Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
The Evo-Stik League South
Match Report


Aylesbury made a near-perfect start to the 2012/13 season – scoring four without reply and advancing to the next round of the FA Cup against Enfield 1893.

In a dominant first half the match was effectively ended as a contest just before the half hour mark when the Ducks scored their third.

United lined up with debutants Bircham, Reynolds, Hatch and Cooper in the side and – in something of a surprise – Marcus Sawyer also took his place in left-midfield as Tony Joyce opted for a 4-4-2 system.

His charges made a flying start to the match and after surviving a very early Enfield corner, took the lead with just four minutes gone. A free-kick from the left corner of the penalty box was curled deliciously towards goal, beyond Ashley Harris and into the net for the opener. 1-0 Aylesbury

It might have been two when Hatch met Sawyer’s corner kick on the near post and headed over, but the greens didn’t have to wait long. In the fourteenth minute Cooper and Field took full advantage of poor defending with the former slotting through for the latter to guide into the net past Harris. 2-0 Aylesbury

The Ducks were well in control of proceedings and Bircham came close to a debut goal when a deep corner was headed back across goal – Bircham meeting the ball but Harris making a good save on the line to deny him.

The follow up was fired back with interest against the foot of the post by the unlucky Sawyer, before Wood miscued the second rebound badly and the ball ended up behind the goal.

A minute later Cooper got the better of the defence but couldn’t direct his long-range lob beyond the wayward Harris.

In the 28th minute, and with an almost carbon-copy move, he found the net. A long defensive clearance was snapped up by the lively forward, who finished superbly over the stranded keeper and into the net for his debut goal. 3-0 Aylesbury

With the game won United eased up somewhat for the closing stages of the first half, and Enfield were afforded their first meaningful attempt at the end of a swift counter attack – but Ashley Taylor-Forbes could only blaze high and wide when presented a clear sight of goal.

Aylesbury still had the better chance of the first half, Hatch missing a sitter after Bircham had dropped a perfectly placed free-kick for him but he could only kick thin air, whilst Joey Acheampong saw a header turned wide by Harris after good link-up between Reynolds and Sawyer down the left.

A turn and shot from Andre Taiwo was the best of Enfield’s remaining efforts, before the half was rounded off by Cooper heading into Harris’ arms from Wood’s head back across goal.

Half-time: Aylesbury 3-0 Enfield

The start of the second half saw the visitors take the game to their hosts as Enfield were much improved, forcing a number of early corners which all came to nothing.

They had a great chance in the 55th minute when the ball was cut back for the unmarked Taylor-Forbes, but he let fly with a shot which went miles over the bar. A long shot from the same player six minutes later fared no better.

Enfield were having more of the game but never seriously threatening, with the match seemingly petering to a close, and Jack Sillitoe remained untested throughout the ninety minutes.

Aylesbury introduced substitutes Williams, Townsend and, late on, Donaldson, and it was Williams who added a fourth United goal in the final moments.

Catching Harris off guard he nicked the ball as the keeper bounced it, before curling an outrageous 30-yard left footer into the top corner of the empty net. Enfield protested the goal’s legality – but couldn’t deny the quality of the strike, as ‘The Leader’ marked his return to green and white in spectacular fashion. 4-0 Aylesbury

Prior to that Enfield came as close as they would for the entire match. The Ducks made a mess of clearing their lines, gifting the ball straight back to Aaron Cato and the former Cockfosters man rattled the bar with his shot.

In the last minute there was still time for Paul Edgeworth to miss two unbelievable chances when first he fired over an open goal from two-yards after Garcia’s great work and cross was flicked on by Field. Then, he did similar with a header from the same position after fine play by Acheapong this time.

It mattered not as the result and handsome scoreline had been settled well before that, setting up a Preliminary Round tie for Aylesbury against Northwood at Bell Close in two weeks time.

Minute by Minute Updates

And we're underway here at Bell Close...

2. Early corner forced by Enfield after a delivery comes of Sillitoe behind.
Enfield penalised for pushing
4. GOAL! 1-0 Aylesbury. Edgeworth fires in a delicious free-kick across goal and past the keeper
9. Cooper wins an Aylesbury corner... Hatch heads over Sawyer's delivery on the near post
11. Ball in skims off Bircham's head and goes behind for a corner
13. GOAL! 2-0 Aylesbury: Cooper helps ball on for Field to nip in and slot home
18. Probing move from Aylesbury, Garcia tries to slide the ball in but it's put behind for a corner...
18. Deep kick headed back by Acheampong, met by Bircham and saved on the line by the keeper
Sawyer belted the rebound which struck the base of the post
Wood miscued the second rebound well wide
19. Cooper gets the better of the defence, attempted long lob miss hit
Enfield having a better spell just now
26. Shot comes in but blocked in the box, second delivery in but Enfield caught offside
28. GOAL! 3-0 Aylesbury. Long clearance from Reynolds, Cooper runs on and produces a fantastic lob to beat the stranded keeper!
Aylesbury corner... Enfield continue their tactic of pulling everyone back - even at 3-0 down
37. Quick counter gives Enfield their first clear sight of goal, but Taylor-Forbes blazes high and wide
39. Bircham free-kick delivery presented Hatch with a sitter but he could only kick the air
43. More great football from Aylesbury! Reynolds/Sawyer linked up and the latter hung up a cross for Acheampong whose header was turned wide
45. Turn and shot on the edge of the box from Taiwo, easy for Sillitoe
45. Nearly! Deep corner met by Wood but hits the post. Follow up crossed in but Cooper's header caught

HT: Aylesbury 3-0 Enfield: Excellent, dominant first half by Aylesbury

Enfield get us underway for the second half...

1. Early corner for Enfield... short corner delivered in, Acheampong takes the ball off Taylor-Forbes' foot
2. Second corner headed out by Edgeworth
Eventually put out for a third corner which comes to nothing
4. Wood down injured after taking a boot to the face
9. Enfield much improved this half so far, Aylesbury struggling to get going
10. Good chance for Enfield. Ball cut back for unmarked Taylor-Forbes who blasts over
13. Aylesbury sub: Greg Williams on for Marcus Sawyer
16. Long ranger from Taylor-Forbes flies past the upright
17. Field destroys Scott for pace, squares ball but put behind by the defence
19. Important defensive header from Wood puts the ball out for a corner
20. Enfield corner clawed away by Sillitoe under the bar
24. Enfield sub: Osei for Taiwo
26. Aylesbury corner... came to nothing
30. Shot from Osei well over the bar
34. Flighted ball into the box met by Edgeworth, volley missed the target - would have been special!
35. Aylesbury sub: Townsend on for Cooper
38. Aylesbury make a mess of clearing their lines, presenting Cato with a sight of goal. His shot comes back off the bar
39. GOAL! 4-0 Aylesbury. Unbelievable goal from Greg Williams! Took it really well after seizing on a loose ball from the keeper, and curling it into the top corner with his left foot from 30-yards!
42. Aylesbury sub: Donaldson on for Wood
44. Edgeworth misses open goal from 2-yards! Great play down the right by Garcia, great ball in flicked on by Field and missed by Edgeworth...
45. Edgeworth misses another sitter! Good work and cross by Acheampong headed over by Edgeworth

FT: Aylesbury 4-0 Enfield: Not so good second half but never seriously threatened and added another goal