Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



A thoroughly deserved three points for Aylesbury weren’t secured until Louis Austin scored in stoppage time to complete a 2-0 win over AFC Dunstable.

Despite the Dunstable outfit having won only once in their previous five matches and recently losing their talismanic striker BJ Christie, they gave United a stern test, but the Ducks rose to the occasion with a dominant second half performance that could have seen them score many more goals.

First chance of the match went the way of the visitors when a nice move down the right ended with Jonathan Barnett scooping the ball over the bar.

The match was a scrappy affair for much of the first period and Aylesbury’s first real attempt at goal only arrived in the 15th minute when Zac Reynolds hit an ambitious long range effort over.

Dunstable striker Jason Blackett should twice have done better in a matter of minutes when firstly intercepting a Ben Butler pass, running through but shooting well wide of the target. He then struck a low shot which Jack Sillitoe was able to save with his legs after a through ball threaded to him.

After that left off United began to take control of proceedings, with Reynolds coming in from the left again and seeing a shot blocked.

The Ducks should have opened the scoring on the half hour mark when an Austin cross was dropped by Sam Leggett in goal, where Joey Acheampong saw a shot crash back off the crossbar before Ben Baines fired hire and unhandsomely over the empty goal from six-yards out.

With top-scorer Stacey Field watching on from the bench, Austin was pulling all the strings in Aylesbury’s attack and he duly set up the opener, after 39 minutes. A typical surging run took him to the byeline, where he pulled the ball back for Zac Reynolds to calmly slot home. 1-0 Aylesbury

Half-time: Aylesbury 1-0 AFC Dunstable

Roared on by their season’s best crowd of 181, Aylesbury were rampant after the interval and had many chances to increase the lead before the second, through Austin, finally arrived in stoppage time.

With just five second half minutes played Daniel Jones’s inswinging corner was cleared off the line by Courtney Massey, before Acheampong drove a shot into the side netting at the near post.

Just seconds later and good play by Reynolds saw his shot charged down by a defender, and as he cut inside to hit a second attempt the ball looped up off an opponent and over the bar for a corner that was headed wide by John Mulholland.

After Jones curled a well-positioned free kick over the bar, United introduced Paul Edgeworth to their frontline in place of the ineffective Acheampong, and within 90 seconds he was heavily involved with two misses in quick succession. Austin picked him out with a pull back from the goalline, with Leggett making a good save to deny him, and then he fired the ball over from three-yards out having been found in the box again.

An unbelievable five minute passage of play continued as Edgeworth teed up Reynolds this time whose shot was miraculously cleared off the line. This was quickly followed by a swift break by Jones down the left who found Edgeworth two-yards out, and he was also denied from point blank range, this time Leggett’s legs the Dunstable saviour.

The Aylesbury pressure was unwavering as the time passed as Mulholland headed Edgeworth’s deep corner delivery wide, whilst a Baines curling shot took a nick off a defender to carry it just wide.

With a superb shot, Edgeworth then hit the crossbar as his dipping effort had Leggett beaten all ends up, and, after successive corners, Mulholland hooked the ball tamely goalwards moments later.

With the misses stacked up, the game had the look of one that would come back to bite United, and it was very nearly so as only a saving challenge from Mulholland prevented Blackett reaching an intricate through ball.

Despite throwing three men forward after their substitutions, that was about as close as the visitors came to scoring in the end, Aylesbury having to defend some late corners strongly which they did well, whilst a late penalty shout came to nothing with Sillitoe out of his goal and flailing.

As on Wednesday night, it was left to United to finish the match strongest. Austin broke onto Butler’s header forwards and drew Leggett from his line before teeing up Reynolds who could only place his shot over.

Instead, it was Austin who finally crowned United’s dominance with a second goal – and how! Picking up the ball just inside his half, the former Leverstock Green man went on a waltzing run that ended with him beating Leggett for a magnificent solo effort. 2-0 Aylesbury

With no time for further action, full time was duly sounded and another excellent three points for Aylesbury, and another match tallied up on their superb unbeaten run which now stands at 14 matches.

Prior to the game Daniel Jones was honoured having recently made his 100th appearance for the club, and is pictured below receiving his award from Chairman Graham Read.


Minute by Minute Updates

We've kicked off here...

3. Nice move down the right ended with a shot helped over the bar by Barnett
13. Reynolds played in down the right, 35-yard sighter well over
15. Butler with a fine searching ball finds Reynolds arriving, shot guided just wide of goal courtesy of a deflection. Corner...
16. Corner found Hatch but he couldn't make proper contact
17. Acheampong wins a corner...
Foul given
19. Blackett intercepted Butler pass, shot well wide from outside the box
20. Reynolds on a run, one-two with Acheampong clearly handled by a defender before being put behind for a corner...
Hatch penalised for climbing again
23. Ball slipped through for Blackett, clear sight at goal, shot saved by Sillitoe's legs
28. Reynolds in again from the left, shot blocked by defence
31. Should have been a goal. Austin cross dropped by the keeper, Acheampong crashes shot against the bar then Baines blazes over from 6-yards
37. Butler follow up shot deflected wide after free-kick, corner...
39. GOAL! 1-0 Aylesbury. Austin brilliant play to get to the byeline, cut back for Reynolds to finish
42. Harnaman booked for kicking the ball away
44. Austin wins a corner... comes to nothing

HT: Aylesbury 1-0 AFC Dunstable - An even half with Reynolds goal splitting the teams at the break

Second half is underway...

5. Austin wins a corner...
Jones inswinger cleared off the line by Massey
Acheampong shot into the side netting
7. Good play by Reynolds, first shot blocked. Left footed effort loops off defender and over. Corner...
Mulholland headed wide
13. AFC attack down the right and win a corner, cleared by Mulholland
15. Jones curls free-kick well over
15. Aylesbury sub: Edgeworth on for Acheampong
17. Two misses in quick succession by the substitute! Firstly Austin cut back from the byeline, fine save by the keeper. Then he turns over a shot from 3-yards out
18. Reynolds then unbelievably cleared off the line after Edgeworth teed him up!
Great effort from Butler after corner cleared to him, well blocked
21. Corner kick for AFC cleared away
22. Jones swift break down the left, cross dropped for Edgeworth 2-yards out whose shot hit the fallen keeper on the line
24. Great pass by Reynolds headed behind for a corner...
Deep by Edgeworth and headed wide by Mulholland
25. AFC sub: Birch on for Barnett
28. Burgoyne booked
28. Baines curler takes a nick wide for a corner...
Combination of Baines/Hatch header goes wide
30. Edgeworth excellent dipping comes back off the bar
30. Aylesbury corner...
2nd corner...
Mulholand hooks it goalwards
31. AFC subs: Butler and Wills for Harnaman and Turney
34. Saving challenge by Mulholland to clear a dangerous through ball from
37. Foul on Hatch at one end not given, leads to corner which Sillitoe does well to punch away
Aylesbury break and win a free-kick at the other end
41. Austin fed onto Butler header forwards, drew the keeper before teeing up Reynolds who curled over
42. Penalty appeal let off against Sillitoe, nervous moment
45. GOAL! 2-0 Aylesbury. Fabulous solo effort Austin finally wraps this up!

FT: Aylesbury 2-0 AFC Dunstable - Second goal was a long time coming, but thoroughly deserved given the chances in the second half