Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



Aylesbury and league leaders Chalfont St. Peter shared the spoils at Bell Close in a pulsating 2-2 draw.

Those questioning the Ducks? commitment to the cause following the turgid second half against Stotfold were made to eat their words, as United produced a gutsy display which had the Champions elect twice chasing the game.

After a slow opening the match sprung into life as Aylesbury made the perfect start with a goal after eight minutes. Jack Wood?s fine pass released Coulter on the right wing and his low cross into the box was slid home at the far post by Ben Baines. 1-0 Aylesbury

Coulter went close himself a minute later when, in typical fashion, he cut inside and went for goal with a rising drive which on this occasion curled away from goal.

The Ducks? lead lasted just three minutes as Chalfont fought their way back into the game. With their first real spell of pressure United were unable to clear their lines and the ball dropped to Dwayne Williams whose shot was saved but the ball spun back off the turf and into the net, to the great misfortune of Sillitoe. 1-1

Despite conceding an equaliser, the momentum remained with Aylesbury who went close again through captain Edgeworth as he headed wide Garcia?s cross at the far post.

Five minutes later only a quality piece of defending from John Carroll prevented Coulter scoring, as he stretched to slide in and clear the ball just as the United man was ready to pull the trigger having raced onto Mulholland?s long clearance.

It was a stretch too far for Carroll though, who sustained an injury in making the challenge and left the field soon afterwards to be replaced by Kyle Jeffrey.

As expected, Saints continued to be a threat but were largely being kept at bay by Aylesbury, although it took a miraculous save from Sillitoe to maintain parity on the half hour mark, tipping the ball over as a header came in from another free-kick that wasn?t cleared.

It was now end to end stuff and Garcia brought the ball forward for United before firing in a deep cross which was retrieved by Justin Gordon on the far side, who quickly returned the ball into the box where Coulter just missed with a flicked header which dropped past the far post.

Sillitoe then made another good save to this time deny Adam Bernard after Toms gave the ball away, allowing Bernard to be played in only for the Ducks? stopper to save well down low.

Only a hair?s breadth preserved United?s lead just before the break as Bernard cut inside and hit the post full on. The ball rebounded to Lee Togwell who tried his luck with a dipping effort that dropped over the bar.

Half-time: Aylesbury United 1-1 Chalfont St. Peter

The second half continued in similar entertaining vein in what was proving a great contest between the two teams.

Half chances came and went as Daniel Hughes tried his luck with a half volley which flew wide to the left of goal, whilst Ben Baines was just beaten to Gordon?s ball over the top by alert keeper Mark Oliver.

Edgeworth had a good opportunity from another excellent Jones set piece, heading wide at the back post when he should have hit the target, and soon afterwards Mulholland was unlucky with a towering header from Jones? corner which flew just wide.

Aylesbury continued their spell of pressure as they forced a number of corners, to the home crowd?s growing excitement. Jones? deliveries were a constant threat and the final one caused havoc in the Chalfont box, Lea Coulter eventually firing in a low drive which was saved by Oliver.

Saints were dealt another injury blow as midfielder Dwayne Williams became the night?s second casualty and had to be replaced by Ben Stack on 63 minutes.

After Townsend had shot over from range, the Ducks scored the second goal their pressure deserved. Jack Wood was involved again ? his great ball forwards was raced onto by Coulter who outstripped Jeffrey before keeping his head in front of goal and firing past Oliver. 2-1 Aylesbury

Once again, Chalfont were only behind for a short period of time as they hauled themselves level. United didn?t react to a quick free-kick from which the ball was rolled into Strutton, who held it up well before rolling in Hughes to drive into the net. 2-2

After the goal, Saints stepped up their game as they went in search of a winner, but Aylesbury continued their superb workrate to keep their visitors at bay ? just.

They had Sillitoe to thank again for a great double save as he denied Strutton?s low shot first, then diving to tip wide a shot from Bernard who had collected the rebound.

A low long range effort by Togwell was well held by Sillitoe with men closing in looking for any scraps, before Stack shot wide from the edge of the box.

Inside the last five minutes Strutton ran clean through again but with no support had no choice but to go for goal from wide, drawing another save from Sillitoe who tipped wide.

Bernard was once again left wondering what he had to do to score, as this time he struck the crossbar with a flicked header from a left wing cross and Stack wasted another great chance when he met a corner kick uncontested by headed wide.

The mad final few seconds didn?t go entirely Chalfont?s way though, with a long throw causing a late scramble in the visitors? area before the ball was eventually cleared.

Right at the death another Saints chance went begging as the ball fell invitingly for Togwell inside the box, but as he turned and shot he could only fire wide to ensure the match finished level.

Despite all the chances Chalfont had in the latter stages, an exhausted looking United deserved their luck for their performance levels throughout the game and the effort they put in, and it was a point well earned.