Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com

Oxhey Jets

3 5

Aylesbury United

  Half-time: (3-1)  
    Sam STYLESPlayer Image1
    Chris KILLERPlayer Image2
    Andrew LOMASPlayer Image3
    Chris INGHAMPlayer Image4
    Chris MCINTYREPlayer Image5
    15 105m Tom INCHPlayer Image6
    Ian BYWATERPlayer Image7
    14 105m Warren GLADDYPlayer Image8
    Luke BEARDSWORTHPlayer Image9
    Lewis PUTMANPlayer Image10
    12 64m Lee INCHPlayer Image11
    11 64m Lee GRACEPlayer Image12
    8 105m Eoin CASEYPlayer Image14
    6 105m Dan TILBURYPlayer Image15
    Darren BUTLERPlayer Image16
    David JACKSPlayer Image17
    1Player ImageJack SILLITOE8
    2Player ImageShane WOOD7
    3Player ImageDaniel JONES15 89m 6
    4Player ImageJack WOOD (c)7
    5Player ImageBen BUTLER12 95m 7
    6Player ImageSteve HATCH7
    7Player ImageBen BAINES7
    8Player ImageGreg WILLIAMS14 41m 7
    9Player ImageLouis AUSTIN9
    10Player ImageStacey FIELD8
    11Player ImageZack REYNOLDS7
    12Player ImageLiam SMYTH5 95m 8
    14Player ImagePaul EDGEWORTH8 41m 8
    15Player ImageJoey ACHEAMPONG3 89m 7
    16Player ImageTony JOYCE
    17Player ImageMatt TIMBERLAKE
    MManager ImageTony JOYCE
    Match Report


    At half time at Boundary Park, Aylesbury’s Premier Division Cup dreams and long unbeaten run looked set to come an end as a dominant Oxhey Jets took what appeared to be an unassailable 3-1 lead into the interval.

    But ‘losing’ isn’t a word which has featured in United’s vocabulary since November, and with a characterful and gutsy showing overturned their setback and, with the aid of extra time, eventually won 5-3.

    In the bitter cold, Aylesbury warmed their supporters with a dream start. Zac Reynolds broke down the left and found Louis Austin, and his low shot across goal was scooped into the net by the opportunistic Stacey Field with just five minutes played. 1-0 Aylesbury

    As an attacking force, that was about as good as things got for the Ducks in the opening period as, a Ben Baines hooked effort over the bar aside, they found themselves pinned back for long spells by the increasingly assured Jets.

    Ian Bywater started things off with a long shot that flew well wide, before 63-goal striker Lewis Putman began looking for his range, cutting inside onto his favoured left foot on a couple of occasions but failing to test Jack Sillitoe.

    United were having to defend for their lives, but were doing a decent job with corner kicks and free kicks coming to nothing, Luke Beardsworth heading the latest set piece wide from a fine left sided delivery after Jack Wood was penalised.

    Try as they might though, Aylesbury just couldn’t get out of their own half and were left reeling by three goals in twelve minutes that put the hosts in a commanding position.

    Oxhey’s continued pressure finally paid off with the Ducks unable to get the ball away, as it eventually came to Lee Inch he directed the ball on the half volley into the top corner, dropping in off the post past a helpless Sillitoe. 1-1

    Jets then took the lead with ten first half minutes remaining, with another avoidable goal from Aylesbury’s perspective as Luke Beardsworth’s low shot crept along the ground, past a rooted Sillitoe and in off the post. 2-1 Oxhey

    Putman had another long shot easily held by Sillitoe, but it wasn’t long before his teammates were on target again. Just three minutes after their second, Oxhey extended their advantage through Ian Bywater, who jumped over Daniel Jones to reach a left wing cross and head home. 3-1 Oxhey

    Aylesbury lost Greg Williams to injury just before the break, but were happy to get off the field and reorganise as their hopes lay in tatters with the match seemingly beyond them.

    Half-time: Oxhey Jets 3-1 Aylesbury

    With some choice words from Tony Joyce still ringing in their ears, another early goal proved just what United needed to kick start a recovery. Louis Austin duly obliged, capitalising on Jets’ defensive hesitancy as they allowed a Sillitoe punt downfield to bounce, Austin nipping in to head over the stranded former Aylesbury keeper Sam Styles and into the net. 2-3

    The rejuvenated Ducks then set about looking for an equaliser, with Ben Butler firing over after the ball fell kindly for him, and substitute Paul Edgeworth rolling his man and chipping over the bar, but it wasn’t entirely one-way traffic with the Oxhey also chipping for goal in an effort caught by Sillitoe.

    Oxhey introduced reigning Aylesbury FC Player of the Year Lee Grace, but whilst his tricky wing play was an asset later on, it was United who struck next with an equalising goal.

    With the home defence appealing in vain for an offside, Field chased the loose ball to the byeline before cutting it back for Butler to score at the second attempt after Styles had made a good initial block. 3-3

    Sillitoe made two world class saves to keep the scores level, the first tipping over the bar, the second a fine one-handed stop to deny the already celebrating Warren Gladdy after Beardsworth had set him up, whilst Grace saw a shot blocked after working his way into the box.

    A pulsating match continued its action as it switched to the other end where Austin’s header was turned wide by Styles for a corner, before Reynolds and Field both saw subsequent efforts charged down.

    Aylesbury lost another player to injury when Daniel Jones was forced off after an awkward landing on the hard pitch, with Joey Acheampong entering the fray.

    In the final minute of normal time Jack Wood could have wrapped up an Aylesbury win when Edgeworth’s inswinging corner was met by the Ducks’ captain, but his header cruelly came back off the crossbar and the match was sent to extra time.

    Full-time: Oxhey Jets 3-3 Aylesbury

    Jets got off to a good start as a long range Grace shot was gathered in by Sillitoe at the second attempt under pressure, before defender Chris McIntyre headed wide from a clipped cross.

    A flowing move then finished with Beardsworth shooting straight at Silitoe, and Grace had another shot as the home side were unable to make their chances count.

    By contrast, the Ducks went ahead with their first opening of extra time, in the 100th minute. Edgeworth, who had been an important figure since coming on, helped the ball on for Austin who fluidly hooked the ball into the net. 4-3 Aylesbury

    There should have been a fifth goal almost immediately when Liam Smyth played Austin clean through but Styles came out on top of the one-on-one, in the last action of the first added time period.

    Half time in extra time: Oxhey Jets 3-4 Aylesbury

    Oxhey threw on substitutes Eoin Casey and Dan Tilbury in one last throw of the dice, but momentum remained with Aylesbury who saw another Edgeworth corner scraped off the line at the last moment.

    With a fifth goal, the result was put beyond doubt in the 112th minute. Field’s shot was saved by Styles having gone clean through, but the stranded keeper was powerless to prevent Smyth skilfully lofting the ball over him and into the net. 5-3 Aylesbury

    Jets weren’t quite a spent force, and only another brilliant save by Sillitoe denied Grace after the quiet Putman’s shot had come through to him, and Bywater headed another late cross wide.

    In the dying seconds United could have netted again with one Ben Baines won’t want to dwell on for too long, skying the ball from six-yards after it was put on a plate for him by Field.

    It had little relevance with the game all but over, and Aylesbury were euphoric when the final whistle sounded to signal reaching a second Cup Final of what has already been a tremendous season.