The Evo-Stik League South
Match Report



A debut goal from Aylesbury’s new Portuguese forward Bruno Brito earned the ten-man Ducks an unlikely share of the spoils from a game they were largely second best.

Having hit the post early on, momentum gradually swung away from United and they were further hindered by Jake Bewley’s sending off midway through the first half, eventually succumbing just before the break to Max Holland’s goal.

The visitors had enough chances to put the game to bed, hitting the woodwork on four occasions, but they were unable to do so before Brito popped up to ensure what could be an important point come the end of the season.

With just six minutes on the clock Alvin Rajaram, starting the game on the left wing, latched onto a sublime 45-yard through ball from new boy Brito and cleverly chipped advancing goalkeeper Berkley Laurencein who just got enough of his glove on it to divert it onto the post where it trickled to safety.

Brito then found himself on the end of a long pass but his effort was comfortably dealt with by Laurencein, and he fired another attempt well over the bar moments later, following Northwood long shots from Niko Muir and Louis Stead which didn’t threaten Zaki Oualah’s goal.

The game was a fairly even contest at this stage with Lewis Osborne’s quick feet giving him a sight of goal but his long shot flew wide, whilst Woods went closer two minutes later as a cross from the right dropped to Holland who cut inside and drilled in a shot that struck the outside of the post.

Bewley’s sending off came as a result of a poor Brito free kick attempt that failed to even get off the ground, the visitors countering quickly where Robbie Hastings suddenly found himself in behind the defence before being taken out by the United left back who left referee Mr Kidd little choice.

The subsequent free kick from Stead was superbly executed and rather cruelly for him came crashing back off the crossbar, to the relief of those in green and white.

Aylesbury were now having to defend doggedly – Rajaram moving back to fill the vacant full back role – and whilst they were doing a good job of keeping their visitors at arms length, Northwood were never shy to shoot on sight with long rangers from Nicholas (twice) and Holland going wide, whilst Myles Stephenson producing a complete miscue in the box.

The excellent Stead did get one of the distance efforts right, as his sweetly struck swerving shot caught Oualah diving the wrong direction but the keeper kept his wits about him to make a fine save with his trailing foot.

With the pressure only growing it was little surprise when Northwood made the breakthrough two minutes before half time with a well made goal. Heartbeat of the team Stead sprayed a pass out wide to Muir who tricked his way past two men to get in a shot and although Oualah kept it out he could do nothing to prevent Holland converting. 1-0 Northwood

In first half stoppage time an incredible thunderbolt of a 35-yard shot from Stephenson had Oualah beaten all ends up but came back off the post as Aylesbury reached the interval with only minimal damage.

Half-time: Aylesbury 0-1 Northwood

The second period started with Osborne putting a free kick over the bar, but the Woods were soon back on the attack and Greg Williams did well to block Hastings’s shot after another strong run by Stead.

On 55 minutes the beleaguered Aylesbury woodwork was struck for a fourth time as Holland made inroads on the left once more before finding Stephenson in the box who rolled his marker but saw his shot come back off the far post.

United’s response came via a free kick on the halfway line that Oualah pumped into the box where it was teed up by Alex Collard to Lea Coulter who snatched at the chance as he drove it wide. With their reduced numbers and struggling to make headway from open play, it was looking like such a moment would be the Ducks’ best way of levelling.

After Oualah had turned Holland’s curling effort behind, it was indeed a free kick that brought about an unexpected equaliser. Owens’s delivery into the box was flicked on by Collard, and there was Brito to rifle home with a good finish. 1-1

With the best part of twenty minutes still to play, Aylesbury’s work was far from done, but Northwood continued to be wasteful in front of goal with Muir the next guilty party as he blazed over from the edge of the box.

Muir then had a shot blocked by Jack Wood, with the resulting corner headed back across goal from the far post where George Nicholas could only divert it wide from a prone position.

Aylesbury could have completed what would have been an incredible win as substitute Shiblu Miah played the ball out to Bruno on his left, who arrowed a low ball across goal where Miah had continued his run and was only inches away from turning it goalwards.

Alternatively things could have gone the other way when Holland got on the end of a left wing cross but put his header wide, and it finished honours even to the obvious disappointment of Northwood and joy of the home faithful.