Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com

Saturday 15th September 2007

The FA Cup: 1st Qualifying Round

Spencer Stadium, Banbury Attendance: 419

Referee: Mr G. Burton
Notice: Undefined variable: assistantoutput in /var/www/vhosts/aylesburyunitedfc.co.uk/httpdocs/match.php on line 741

Banbury United

1 4

Aylesbury United

  Half-time: (0-0)  
    Matt DIXONPlayer Image1
    Lewis TRAVERSPlayer Image2
    Tommy KINCHPlayer Image3
    12 Chris JACKSONPlayer Image4
    Ben MILNERPlayer Image5
    Ady FULLERPlayer Image6
    Mike FEELYPlayer Image7
    Wayne BLOSSOMPlayer Image8
    Troy BRYANPlayer Image9
    16 67m Andrew STIDDERPlayer Image10
    15 58m Sammy IBRAHIMPlayer Image11
    4 Stuart BRIDGESPlayer Image12
    Mark ESSEXPlayer Image14
    11 58m Darren BECKETTPlayer Image15
    10 67m Andy BAIRDPlayer Image16
    Andy WHEELERPlayer Image17
      Kieran SULLIVANManager ImageM
    1Player ImageTom VINCENT
    2Player ImageNathan LIBURD
    3Player ImageJustin GORDON12 73m 
    4Player ImageNick LEACH
    5Player ImageCarl KAVANAGH
    6Player ImageRoss TAYLOR
    7Player ImageJamie O'GRADY14 66m 
    8Player ImageSam SWONNEL
    9Player ImageRoni JOE
    10Player ImageNathan GRAHAM
    11Player ImageKevin MEALOR
    12Player ImageAston GOSS3 73m 
    14Player ImageSteve MILES7 66m 
    15Player ImageLiam SCHMIDT
    16Player ImageDanny RIPLEY
    17Player ImageJack SILLITOE
    MManager ImageTony THOMPSON
    Match Report


    Aylesbury marched into the FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round mainly due to an excellent second half showing that saw the Ducks stick four past bewildered Banbury United.

    Add that to the fact that the Greens travelled to Spencer Stadium without five would-be first choice players and the result looks even more impressive.

    Despite a bright start by the away side they couldn't make any chances in the early stages, and it was Banbury who went close on 14 minutes when Troy Bryan turned the ball just wide from a near post corner.

    Aylesbury's first chance came seven minutes later, a long ball deceiving the Banbury defence and Jamie O'Grady's improvised shot dropped just wide after Nathan Graham had flicked the ball on.

    O'Grady missed a gilt-edged chance soon afterwards when the ball was cleverly laid into his path by the returning Roni Joe, but with the whole goal to aim at he directed his shot over the bar.

    The hosts had their best first half chance on 38 minutes when Bryan drove a low shot across the face of goal after the ball had been headed to him. Then at the other end Nathan Liburd tried his luck on goal but shot wide to round off a fairly quiet opening 45 minutes from both sides.

    Half-time: Banbury 0-0 Aylesbury

    Tom Vincent was called into his first save of the game minutes after the restart when he had to beat away Bryan's driven effort after the forward had skipped past two challenges.

    Aylesbury went close themselves four minutes later when Joe was played through to end a good passing move and he eventually played the ball to Swonnel, who was tackled at the last moment.

    The Ducks made the breakthrough on the hour mark with a goal from another good footballing move. Nathan Graham raced onto a through ball and finished confidently past Dixon. 1-0 Aylesbury

    Banbury responded with a couple of half chances, a free-kick which blazed high over the bar and a speculative effort from Mike Feely which ended up well wide of the target.

    But it was the visitors who added a second, Roni Joe finding himself in behind the defence again and he kept his composure to fire home the goal his performance deserved. 2-0 Aylesbury

    Unfortunately the Ducks lost concentration immediately following the goal, and predatory striker Andy Baird popped up to score (as he usually does against Aylesbury) to bring his side back into the game. 2-1 Aylesbury

    On another day Aylesbury would have crumbled, but the side showed tremendous character in resisting the renewed pressure from Banbury - the defence doing a superb job during the last third of the game.

    Instead, the visitors took advantage of the home side pushing forwards by exploiting their hosts gaps in defence and Swonnel went close with a curling effort ten minutes before the break.

    To ease any remaining tensions the Ducks went and scored a third inside the last ten minutes of the game. The fresh legs of Aston Goss were a constant threat and he was played in by Joe before skipping around keeper Dixon and drilling a ball across goal which was acrobatically converted by Graham. 3-1 Aylesbury

    Still the Ducks weren't done and tired looking Banbury were left to suffer the embarrassment of conceding a fourth. Goss superbly beat three players to get to the byline and hang up a cross for Graham to head home and complete his hat-trick, and a fine win for Aylesbury. 4-1 Aylesbury