Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com

Tuesday 10th March 2009

British Gas Football League Division One Midlands

Oak Tree Road, Marlow Attendance: 139

Referee: Mr J. Busby
Notice: Undefined variable: assistantoutput in /var/www/vhosts/aylesburyunitedfc.co.uk/httpdocs/match.php on line 741


0 4

Aylesbury United

  Half-time: (0-3)  
Kieron DRAKEPlayer Image1
Jon CASEPlayer Image2
Johnny GRAYPlayer Image3
Simon HERBERTPlayer Image4
14 78m Gavin LANEPlayer Image5
Chris ELSEGOODPlayer Image6
Alex CAIRNSPlayer Image7
Johnny ISAACPlayer Image8
15 87m Alex STEWARTPlayer Image9
16 75m Jermaine ROCHEPlayer Image10
Aaron COUCHPlayer Image11
Chris ROWLEYPlayer Image12
5 78m Craig ROBERTSPlayer Image14
9 87m Ishmael GYADONGPlayer Image15
10 75m Daniel STONEPlayer Image16
Sam WADIEHPlayer Image17
  Kevin STONEManager ImageM
1Player ImageTom VINCENT
2Player ImageMark BOYCE
3Player ImageDaniel MEAD15 80m 
4Player ImageJames SAULSBURY
5Player ImageCarl KAVANAGH
6Player ImageMatt BUTLER
7Player ImageBen STEVENS14 73m 
8Player ImageSam SWONNEL
9Player ImageNathan GRAHAM12 75m 
10Player ImageGlen HAWKINS
11Player ImageChris MARSH
12Player ImageRoss TAYLOR9 75m 
14Player ImageMark JONES7 73m 
15Player ImageSteve MILES3 80m 
17Player ImageJack SILLITOE
MManager ImageMark EATON
Match Report



Aylesbury kept up their drive for the playoffs with a big win at Marlow to take their scoring exploits to seven in two games.

Whilst Marlow may well point to an element of good fortune about United's first, second and fourth goals, the victory was undeniably merited for wonderfully composed Aylesbury performance.

The Ducks made a very positive start to the match and went close twice within the first six minutes. Nathan Graham turned a near post Sam Swonnell corner wide, then Chris Marsh was released by Stevens before cutting inside his man and curling a shot just past the far post.

United's travelling supporters didn't have to wait long for the opener. Boyce and Stevens combined well down the right, before the latter's ball into the box was cleared only as far as Graham who controlled before cutting across the box and planting a precision finish into the bottom corner. 0-1

Following the early setback, Marlow looked to make some headway of their own and a cross in from the left by Aaron Couch was met by Alex Stewart ? who, standing at a good six inches taller than United's biggest defender, had every right to win the header ? but his hanging effort was easily caught by Tom Vincent.

The lanky forward was Marlow's main target point throughout the game, yet time and time again his flicks weren't anticipated by his team mates and Aylesbury were well stationed to mop up the second balls, much to the home bench's frustration.

The Blues' best chance of an equaliser came with still only 15 minutes gone, when Jermaine Roche was played through but took one touch too many when only faced with Vincent, allowing Mead to get across and make a fantastic saving challenge.

Johnny Gray hammered a shot well wide of the goal, whilst Aylesbury's number three Mead curled a free-kick past the post at the other end minutes later.

A second goal arrived on the half hour mark, and once again Marlow contributed to their own downfall. Drake flapped at Mead's inswinging corner, the ball falling back to the Aylesbury full back who hit a shot across goal which was heading wide, but Glen Hawkins was in the right place to bundle in his 17th of the season. 0-2

The home side wasted another good chance to get back into the game when some quick interplay on the edge of the box ended with Couch shooting straight at Vincent when well placed.

A good first half's work was completed on the stroke of half-time when Aylesbury scored a magical third goal. A quick break out saw the ball played forward to Marsh, and with the deftest touch of the heel he not only stopped the ball crossing the touchline, but flicked it on for him to dribble on and release Graham. Clearly a man back in form, Graham had no hesitation in bursting into the box and powering an unstoppable shot in past Drake from a tight angle. 0-3

Brilliant skill from Marsh, who was a joy to watch all night, and a brilliant finish from Graham in what proved to be the last kick of the half.

Half-time: Marlow 0-3 Aylesbury

With the game dead and buried Aylesbury made something of a sloppy start to the second period, and needed a goal line clearance from James Saulsbury to preserve their margin just three minutes in, Roche the man trying his luck.

Marsh continued to be in the thick of all the action, and he was perhaps lucky to escape a second yellow card for a poorly executed tackle on 50 minutes. His missed clearance moments later allowed Jon Case a shot at goal, his drive ricocheting off three players before being cleared away.

They were to be his only blots on an otherwise excellent performance, but he was unable to cap it with a goal after Hawkins rode a challenge before feeding Graham who in turn spread the ball to Marsh, but with time and space he could only shoot over the bar.

Marlow had a couple more weak efforts as the time went by, Roche tried a shot from range after Stewart played the ball to him, then Stewart himself tried a shot on the turn which the sting was taken off by a deflection, Vincent caused no problems by either.

The Ducks were still looking the most likely side to score, and only a fine flying save from Drake kept out Hawkins' second of the game after he bundled his way into the box and struck a shot that took a huge deflection.

Blues' capitulation was completed with twenty minutes remaining when Gavin Lane completely lost a ball played back to him. Nathan Graham still had plenty of work to do in pressuring his fellow defender Simon Herbert before winning the ball, racing free, and showing the assurance to win the one-on-one with Drake. 0-4

After the fourth goal went in the action eased right up as both sides made a number of substitutions.

Aylesbury still had two further chances, Matt Butler shot straight at Drake and a dipping header from Marsh had to be tipped over by the busy Marlow custodian right at the death.

United could have had more, but such a big win at one of playoff rivals certainly isn't too be sniffed at, all with a performance that was very close to perfection.