Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



Aylesbury returned to Langford?s Forde Park ground for the second time of the season and got back to winning ways despite a patchy performance.

The final result was the crucial factor though as the Ducks looked to bounce back from their embarrassing 5-1 thrashing at Hadley three days earlier, and did so with a 4-2 win over the league?s bottom side.

United made a good start to the match when a kind break allowed Lea Coulter to drive into the box before going for goal, but keeper Scott Walters stuck out a leg to save.

It wasn?t to be the first time Walters was to deny Aylesbury, but it was Langford who were to have most of the play in the first half without creating that much in front of goal.

They were particularly dangerous down the left and James Peters beat several men in the seventh minute before hanging up a cross which was headed goalwards by Seny Diedhou only for Sillitoe to save.

Aylesbury were being the more productive with their possession and chances came and went for Jones, who had a shot deflected wide, before Ben Baines couldn?t jump high enough to connect with Coulter?s cross after another mazy dribble from the Ducks? number 10.

Langford?s Dean Auburn had a low shot blocked in the box following a spell of penalty area pinball at a corner kick.

But as the half wore on United gradually improved and Paul Edgeworth twice went close with a shot deflected wide having cut in from the right flank, then a sliced half-volley which went over the bar.

Coulter should have opened the scoring but slotted a volley the wrong side of the post after some unlikely silky skills from Mulholland saw him beat his man and whip in a cross from the left wing.

Three minutes later and the building pressure told as United forced a penalty, with Townsend clattered to the ground when heading the ball in the box. He was forced off injured as a result of his awkward landing and replaced by Warren Garcia, with Edgeworth coolness personified as he calmly converted the spot-kick to give Aylesbury the lead. 1-0 Aylesbury

The lead was doubled in the third minute of stoppage time as a quickly worked throw-in released Coulter and his low cross was turned in at the near post by Luke Sharples for an own goal, although Baines was on hand to finish anyway. 2-0 Aylesbury

Half-time: Langford 0-2 Aylesbury

Aylesbury?s advantage was somewhat flattering and from the restart they looked to increase it further but struggled in the opening stages with only a Kean cross-shot to speak of.

That changed when Danny Jones was unfortunate not to score as he swivelled to meet Baines? clipped cross only to see his effort hit Coulter and ricochet wide when it appeared goalbound.

Garcia was having a positive influence since coming on and he surged forwards on a break just before the hour mark before delivering a teasing cross which Auburn narrowly missed putting through his own net.

The resulting corner eventually ended with a shot coming in from outside the area which Baines showed great alertness in producing a cheeky back-heeled flick to redirect the ball past the stranded Walters. 3-0 Aylesbury

Three to the good the game looked comfortably sewn up by United who had further opportunity to increase the lead but Baines sliced a volley well wide and Walters was off his line quickly to deny Edgeworth low down.

Instead, Langford hit back with a goal of their own to reduce the arrears. United were unable to get the ball away and Jean Philippe Yamfan twisted Mulholland inside out before firing the ball past Sillitoe. 1-3

Suddenly both defences looked susceptible as both sides looked like scoring every time they came forward. Coulter outpaced the defence and had a shot deflected wide, whilst Mulholland chested a corner kick goalwards which was well gathered in by Walters.

Sillitoe was called into action moments later as a swift Langford counter-attack ended with a cross from the right headed by Diedhou only for the Aylesbury stopper to palm the ball over for a corner kick, which was subsequently flicked narrowly across the face of goal.

In between there was a welcome return to action for Leon Gordon who entered the fray as a substitute for Paul Edgeworth after a long spell out injured.

On 72 minutes United were indebted to a fine saving tackle by Jack Wood preventing Langford closing the gap further. Justin Gordon was unable to clear his lines and with Yamfam just about the pull the trigger Wood slid in to take the ball.

Aylesbury managed to re-establish their three-goal cushion and settle any nerves which may have been building. Jones swivelled to spin home a shot almost identical to his earlier effort, though this time finding the net, from Wood?s low cross. 4-1 Aylesbury

The cushion lasted just another five minutes though when substitute Carl Albon beat the offside trap to run on and easily score past Sillitoe with virtually his first involvement. 2-4

Robbie Kean set up had two more late chances for Aylesbury to add to their lead when Baines saw a shot well saved by Walters, before McCormick wasted a great chance having been put through with only the keeper to beat but passed the ball wide of goal.

In the end though it was all about getting the three points, so mission accomplished, and United can hopefully take some confidence from the result into their upcoming FA Vase game at St. Ives.