation is by no means a certainty just yet...