Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report


Despite an improved performance, Aylesbury’s second visit to Beaconsfield SYCOB in two days went the way of the first, the reigning Berks & Bucks Cup runners-up exiting the competition at the hands of the 2013 winners.

When the hosts took a spectacular lead early in the first half it looked like more of the same for the Ducks following their 3-0 weekend defeat, but United went on to fashion a number of openings before deservedly equalising before the break.

Both sides made a handful of changes from the first game, as competition eligibility rules kept out a number of the Ducks’ most recent signings including goalkeeper Zaki Oualah, but they were boosted in every outfield department as Chris Crook, Paul Lyon and Stacey Field all returned.

An evening of misfortune for United was typified in the opening stages as they lost two players to injury within the first twelve minutes. Firstly, Alvin Rajaram was helped from the pitch to be replaced by Shiblu Miah for his first appearance since returning to the club.

Lee Grace barely had chance to settle in his new right back position before he too then went down, with nobody near him, and in clear discomfort was also forced out of the game. Lea Coulter came on to be the team’s third right back of the night.

Four minutes later and Adam Losasso hit a 25-yard screamer that gave Dan Green no chance as it nestled in the top corner. Unlike on Saturday there was no deflection this time, just a fabulous effort. 1-0 Beaconsfield

With a hungry looking Field leading the line after three games out, Aylesbury regularly posed a threat in the first half. It was he who latched onto a poor backheader to tee up Taylor Collins midway through, but his strike partner put it wide with the goal gaping.

Field himself was then guilty of a bad miss after Jake Bewley’s cross in was headed on by Sonny French before being headed over the bar from close range by Field and United kept up the pressure when Field played Collins through who bent a well crafted effort just beyond the post.

When Omari Patrick saw a low shot comfortably saved by Green the home attack was something of a rarity, with his opposite number soon back in action to get everything behind a long shot from Field.

Aylesbury did finally make their dominance pay with a 41st minute goal. Field slipped the ball through to find the run of Collins who this time produced a composed low finish to level the match and end the half on a high. 1-1

Half-time: Beaconsfield 1-1 Aylesbury

Aylesbury continued in much the same vein early on in the second half as Collins ran onto the ball but his shot lacked the power to beat the keeper and was easily claimed, before Lyon got on the end of French’s ball into the box but saw his looping header claimed by the keeper.

SYCOB then suffered an injury of their own as Aaron Minhas was temporarily grounded, but when he returned to the game his 20-yard shot was routinely fielded by Green, whilst a dipping free kick from Losasso dropped over.

It marked the start of a concerted spell of pressure from the Rams for the first time in the game, as the home side moved the ball about well, but the Ducks were looking resolute and stood firm.

Instead, when a ball fell to Collins on the edge of the box he crashed a shot over the bar and United were unable to put themselves ahead for the first time. On another day the young striker could have had a hat-trick.

Shortly before that Lyon, who had missed the first encounter through injury, appeared to suffer a reoccurrence of his knock and became the third injured player to be substituted when he was replaced by Greg Williams.

On 75 minutes home skipper Lee Togwell, who had moved into midfield following Tom Gant's introduction let fly with a long ranger that flew well wide. Undeterred, Togwell tried the same trick just three minutes later and this time the ball skewed off Bewley to fly into the net in the opposite direction to the unfortunate Green’s attempted save. 2-1 Beaconsfield

Having conceded a deflected opener at the weekend, it was rotten luck on the Ducks yet again who seem to be getting no good fortune at the moment.

Beaconsfield were then able to comfortably see out the remainder of the game, and twice went close to extending their lead. Firstly, a long ball released Patrick who cut inside and blazed over, whilst there was a terrible miss from substitute Jack Read with a shot that was high and wide from eight-yards out.

Once again, not the result Aylesbury were looking for, but plenty of positives to take from an encouraging performance. With more important fixtures on the horizon the management will be hoping the injuries sustained aren’t too serious ahead of the visit of Uxbridge to the ASM Stadium.