Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



Aylesbury returned to form with a much needed win, as old rivals Marlow were sent back to South Bucks having been beaten 5-1 at Bell Close.

Tony Joyce’s ability to mix his squad up with recalls for Shane Wood and Lee Grace underlined the depth currently available to the Aylesbury manager, and five different scorers showed the strength of this team’s attacking abilities. Indeed, United’s three league wins of the campaign to date have now seen them score four, five and five goals with a goalscoring record only bettered by Kettering Town.

Marlow started the game all guns blazing, with their pacy attacking play causing plenty of problems, and with just twenty seconds on the clock a long ball put Liam Ferdinand in on goal but he fired wide with only Jack Sillitoe opposing him.

Jordace Holder-Spooner then picked out midfielder Corey King with a raking diagonal pass, Sillitoe beating away his shot to prevent a first minute goal for the visitors.

The frantic start to the game also saw Aylesbury waste a corner, Jake Bewley see a long shot well held by Simon Grant under pressure, and a quick throw to Stacey Field which was crossed in just too far ahead of the chasing Paul Edgeworth.

Matters began to settle and a more steady rhythm to the game developed, the first half remaining finely balanced with Edgeworth having the best opening having been picked out by Reynolds’s square pass but hitting his first time strike straight at Grant.

United were forced into a change midway through the opening period when Bewley had to leave the field with an injury, replaced by Jesse Waites, with Grace dropping to left back.

Aylesbury began to up the ante, and a good move on the half hour mark ended with Field’s shot turned behind by Grant for a corner. The resulting set piece came to nothing, but from another flag kick three minutes later Steve Hatch should have scored when he was left unattended but failed to make proper contact with a header, and the ball looped over the bar.

Either side of that chance Edgeworth lifted a shot over the target having been set up by the ever-threatening Reynolds, and Field had another shot turned behind, so when the opener arrived less than a minute later it came as little surprise.

What was surprising was the gift-like nature of the first goal. Lea Coulter tried his luck with an ambitious long range volley, which although on target looked to be covered by Grant but the unfortunate keeper, despite getting two hands behind the ball, could only help it into his net and United were celebrating. 1-0 Aylesbury

After a typical solo run from Reynolds ended with a wayward finish, Marlow produced a rare moment of threat which required a superb defensive header from Shane Wood to clear the danger after a quickly taken corner kick.

The Blues then called Sillitoe to make another superb save, with the rebound crashing into a visiting player as Aylesbury’s lead was preserved.

Instead, it was the Ducks who scored next to take a two-goal cushion to the interval. Again, the goalkeeping was questionable, as Grant came to try and punch a throw in from the right, Bill Morgan beating him to the ball to head it over him where the waiting Waites headed into the unguarded net for his second Aylesbury goal. 2-0 Aylesbury

Half-time: Aylesbury 2-0 Marlow

The supporters had barely time to re-take their seats before a third home goal effectively ended any hopes of a Marlow comeback.

This time Grant was left with no chance, as Field from the left found Hatch inside the area, and he superbly sidestepped his home before thumping home a superb left footed finish. 3-0 Aylesbury

Moments later, Ferdinand got the better of Morgan but was foiled by an excellent defensive intervention from Coulter as his wait for a first Marlow goal continues, and the tricky Devontae Romeo brought himself some space before crashing an effort back off the crossbar, as the Blues refused to lie down.

Aylesbury had a great chance for a fourth when Hatch released Field on the end of a flowing move, but the Ducks number ten could only produce a weak scuffed shot which was comfortably dealt with by Grant.

Instead of a fourth goal, it was a sending off that finally seemed to have killed Marlow when Kurtney Brooks was shown a straight red card in the 67th minute for an ugly, late challenge on Coulter.

The ten men had other ideas though, and reduced the arrears just three minutes later. A through ball found Romeo, who found himself clear to round Sillitoe and roll the ball into the empty net. 1-3

Like at North Greenford United two weeks earlier, the opponent’s goal only served to spur United on further, and after another three minutes they had a fourth.

Substitute Shaun Owens made an instant impact when, with his first touch of the ball, he threaded a fine pass through to Reynolds who still had plenty of work to do, but produced an accurate half volley into the far corner of the net. 4-1 Aylesbury

The flurry of goals was completed on 76 minutes with Reynolds integral again. His marauding run on the left took him to a one-on-one situation with Grant, and although his attempted dinked finish was going wide, Edgeworth was on hand to divert the ball into the net. 5-1 Aylesbury

On another day Field could have had a hat-trick as he again produced a weak finish following a slick pass from Reynolds, whilst Greg Williams entered the fray and very nearly converted a near post corner kick with his first touch.

