Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



Aylesbury were denied a sixth straight win by a spirited Leverstock Green side who scored two goals in the last three minutes to salvage a draw at Bell Close.

For much of the game it had looked set to be a comfortable home win for the Ducks, but they were unable to see it out and the net result was two points lost.

With Jamie O?Grady away he was missing from the side for the first time of the season, which meant a recall for the returning Justin Gordon who slotted in at left back with Will Smith moving to the right. Lea Coulter lined up alongside John Mullholland in defence and had an inspired game before being forced off with an injury sustained late in the first half.

The Ducks started strongly and pressed for an early goal with Clay?s accurate delivery met by Leon Gordon but his header was blocked at close range, before Paul Edgeworth crashed the follow up well over the bar.

Four minutes later and Edgeworth was again off target, this time with a left footed effort which went past the upright after Leon Gordon had failed to make contact with an attempted overhead kick.

The first goal duly arrived on 13 minutes and a special one it was at that. Justin Gordon?s marvellous diagonal pass picked out Leon Gordon on the opposite side of the pitch, and his header into the box found Edgeworth at the near post who had no hesitation in hooking a half-volley past Tasker who was a mere spectator. 1-0 Aylesbury

Ten minutes later and the game was continuing in much the same vein, Townsend threatening this time but could only produce a weak header which Tasker was able to gather easily.

The visitors should have equalised when, out of the blue, a deep free-kick was met by Steve Hatch who stole in around the back but placed the ball wide to Aylesbury?s relief.

The visitors rarely offered much to worry United in the first half, with most of what action there was coming at the other end as Smith tried an ambitious long ranger and Edgeworth struck a free-kick straight at Tasker just before the break.

Aylesbury scored their second in the 41st minute with something of a freak goal this time. Smith?s cross from the right struck a defender before being saved by Tasker, the ball then ricocheting off Ben Baines and into the net. 2-0 Aylesbury

That piece of good fortune marked the end of a successful first half from Aylesbury?s point of view, and at that point the result looked in no doubt.

Half-time: Aylesbury 2-0 Leverstock Green

United once again started the half with a chance as Edgeworth threaded a lovely ball over the top for Leon Gordon but he couldn?t quite bring it down before Tasker got to it.

The Ducks then lost the struggling Coulter and his replacement Mark Toms it was who turned wide a moment of danger as the visitors played a telling cross into the box.

Leverstock then made all three of their substitutions in quick succession and it was the introduction of Jon Davies which had a particularly telling impact as his wicked set piece deliveries caused all kinds of problems for Aylesbury, and also eventually lead to both his sides goals.

Before that though, the Ducks had a great chance to extend their lead when Leon Gordon was gifted the ball in the box but his cross was slightly too high for Edgeworth to get a proper connection on with the goal gaping.

With two thirds of the game gone, and at times things being too easy for Aylesbury, an air of complacency began to creep into their game. To their credit, Leverstock kept plugging away and eventually it paid dividends as they slowly began to come back into proceedings.

A warning shot was fired in the 76th minute when Davies? vicious inswinging free-kick nearly caught Sillitoe out and he made his first save of the night to tip the ball over the bar.

This was followed up seconds later by a glorious chance for Steve Hutchins who could only blaze an easy opportunity well over as a low ball came across the box for him.

Suddenly only one team were looking likely to score, and although United still had a two-goal cushion it seemed anything other than a secure lead.

Another dangerous Davies free-kick had to be tipped over by Sillitoe, and from the resulting corner the ball was very nearly hooked into the net. Then, Mullholland had to be on hand to clear off the line as Sears met a free-kick to head the ball over the stranded keeper who found himself in no man?s land.

Aylesbury conceded yet another cheap free-kick and were this time punished for it, as Davies stepped up and struck an absolute pearler of a shot into the top corner. Like a rocket, it gave Sillitoe absolutely no chance. 1-2

Still three minutes of normal time remained, still plenty of time for a visiting equaliser and so it proved, as in the fourth minute of stoppage time the Ducks paid the ultimate price for the sloppy end to the match. Davies caught everybody out by playing a low ball into the box instead of shooting, which fell kindly for Bill Morgan who finished clinically and rescued a point for his team. 2-2

There was barely time for a restart as full-time was blown almost immediately. A definite case of two points dropped for Aylesbury, but hopefully a timely wakeup call in the process.