Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



Aylesbury made the long journey to AFC Sudbury, and returned with a well earned point to get their tally off the mark. Both teams shared periods of control in the game, so a draw was probably a fair reflection of proceedings.

The Ducks' line-up was the same as took to the field against Leamington, and they set about business quickly ? dominating the opening fifteen minutes.

With just three on the clock Nathan Graham was played in by Kevin Mealor and his snapshot was blocked by a defender, United appealing to Mr Fisher for a penalty for handball which fell on deaf ears.

Mealor was showing good industry down the left, this time his cross fell eventually to Swonnell who had his shot blocked from distance.

Aylesbury had been unable to make their possession count though, and Sudbury's first chance came about on 16 minutes when a training ground free-kick routine found its way to Gareth Heath who flashed a cross-shot over the bar.

Another dangerous cross from Mealor nearly brought an opener when his low ball was met by the arriving Graham, but he couldn't control the shot and it went well over.

Having weathered some considerable pressure, Sudbury took the lead in controversial circumstances. A whipped free-kick from the left was twice blocked out by Tom Vincent. The ball then dropped to Haynes-Brown who smashed the ball goalwards and James Rowe headed in from three-yards out, but in an offside position. Cue protests from the entire Aylesbury team, but the goal stood. 1-0 Sudbury

After a lengthy stoppage for a facial injury to home keeper Liam Jones, the first half was rounded off by a cracking volleyed effort by Mealor which zipped just wide of the post.

Half-time: AFC Sudbury 1-0 Aylesbury

United pushed forwards early in the second half, and nearly succumbed to a second goal on the break, a quick move ending with Rowe driving a shot in which was beaten away by Vincent.

Aylesbury had introduced Craig Henney for Hawkins at half-time, and he quickly made a difference with his pacey movement up front key.

Ross Taylor came agonisingly close to a goal when he guided Mealor's whipped free-kick just over the bar, but the travelling fans didn't have to wait long.

Henney raced clear of the home defence before firing the ball in low across the area where Graham slid in to fire high into the net. 1-1

And just two minutes later the game had been turned on its head. Graham's cross in from the left was inadvertently flicked on by a defender into the path of Stuart Maynard who headed in over the stranded Jones for his second goal in two games. 2-1 Aylesbury

Seconds later Henney had a chance to wrap up the match when he broke free once again, but his dipping half-volley flew just over the crossbar.

There was another twist to come though, as momentum swung back the way of the home side midway through the second period. An attacker was needlessly pushed inside the area, despite going away from goal, and Rowe just about managed to convert the spot-kick, Vincent so close to keeping it out. 2-2

Both sides went for the win in the closing stages, and Taylor went close from United's only corner of the match, which was headed just wide.

In the final ten minutes Henney dribbled forward and shot for goal, but a defender's deflection made it easy for Jones to field. Then five minutes later Taylor came forward and clipped in a delicate ball which Henney met but headed straight into Jones' arms.

At the other end Heath cracked a shot wide, but that was about as good as it got for Sudbury, with the Ducks seeing the better of the end of the game, and had it not been for conceding a needless penalty, could have taken all three points back home with them.