Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com

Aylesbury United

2 1

Leighton Town

  Half-time: (1-0)  
7Zaki OUALAHPlayer Image1
7Alvin RAJARAMPlayer Image2
8Jake BEWLEYPlayer Image3
8(c) Jack WOODPlayer Image4
8Chris CROOKPlayer Image5
7Shaun OWENSPlayer Image6
8Bruno BRITOPlayer Image7
7Greg WILLIAMSPlayer Image8
712 73m Vinnie SHRIEVESPlayer Image9
816 90m Sonny FRENCHPlayer Image10
915 86m Lea COULTERPlayer Image11
79 73m Stacey FIELDPlayer Image12
Ricky BROWNPlayer Image14
11 86m Reece CAMERONPlayer Image15
10 90m Ollie HOGGPlayer Image16
Paul LYONPlayer Image17
  Glyn CREASERManager ImageM
1Player ImageSam WYER
2Player ImageOscar BROOKS17 80m 
3Player ImageMaxwell IBETO
4Player ImageAlex WOODFINE14 47m 
5Player ImageIbrahim KALLON
6Player ImageJordan JENKINS
7Player ImageLewis MCBRIDE
8Player ImageAaron MCKEE
9Player ImageJames HATCH
10Player ImageBen GALLANT
11Player ImageJosh MURRAY15 67m 
12Player ImageBrad KIRKWOOD
14Player ImageCraig MAISIRI4 47m 
15Player ImageCurtis SHAW11 67m 
16Player ImageDave BROWN
17Player ImageKerran BIRCH2 80m 
Match Report



Aylesbury took a big step in the direction of Southern League survival by gaining a crucial win against their nearest relegation rivals Leighton Town, moving four points clear of the drop zone in the process.

A wonderful volley from Bruno Brito separated the teams at the interval following a tight first half, but some late drama saw the visitors equalise from a late corner kick only for Lea Coulter to secure the points just three minutes later, with five remaining.

Chris Crook was available again to lineup in defence in one of two changes to the side which had drawn with Barton Rovers at the weekend, with Alvin Rajaram also coming back from an injury layoff, whilst Stacey Field later made a welcome appearance from the bench having been out since December.

On a freezing cold night the game took some time to warm up, Leighton showing ability in passing the ball around neatly but, a Jake Bewley whipped in free kick that was scooped away by the goalkeeper aside, the Ducks taking a 15th minute lead was the first meaningful goalmouth action.

A fine team move saw the ball spread wide to Bewley by Sonny French, the left back’s cross was touched back across goal by the excellent Lea Coulter to Brito on the edge of the box who struck a sweet volley that hit the underside of the bar and bounced down, the eagle-eyed assistant referee on the near side quick to flag and signal the goal. 1-0 Aylesbury

Brito should have at least hit the target three minutes later when French and Coulter linked up in the box, the ball rolling nicely into the Portuguese’s path but he lashed high over the bar with the whole goal to aim at.

A confident United continued to look threatening and having had a penalty appeal turned away after Coulter went down in the area, French came agonisingly close to putting distance between the sides when a crossfield pass found Brito who found Vinnie Shrieves who in turn teed up French to fire just wide across goal.

Two minutes later and French was off target again, dinking a first time shot wide after Jack Wood had retrieved a deep corner kick beyond the far post.

The Reds had played some decent football throughout the first half without end product, and it was an audacious effort that finally got their shot count up and running. Ben Gallant latched onto a James Hatch flick and fired in a first time long ranger that flew past the watchful Zaki Oualah’s upright.

Oualah had to be more involved five minutes later when Aaron McKee lifted a direct free kick over the wall, and although the kick was well placed the goalkeeper was able to get across and turn the ball wide.

Leighton ended the half encamped on the edge of the Aylesbury area, forcing a number of corner kicks, yet that allowed United opportunities to counter and they nearly did so to maximum effect when Bewley was put clean through on his unfavoured right side, but his heavy touch resulted in the ball running through to the advancing keeper.

Half-time: Aylesbury 1-0 Leighton

Aylesbury started the second half on the back foot, escaping strong claims for penalty after 56 minutes when Hatch got on the end of Lewis McBride’s through ball before appearing to be taken down by Oualah, referee Mr Evans unmoved to the Reds’ bemusement.

Four minutes later and Crook was in the right place to clear the ball off the line after Hatch did superbly to twist and dig out a cross from the right, a shot scrambled goalwards where Oualah was beaten but not the defender – one of four in Ducks’ the starting eleven playing against his former club.

As Leighton’s attacking threat continued, they continued to be repelled by Aylesbury’s resolute defence and when yet another corner kick was cleared as far as Kallon he sent an effort high and wide to mark the end of the Red storm.

Now it was Aylesbury’s turn to press forward, with a ball into the box finding French whose smart turn and shot was blocked, Brito collecting the rebound but seeing his fierce effort cannon off a defender and fly wide.

Another good opening midway through the half saw Coulter make progress to the byeline, where he drove in a low cross/shot that was saved by Wyer before Shrieves or Brito could reach it.

With the minutes ticking down, Leighton appeared to be running out of ideas as full back Oscar Brooks tried his luck from distance with a shot that flew harmlessly wide.

But with eight minutes remaining the Reds did find a way through. Ex-Aylesbury winger Lewis McBride delivered a fine corner kick that was met by another ex-Duck in Ben Gallant who arched a header over Oualah and into the net. 1-1

As it looked like the greens had thrown away their chance for a win, the home faithful did their best to rouse their charges who, after a moment to settle, responded with more late pressure on the Leighton goal.

Lea Coulter wriggled free in the area before drawing the keeper and squaring the ball to an unmarked Brito who looked certain to score, only for an unbelievable last-ditch tackle to keep the ball out.

Aylesbury came again, and with five minutes remaining conjured a winner. Brito turned provider this time, sending in an excellent cross that Coulter had no problem heading into the net for his first goal of the season. 2-1 Aylesbury

Glyn Creaser opted for two substitutions to try and wind the clock down as the five minutes plus stoppages seemed like an eternity, but in truth Leighton offered little by way of response as United were able to celebrate a key win.