Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



A traumatic week for the football club came to an end with a 1-0 defeat at the hands of Fleet Town, as Aylesbury’s Southern League survival prospects were dealt another blow.

A rousing minute’s applause was held before the match in honour of first team coach Gary Hawksworth who sadly passed away two days earlier, but in the end home supporters had little else to cheer.

Glyn Creaser’s team selection was once again dictated by player availability, unable to call upon Alex Collard and Sonny French who were replaced by Chris Crook and debutant forward Christian Lester respectively.

Hopes for a long overdue win were high if the team could replicate their excellent performance against Chalfont, and a good start saw Aylesbury hitting the woodwork after just two minutes when Greg Williams latched onto the ball before striking a left footed half volley that flew back off the upright.

A corner kick a minute later had to be tipped over by visiting keeper Ryan Pryce with Shaun Owens’s ball heading straight in, before two subsequent set pieces came to nothing.

Aylesbury’s early momentum was initially halted by injuries to Alvin Rajaram and Lea Coulter, the former having to be helped from the pitch having been clattered by Ben Toye, and replaced by Luca Seminerio.

Once the dust had settled again, it was still the Ducks looking the most likely to find a first half opener with Reece Cameron trying his luck from outside the box but seeing the ball held by Pryce.

The goalkeeper had more to do in the 20th minute when Tyrone Taylor’s familiarity with Lester – the two having been teammates at Padbury, Ampthill and Leighton – allowed him to play a slick-one-two before shooting with power and seeing his fierce effort palmed away.

On the half hour mark Fleet had their first sight of goal, albeit coming from a miscue from Lea Coulter which let Rob Carr in but Zaki Oualah was quickly off his line and forced the winger to lob wide.

Two minutes later Aylesbury were denied by the woodwork again, Jake Bewley striking a superb 25-yard free kick which he was desperately unlucky to see rebound back off the crossbar.

Just before the interval United went close again, Coulter playing an excellent ball into the box which was met firmly by Williams – Pryce on hand to deny the Ducks again although how much he knew of the block with his chest was debateable.

Half-time: Aylesbury 0-1 Fleet

What had been a promising first half showing from Aylesbury unfortunately wasn’t sustained into the second period, as their visitors did perfect job of stifling their hosts as the Ducks were limited to a pair of long shots from Reece Cameron that were held by Pryce.

Having passed the hour mark, United did up their game for a spell again with a smart shot on the turn from Lester having to be tipped over by the busy Pryce.

A flowing move then saw Williams and Lester combine in the area, with the latter electing to square the ball rather than shoot where the veteran Williams was only able to turn the ball wide. In the process, he suffered a nasty collision with the post and a calf injury that saw him stretchered from the pitch and replaced by Ollie Hogg.

Having used all their substitutes, Luca Seminerio then sustained an injury but thankfully, after a few minutes of treatment, the Ducks were restored to a full complement of players.

Having successfully navigated 75 minutes of the game without conceding, Fleet then struck the sucker punch. Lester’s eventful debut saw him concede a free kick for which he was booked, and when the ball swung in Carr climbed highest to direct an excellent header into the net over Oualah. 1-0 Fleet

With that setback Aylesbury were left reeling, and Town could have had another almost immediately as the dangerous Simba Mlambo lead a quick counter attack before squaring the ball for Carr who was only kept at bay by a last ditch challenge from the recovering Jack Wood.

Another free kick delivery allowed Dan Rousell this time to head goalwards, but it was an easy claim for Oualah as Fleet had another chance of adding to the scoreline.

United’s misery was compounded six minutes from time with the dismissal of debutant Lester. A referee who had previously seemed keen to keep his cards in his pocket had already produced a soft caution, then found fit to show another for the slightest of fouls. Unfortunately Lester disgraced himself in throwing the referee’s card to the floor as he stormed off, and appeared to then be shown a straight red instead, a lack of respect that may well have repercussions for the club.

Although Aylesbury tried to put Fleet under pressure in the closing stages, there were to be no further clear cut chances, and the Ducks slumped to another damaging defeat.