Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



Aylesbury racked up another crucial three points courtesy of James Faulkner's goal midway through the first half.

Bishops Cleeve are a team hovering around the playoff positions, which made it an excellent result for the Ducks as they consolidated their place towards the top of the table.

There was still no room for the returning Kevin Mealor in the starting eleven, but Sam Swonnel was back from suspension and slotted into the centre of a midfield re-jig that saw Ben Gallant move to the bench.

From the start the home side showed far more urgency than they had all game in Saturday's win over Stourport Swifts, and the Bishops Cleeve were unable to muster an effort on goal before the break.

The first chance came on fourteen minutes when Peter Weirich picked out Faulkner with a fine ball into the area, the in-form striker turning but could only produce a weak shot which Jon Skeen easily held.

A minute later a Ben Stevens shot zipped just past the post as Aylesbury looked to make their early dominance pay.

Faulkner went close again with a shot that went wide of the near post after his strike partner Nathan Graham had fed him.

The deserved opener finally came on twenty-three minutes in bizarre circumstances. Having gone down injured Faulkner picked himself up just in time to collect Skeen's awful mis-hit clearance and slot past the stranded keeper. 1-0 Aylesbury

That turned out to be Faulkner's last kick of the game as he went off with a pulled hamstring and was replaced by Andy Shed.

Aylesbury's change of seemed to affect their rhythm though, and the Ducks lost their way slightly for the remainder of the half.

On the verge of the interval the Villagers had a penalty shout turned down by Mr Phipps for an alleged handball by Nick Leach as United's lead was preserved.

Half-time: Aylesbury 1-0 Bishops Cleeve

The second half started with a great chance for the Ducks to double their lead. Shed suddenly found himself clean through but with only Skeen to beat he scuffed his shot and the ball trickled wide.

Bishops Cleeve had their first effort of the game early in the second half, Jamie Hammonds shooting well wide from a tight angle.

The game was drifting by at a slow pace before a round of substitutions was followed by Nathan Graham looked odds-on to score after Vincent's long clearance came all the way through to him. But Joe Egleton came to his side's rescue when he recovered to make a superb last ditch tackle just as Graham was set to pull the trigger.

A one-goal lead was never likely to be a secure cushion and United were living dangerously without a second goal. No more so than when substitute Kevin Slack showed incredible pace and strength to hold off Castello before thumping a shot against the upright.

Mealor entered the fray for the closing ten minutes and he was quickly involved when he teed up Ross Taylor in the area, but the midfielder could only drag his volley wide from close range.

Time still remained for Cleeve to go close once more, Slack hitting a free kick through Aylesbury's wall which could have gone anywhere, Vincent down smartly to tip away.

It was to be Aylesbury's night though as they clung on for the precious points and will now look to make it three out of three in December with the visit of lowly Rothwell Town.