Next it was Waites who should have added to the scoring when Owens’s superb curling free kick was headed wide by the winger, whilst Edgeworth and Reynolds also both failed to hit the target with late efforts as Aylesbury missed the opportunity to enhance their goalscoring record further.

Marlow’s only response was a long shot from Holder-Spooner that flashed wide across goal, and the game was ended with Owens firing over from inside the box after a corner kick had caused mayhem.

A thoroughly deserved win for the Ducks who could quite easily have added to their scoring, Tony Joyce’s team now have a ten day break before taking on Bedford Town at Bell Close.

Minute by Minute Updates
  • FT Aylesbury 5-1 Marlow - The Ducks rewarded for a commanding second half display with a big win
  • 90 Aylesbury corner. Taken by Owens. Owens got the ball back and shot over after mayhem in the box
  • 85 Holder-Spooner flashed long shot wide
  • 84 Waites spreads the ball to Reynolds, strides forward and drives the ball just over
  • 83 Edgeworth lets fly and just misses the target from range
  • 82 Superb free kick delivery from Owens headed wide by Waites. Should have been number 6!
  • 80 Aylesbury corner. Nearly turned in at the near post by Williams
  • 79 Williams for Hatch
  • 79 Reynolds slick pass inside released the running Field, poor finish saved by the keeper
  • 76 5-1 Aylesbury. Tremendous run from Reynolds down the left, dinked finish touched in by Edgeworth
  • 76 Ighorae for Simpson
  • 74 Mealing played in, left footed shot straight at Sillitoe
  • 73 4-1 Aylesbury. Instant impact for Owens who threads a fine ball for Reynolds who half volleys into the far corner
  • 72 Owens for Coulter
  • 70 1-3. Through ball finds Romeo who sidesteps Sillitoe and slots into the empty net
  • 68 Free kick from Edgeworth clears the bar
  • 67 Brooks dismissed for ugly, late challenge on Coulter
  • 64 Marlow corner. Taken by Holder-Spoooner. Taken short and comes to nothing
  • 62 Barney and Mealing for Ferdinand and King
  • 60 Marlow corner. Taken by Holder-Spooner. Into side netting
  • 58 Flowing move ends with Hatch helping on for Field who scuffs the shot straight to Grant
  • 57 Ovenden booked
  • 53 Romeo wriggles into space, drills shot against bar
  • 52 Aylesbury corner. Taken by Edgeworth. Jack Wood heads in the wrong direction
  • 51 Bailey booked
  • 51 Reynolds cross nearly diverted in by Bailey
  • 51 Ferdinand foiled by a good intervention from Coulter having got the better of Morgan
  • 46 3-0 Aylesbury. Ball squared to Hatch who steps inside his man and buries a drive
  • Second half has kicked off...
  • HT HT: Aylesbury 2-0 Marlow - Finely balanced game with chances for both sides, United rather gifted their two-goal advantage
  • 44 2-0 Aylesbury. Waites headed in after Morgan beat the keeper to throw in ahead of the keeper
  • 42 Marlow corner. Cleared by Morgan
  • 42 Free kick releases man, Sillitoe with a great save. Follow up hits Marlow man
  • 41 Coulter booked
  • 40 Marlow corner. Delivered by Holder-Spooner. Taken short then crossed in where a superb Shane Wood header clears
  • 37 Reynolds with a long solo run before crashing it over from range
  • 33 1-0 Aylesbury. Long range volley from Coulter helped into the goal by Grant
  • 32 Aylesbury corner. Taken by Edgeworth. Free header for Hatch but skimmer goes over
  • 32 Long ball set Field, shot turned behind
  • 31 Cross field ball headed on by Reynolds to Edgeworth whose first time attempt is lifted well over
  • 29 Good move from Aylesbury, ball passed to Field, shot beaten behind for corner
  • 29 Aylesbury corner. Taken by Edgeworth. Comes to nothing
  • 24 Waites on for injured Bewley
  • 23 Reynolds won ball back, fed Edgeworth square whose first time hit fielded by Grant
  • 16 Aylesbury corner. Taken by Edgeworth. Just too high for Jack Wood
  • 12 Quick throw released Field, flashed cross in just too far ahead of Edgeworth
  • 12 Long shot from Bewley well held by Grant
  • 7 Frantic start to the game!
  • 6 Aylesbury corner. Taken by Edgeworth. Comes to nothing
  • 1 Holder-Spooner picks out King with a diagonal ball, shot beat away by Sillitoe
  • 1 Long ball puts Ferdinand in on goal, shot wide with only Sillitoe to beat
  • Pre-Match Underway...
  • Pre-Match Two changes tonight: Shane Wood replaces Freshwater and Grace replaces Waites