Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com

Saturday 23rd August 2008

British Gas Football League Division One Midlands

The Oval, Bedworth Attendance: 120

Referee: Mr R. Patterson

Bedworth United

1 1

Aylesbury United

  Half-time: (1-1)  
1Player ImageTom VINCENT
2Player ImageStuart CATTELL12 58m 
3Player ImageRoss TAYLOR
4Player ImageNick LEACH
5Player ImageSam SWONNEL
6Player ImageStuart MAYNARD
7Player ImageBen STEVENS
8Player ImageMatt BUTLER14 58m 
9Player ImageNathan GRAHAM
10Player ImageGlen HAWKINS15 69m 
11Player ImageKevin MEALOR
12Player ImageCarl KAVANAGH2 58m 
14Player ImageLiam SMYTH8 58m 
15Player ImageCraig HENNEY10 69m 
16Player ImageAnthony KEW
17Player ImageJack SILLITOE
MManager ImageTony THOMPSON
Match Report



Aylesbury travelled to Bedworth United looking for their first win of the season, but came away with a draw against the Greenbacks.

With ex-Duck Paul Lamb pulling the strings in midfield, and a select handful of other new signings, Bedworth are a much improved side, and the Ducks couldn't cope with their good football as they dominated the opening third of the match.

Even so, it was Aylesbury who nearly took the lead after 5 minutes, counter-attacking after a free-kick from Paul Spacey had deflected off the wall and been swept forward. The ball was again passed forward and had to be headed clear by keeper Kemp, Matt Butler snapping up the ball and trying to find the empty net, but dragging his shot wide.

After just eight minutes the home side took the lead. Something of a recurring theme as a corner kick wasn't properly dealt with, and Jermaine Gordon was on hand to turn the loose ball into the net. 1-0 Bedworth

A minute later it could have been game over when the Greenbacks had the ball in the net again. A training ground low free-kick routine found an unmarked attacker who scored, but the goal was ruled offside as his shot was unnecessarily met by another player on the goal-line.

That proved the wake-up call Aylesbury needed, and they eventually began to come back into the game as the minutes wore on.

Nathan Graham was proving a handful up front, and it was he who won and converted an equaliser from the spot midway through the half. Having turned lumbering defender Danny Pitham, he was brought down by him inside the area, Mr Patterson having no hesitation in awarding the penalty which was easily scored. 1-1

Kemp had to be alert to keep Aylesbury out again two minutes later when, after a short corner exchange with Mealor, Maynard's dipping cross had to be tipped over the bar.

The game was now an even affair as both sides had chances, Pitham, perhaps trying to atone for his earlier indiscretion, came forward but could only blaze a shot over the bar.

Then at the other end Maynard nipped in ahead of Kemp to lob the keeper, but a defender was on hand to clear the danger.

Moments later Hawkins cleverly laid the ball off into the path of Graham, and he went for a spectacular shot from range which he caught all wrong.

Bedworth had the best chance to retake the lead five minutes from the break when Fitz found himself clean through, rounded Vincent, but could only fire into the outside of the post.

Half-time: Bedworth 1-1 Aylesbury

The first half had been littered with persistent fouls from both sides, not helped by a whistle-happy referee, and after the break things were even worse ? regularly threatening to spill out of control, and it was near impossible for either side to find their rhythm.

Aylesbury made a couple of early changes ? Carl Kavanagh came on and did a good job against the physical presence of Jermaine Gordon, and Liam Smyth replaced the tiring Butler in midfield.

Chances were sporadic after the break, although the better ones seemed to fall to the Ducks. Kemp again saved well from Maynard, after Aylesbury's best move of the match saw Mealor play a one-two with Swonnell before delivering a wicked cross that Maynard met but was beaten over by the keeper.

The resulting corner kick was countered by Bedworth with a swift move to the other end of the pitch, ending with a shot across goal that Vincent did well to tip round the post.

Graham cracked a shot over after Smyth had laid the ball into his path, then in the last five minutes a deep cross from Graham was headed just wide by the arriving Stevens.

Carl Kavanagh was the last man to have a chance, as he turned Smyth's dinked cross wide at the far post. Although both sides had tried, neither had the killer instinct in front of goal to claim all three points, and both had to settle for a draw ? and both still go in search of a first win of the season.