Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



The Ducks were held to a frustrating goalless draw at Creasey Park in a game that, on the number of chances created, Aylesbury should have won comfortably.

Youngster Danny Jones kept his place in midfield despite the return of fit-again Kevin Mealor, but in the physical battle that ensued it quickly became apparent that the bulkier frame of Mealor was required and he duly arrived ten minutes into the second half.

The first effort at goal came after 90 seconds when Andy Shed turned but couldn't control his left foot volley, which flew high and wide.

The game became something of a stop-start affair for the next fifteen minutes, both sided guilty of a number of petty fouls in a midfield deadlock.

An abysmal playing surface made passing football difficult, so the standard 'hoof and run' style quickly took hold. But when United did get the ball down they were threatening.

Richard Pringle came mighty close to opening his side's account in the sixteenth minute. Shed played the ball out wide to Julian Old, and his inch perfect delivery found the striker towering high, his looping header rebounding cruelly off the bar.

Ten minutes on and Old's throw was flicked on by Pringle into the path of Ben Stevens, who beat the first defender but saw his low shot blocked.

Pringle and Stevens combined again, this time the latter searching out Liam Smyth six-yards out, but his low effort hit a divet in the sandy goalmouth and scuffed narrowly wide, but he really should have scored.

Next to have a go was Stevens, after Shed connected poorly with a Smyth free-kick the ball dropped to the midfielder, who fired way over the goal.

Bizarrely for a team knocking on the playoff door, Dunstable offered virtually nothing by way of an attacking threat, just as they had at Bell Close back in January. The home side's only contributions to the first half were two wasted free kick deliveries from dangerous areas.

Manager Darren Feighery was also sent from the dugout for a verbal tirade on referee Mr. Kendal, every word of which could clearly be heard from the other side of the pitch to compound a disappointing Dunstable opening 45 minutes.

Aylesbury continued to press for a goal before the break. Another great cross from Stevens picked out Smyth who headed over when unmarked. Pringle then rounded off the first half with a volley which sailed over.

Half-time: Dunstable 0-0 Aylesbury

The second half continued in much the same way, the away side carving out chance after chance. As soon as a minute into the second period Danny Jones' ball in was cleverly left by Pringle for Stevens at the far post, but as the ball took an age to come down he could only hit it into the ground and Taylor easily held.

Two minutes later Shed alertly nipped in to a short free kick ahead of Taylor, who managed to claw the ball away as far as Jones. He turned an effort back in but it lacked power and was hacked away.

Stevens did well again down the right flank, crossing to the near post this time where Shed connected with a shot which again was easily held by Taylor.

On the hour mark Dunstable finally produced an effort on goal with the proverbial 'shot out of nothing'. As the ball broke loose number 8 lashed an effort goalwards which Tom Vincent had to get down and tip wide to his right.

This briefly spurred the home side on, and minutes later they had the ball in the net following their only attacking move of the game. But to Aylesbury's relief the goal was ruled out for offside against the 'scorer'.

Normal service was soon resumed, and Smyth drove an effort wide of the post as the Ducks continued their assault on the Blues' goal. Carl Kavanagh then had a penalty appeal turned down, as he was tackled fairly just inside the area according to the referee.

As Mealor and Leon Gutzmore added extra bodies to the attack, United kept looking for a way through. After a mad scramble from a free kick, Pringle volleyed over, then Nick Leach did the same from a corner as the ball just would not go in.

In the final five minutes another Leach effort, this time a header, went over from a good Smyth free kick delivery. It just wasn't to be for Aylesbury.

And so, boosted by a large travelling contingent, the biggest Creasey Park crowd of the season of 201 left the ground without seeing a goal. A result which will please Feighery more than Franklin on reflection of the 90 minutes.