Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



A Bank Holiday derby saw the Ducks make it seven points from four games at Bell Close as an unusual situation saw United playing host to their own hosts, current landlords Leighton Town.

Manager Jon Franklin made two changes to his starting line-up, giving Liam Smyth and Andy Shed their first competitive starts for the club at the expense of Nando Perna and Roni Joe. 'Visitors' Leighton featured no less than four men in their starting eleven who have played for Aylesbury in recent years, namely Bilal Hassan, Leon Gordon, Scott McCafferty and Peter Clifford.

Aylesbury began strongly, with the hard-working Matt Butler playing in Shed just a minute into the match; unfortunately the striker was unable to keep his shot down. From then on the first half degenerated as a spectacle into somewhat of a midfield battle, with the only other notable effort in the first 40 minutes coming via a spectacular 20-yard volley from Enzo Silvestri which flew over the cross bar.

Despite the lack of goalscoring opportunities Aylesbury were largely on top and managed a period of pressure just before the break during which Sam Swonnell and Shed both fired over the bar.

The Ducks continued where they had left off immediately after the break as the strike partnership of Shed and Richard Pringle, reunited after shining for much of pre-season, began to click. Shed claimed his first league goal for Aylesbury on 47 minutes, as he stroked the ball into the far corner of the net following Pringle's cross from the right.

There was almost a repeat of the Cinderford game as Leighton looked for an instant reply, forcing Ducks keeper Tom Vincent into a superb double save. This was as good as it would get for the team in red and white however as Vincent would not have another save to make for the remainder of the afternoon.

Moments later Sam Swonnell almost doubled the Ducks' lead as his low shot was smothered smartly by Leighton keeper Lee Clark. Ironically this was also Clark's only save of the match. Chances were once again rather at a premium after this frantic start to the second half, although the front two again combined well on 75 minutes, as the impressive Pringle outmanoeuvred the Leighton left back before crossing to Shed who was just unable to connect properly with only Clark to beat.

The second goal for Aylesbury finally came with six minutes remaining, as Swonnell's corner was knocked down by Pringle at the far post into the path of the on-loan Sam Page who slid home his first goal in green and white to make the points safe.

All in all a very encouraging effort from the Ducks to cap an excellent bank holiday weekend for Jon Franklin's new look side.

Leon O'Sullivan