Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
The Evo-Stik League South
Match Report



The Ducks got back on track with the straightforward win over Rothwell that they should have had against Woodford the previous Saturday.

There was a return to the squad for James Faulkner after his suspension, but he had to be content with a place on the bench, but Nathan Liburd returned to the starting line-up.

In similar fashion to the Woodford game Aylesbury created all the chances, particularly in the opening stages of the game, but struggled to convert chances into goals.

Liburd had a storming start to the game, and he was fed by Aslett before squaring the ball from the byline for Craig Henney whose shot on the turn was well blocked in the area.

Rothwell's first chance came from the boot of Steven Purton, who ran through and hit a venomous effort that was fortunately straight at Tom Vincent.

The chances kept coming; Henney ran through but could only hit a weak effort wide of the post, and then Nathan Graham had a shot deflected just past Baker's right post.

Andy Shed missed an absolute sitter on twenty minutes on the end of more good work from Henney, who delivered a deep cross from which went over the keeper's head and left Shed with an open goal. His shot must have struck the keeper with a corner kick the outcome.

More superb play from Liburd, this time popping up on the right, resulted in him delivering a fine cross which Shed headed wide, another good chance going begging.

The breakthrough finally came on 27 minutes, Shed atoning for his earlier misses. A corner was headed goalwards by Kavanagh, before dropping to Shed who made no mistake from six-yards. 1-0 Aylesbury

It seemed only a matter of time before the score was doubled, but from the seventh corner of the night the ball just wouldn't go in ? headed towards goal, then following a spell of penalty box pinball Graham couldn't get the ball past the massed Rothwell ranks between him and the net.

Stevens was the next man to go close, finding himself all alone after a ball over the top beat the Bones' offside trap. He ran on and went for the near post from a tight angle, Baker matching the shot and beating the ball away.

The second eventually came five minutes from the break. A fantastic ball by Swonnell found Shed in space and he cut inside of his marker and placed a shot past Baker. 2-0 Aylesbury

That was game over as far as the result went, but former Kettering man Michael Boyle-Chong smashed a shot well wide for Rothwell, then Shed missed the chance of a first half hat-trick by skewing wide before the half-time whistle went.

Half-time: Aylesbury 2-0 Rothwell

The second half was a much more drab affair. In freezing conditions and with the win virtually secure, the match petered out.

Graham tried to get himself on the scoresheet when he worked his way onto Chris Aslett's long throw, but his shot went all the way across the face of the goal.

Rothwell then had their best effort of the match through Michael Tolton, who received the ball and cracked a great effort which fizzed just past the post.

Five minutes later and it was Swonnell who went close this time with a lobbed effort, after Liburd had challenged the outrushing Baker for the ball and played him in, but the ball just missed the empty net.

Faulkner entered the fray on the hour mark, but it was a low key return for the hitman in a game which was going nowhere, and he struggled to make an impact.

His best effort was a typical long distance shot, and followed some fantastic skill from Henney to tee him up, the shot skipping off the hard surface and just wide of the goal.

In the last few minutes Jon Stead went close for Rothwell when he got in down the left and hit a shot all the way across goal, with Vincent beaten.

Shed had another chance for his hat-trick in the last seconds, but he volleyed over the bar when well placed, and 2-0 was the final scoreline.