Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com

Monday 8th December 2008

British Gas Football League Division One Midlands

The Meadow, Chesham Attendance: 116

Referee: Mr R. James
Notice: Undefined variable: assistantoutput in /var/www/vhosts/aylesburyunitedfc.co.uk/httpdocs/match.php on line 741

Aylesbury United

0 3


  Half-time: (0-1)  
Tom VINCENTPlayer Image1
James SAULSBURYPlayer Image2
Daniel MEADPlayer Image3
Darren GOURLAYPlayer Image4
Ross TAYLORPlayer Image5
Matt BUTLERPlayer Image6
12 66m Mark BOYCEPlayer Image7
Ben STEVENSPlayer Image8
15 85m Chris MARSHPlayer Image9
14 80m Glen HAWKINSPlayer Image10
Kevin MEALORPlayer Image11
7 66m Nathan GRAHAMPlayer Image12
10 80m Roni JOEPlayer Image14
9 85m Mark JONESPlayer Image15
Steve MILESPlayer Image16
  Mark EATONManager ImageM
1Player ImageIan MACTAGGART17 15m 
2Player ImageCraig ROBERTS
3Player ImageJohnny GRAY
4Player ImageGavin LANE
5Player ImageMark AVERY
6Player ImageChris ELSEGOOD
7Player ImageChris ROWLEY15 85m 
8Player ImageJohnny ISAAC
9Player ImageIshmael GYADONG12 80m 
10Player ImageJon CASE
11Player ImageAaron COUCH
12Player ImageDaniel STONE9 80m 
14Player ImageAdrian CACERES
15Player ImageSam WADIEH7 85m 
16Player ImageJermaine ROCHE
17Player ImageSimon HERBERT1 15m 
Match Report



As Aylesbury crashed to their biggest home defeat of the season, and only their second in the league, the euphoria surrounding three straight wins was gone out the window as quickly as it had arrived.

In a disjointed and frustrating night, the Ducks were made to look ordinary by their Buckinghamshire neighbours. Marlow had even played for three quarters of the game with a defender in goal, yet he was never seriously tested.

Things had looked promising as Aylesbury made the better of the opening exchanges, Mark Boyce, reverting to his midfield role, had a shot blocked after five minutes.

Kevin Mealor then had a shot cleared off the line in one of United's only clear cut chances, after he had been played through by Marsh and beaten MacTaggart.

In rushing from his line MacTaggart fell awkwardly and after a fair stoppage had to be stretchered from the pitch, replaced by Simon Herbert with Gavin Lane taking over between the sticks.

As all coaches would want their charges to do, United attempted to put the makeshift keeper under some quick pressure. Ben Stevens loaded a corner kick right under his crossbar which caused problems but nothing more.

Marlow were well organised at the back throughout the match, with captain Chris Elsegood outstanding together with Gavin Lane in defence and every time the ball went forward it seemed that Elsegood was in place to deal with the danger.

It was he who had the visitors' first effort on the twenty minute mark, his shot well blocked after a free-kick dropped his way.

A minute later the lively Ishmael Gyadong screwed a shot wide after a Rory Delap imitation long-throw from Craig Roberts wasn't properly dealt with and fell into his path.

United were being frustrated in their attempts to get forward and were restricted to long shots, Boyce blazing well over when trying to catch Lane off his line, then Mead's effort from 25-yards was well handled by the replacement keeper.

Marsh had an effort from slightly closer range, but again Lane was up to the challenge, managing the get enough behind the ball to keep it out, even though the shot was straight at him.

The Blues were gradually getting on top as the half wore on, and Tom Vincent had to make a good save to deny Chris Rowley's rising drive, palming the ball away at his near post.

Just when it looked like Aylesbury would make it to the break having contained their opponents, disaster struck. Gyadong ran through against Darren Gourlay, and although the young defender did well in keeping him at bay, the ball broke kindly for Aaron Couch who rounded Vincent quickly crossed for Jon Case who fired into an empty net. 1-0 Marlow

Half-time: Aylesbury 0-1 Marlow

Credit to Marlow, whereas many teams would have been content to sit back on their lead, they kept to their system of three up front and continued to look dangerous.

Aylesbury on the other hand looked out of ideas to find a way through, Marsh had a rising shot creep over the bar, but the going was tough.

United's best move of the game came on the hour mark, a rare spell of quick passing from the Ducks eventually ended with Ben Stevens slid through, but his shot went wide across the face of the goal.

Instead of generating some momentum, the chance only proved to be something of a one off as the lacklustre nature of the game soon returned.

Only half chances were on offer as the mist rolled into the Meadow on a truly miserable night. A free kick from Rowley was fired in straight at Vincent, then two minutes later Hawkins also shot straight at the keeper.

The Ducks threw on changes, Nathan Graham for Boyce and Roni Joe for Hawkins, and although the former looked busy, he couldn't affect the game in the way United needed. In fact he perhaps wasted Aylesbury's best chance by refusing to strike with his left foot when racing onto a ball into the area, instead trying to cut back but the chance was gone.

The closest Aylesbury did come to snatching an underserved equaliser was from a mishit cross by Kevin Mealor that had to be tipped over by Lane. Joe had United's last say in the game, heading over after getting on the end of Stevens' long free kick.

Marlow owned the final ten minutes of the game, and they should have increased the margin further when Johnny Gray sprayed a fine pass into the path of Aaron Couch. His shot was well saved by the outrushing Vincent, but the ball rebounded kindly for Case who somehow fired over with the goal at his mercy.

A second goal was to be forthcoming for the visitors, and it was worth waiting for. A ball played in from the left picked out Aaron Couch, and he swivelled at pace before firing an unstoppable shot past Vincent. 2-0 Marlow

Two minutes later salt was applied to Aylesbury's wounds with a third Marlow goal. The visitors again broke down their left, Couch getting away from the defence, rounding Vincent and firing into the net. 3-0 Marlow

The third goal certainly didn't flatter Marlow in terms of how much better they were than the Ducks on the night, and it was bitterly disappointing for the Aylesbury fans who had come into the game expecting so much. Back to the drawing board for United's caretaker management team then, ahead of the visit of high flying Atherstone Town.