Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
The Evo-Stik League South
Match Report



Aylesbury made their first ever league visit to Brackley Town and, against one of the division's fancied teams, were unlucky to come away with a 2-1 defeat.

The Ducks were certainly slow out of the blocks though, and were a goal down in the eleventh minute. A recurring theme of the evening, a long-range shot from Brackley which wasn't closed down quickly enough, lead to Tom Vincent spilling the ball, and ex-Duck Leon Gutzmore followed in the finish off. 1-0 Brackley

Lively winger Tom Winters had a shot held six minutes later, before United started to play. They created their first opening after 22 minutes when Roni Joe laid the ball off for Enzo Silvestri, but the midfielder's shot was well wide.

Joe was at the heart of most of Aylesbury's attacking play, and his jinking run into the box called Richard Knight into action for the first time, albeit a routine claim as the ball came in low. Moments later Swonnell hit a speculative effort wide.

Just as it seemed Aylesbury were growing in stature, Brackley scored a well worked second goal. An opportunist quickly taken punt down-field from goalkeeper Knight resulted in the ball being worked out left to Winters, and he unleashed a devastating left-footed strike. 2-0 Brackley

To go in at half-time two goals behind would have been harsh on the visitors, and they got the goal back their play deserved just three minutes later. Nando Perna's fine delivery from a left-wing freekick was headed into his own net by the hapless Martin Brown. 2-1 Brackley

Aylesbury ended the half in the ascendancy, and they had a penalty appeal for handball turned down on the half-hour mark, before Matt Butler shot wildly over in the closing stages of the first period.

Half-time: Brackley 2-1 Aylesbury

In the second half it was United who had the better of the game, keeping the ball well and playing attractive football, yet they lacked a killer instinct in front of goal, as too often they seemed to be looking for the 'perfect goal' instead of having a shot.

To the contrary, Brackley were never afraid to go for the target, and increased their shot count from the off. A corner kick was headed over early in the half, before Anthony Fontenelle had another long-range effort well claimed by Vincent.

Vincent looked less sure five minutes later, when he was caught well off his line, but to his relief the lobbed effort from 40-yards only found the side netting.

Indeed, for all their possession the Ducks had little to show by means of attempts on goal. Perna should have done better, after dribbling deep into the area, but seemed unable or unwilling to shoot.

Jon Franklin made three changes in an attempt to shake things up, as Aston Goss made his first appearance of the season, Luke Melisi made his club debut, and Craig Henney also came onto the field.

It was the latter who had a good chance of his own making, when he ran through but snatched at his shot and the ball flew high and wide.

Deep in stoppage time there was further drama, Swonnell playing a delicate through ball into the path of Henney, but his shot across goal was cleared off the line by Brown, who atoned for his earlier own goal in perfect fashion.

With that referee Mr Power blew for full time, and although a defeat, the performance was encouraging for Aylesbury ahead of their trip to Willenhall Town.