The Evo-Stik League South
Match Report



Aylesbury held in the face of some strong Hillingdon pressure to claim three points from their top 5 clash and get their home form back on track after some disappointing results.

The initial Ducks’ side showed two changes from the narrow defeat at Leverstock Green, with Kyal McNulty brought in for his full debut, and Joey Acheampong replacing Lewis Hallford. But United were dealt a pre-match blow when Tom Barnett suffered a hamstring injury, meaning Lewis Hallford was restored to the starting line-up.

For the second week in a row Aylesbury got off to a flying start as they took a fifth minute lead. A fine move ended with Hallford delivery a peach of a cross which was met by the hanging Ben Baines, who directed his header past motionless keeper Ben Harris. 1-0 Aylesbury

By that point United had already had a couple of efforts as Field slammed a shot into the side netting in the first minute, and Paul Edgeworth seized on a poor clearance before bringing the ball forward and placing an early shot wide.

Baines, playing well in his makeshift midfield role, went close again in the 17th minute when the ball was played inside to him by Acheampong but fired wide from the edge of the box, the ball taking a slight nick for a corner kick.

A couple of Daniel Jones’ trademark inswinging deliveries came to nothing, the latter having to be swept behind by Sam Stanton, before Warren Garcia wasted a gilt-edged chance for two-nil. Field’s break and ball into the box looped up off a defender where it was headed on by Acheampong, but spooned over the bar from just 3-yards out by Garcia.

As it continued to be one-way traffic, another good move down the right this time saw Edgeworth find Field, but his shot was fired straight at Harris.

A rare attack from the visitors then gave them their first shot at goal of the afternoon when a corner kick was fired in, and scraped off the line by a combination of Sillitoe and defender, Stanton’s follow up effort was weak and easy for the Aylesbury stopper to deal with.

The half drew to a close with Field fizzing in a low shot which was turned over the bar by a defender, and from the resulting corner Garcia volleyed wide as the ball dropped to him.

Another great chance came and went when on the stroke of the interval when Edgeworth was released by a fantastic ball over the top, but Harris was quickly off his line and able to palm away the high shot.

Half-time: Aylesbury 1-0 Hillingdon

United began the second half in much the same manner, and Field was guilty of a shocking miss inside 90 seconds. Garcia’s incisive ball into the box was left to run by Edgeworth into Field’s path, but he ballooned it over the open goal.

A Garcia left footed volley proved a comfortable catch for Harris, but it wasn’t long before the Ducks had their deserved second – with a goal worth the admission fee alone.

Garcia was the catalyst for Aylesbury yet again, as his determination not to lose the ball paid off, as he managed to stab it into the path of Edgeworth, who produced a rip roaring finish on the half volley which gave Harris no chance. 2-0 Aylesbury

Far from the goal killing Hillingdon off, it seemed only to serve as a wakeup call for the visitors, who visibly upped their game from that point on.

They pushed Chris Baah from left-back to left-wing, and he was a constant menace for United and on another day could have had a hat trick.

First to threaten was Adam Willis, who managed to knock the ball ahead of Jack Wood just inside the Aylesbury half, allowing him to race free, but he couldn’t hit the target as his shot rolled wide of Sillitoe’s far post.

Three minutes on and Baah retrieved a long ball on the left which had looked to be heading out, his low cross-shot into the box flying wide when it just needed a touch.

Seconds later he was at it again when the ball dropped to him around the penalty spot, producing the shot of a full back which was rather tamely fired straight at Sillitoe.

Jamie Houliston then came forward soon afterwards, past two men, before crashing a left footed shot over the bar.

Hillingdon were right back in the match, and an Aylesbury attempt was something of a rarity at this point, but Field had a good chance when Edgeworth helped the ball on for him, but he placed his effort wide across goal.

The dangerous Baah had another shot straight at Sillitoe, before then seemingly being dragged down in the box by McNulty as the Ducks escaped a strong penalty shout – Chris Drake booked for protesting too strongly in the aftermath.

A Borough goal had been coming for some time, and it duly arrived after 74 minutes. The ball was well worked down the right, before a low, pacey ball into the box was turned into the net by Liam Hind. 1-2

The visitors sensed a full on comeback was in the offing, throwing on another striker in the shape of burly front man Paul Haynes immediately after the goal, whilst Aylesbury introduced Melford Simpson for Hallford.

They had further chances through Baah again, who sent a volley flying just over the bar, then saw an effort blocked in the area before the rebound struck Luke Flood and flew behind.

In the end though, they contributed to their own downfall and the concession of a game-clinching third goal.

Liam Hind, booked for dissent just four minutes earlier, needlessly tugged back Simpson near the right corner flag, and collected his second yellow card and subsequent dismissal.

Jones swung in the resulting free-kick, which was retrieved beyond the far post by Acheampong, and headed powerfully into the net from 5-yards by Melford Simpson. 3-1 Aylesbury

As Hillingdon’s lack of discipline continued, Baah became the 5th player booked (along with several warned) when he became the latest name in the referee’s notebook a minute before the end.

It detracted from the visitors’ overall performance, which had been very good, Borough proving one of the strongest teams to visit Bell Close this season.

They grabbed another goal in stoppage time when Paul Haynes managed to scrape the ball past Sillitoe on the goal-line. 2-3

It reduced arrears, but with barely time to restart the match after the goal the crucial three points went the way of Aylesbury.

Minute by Minute Updates

Still no Mulholland for the Ducks today, McNulty comes into defence for Gordon, whilst Acheampong starts in place of Hallford

Late team change for the Ducks: Tom Barnett injured in the warmup, so Lewis Hallford replaces him with Tony Joyce naming himself on the bench