Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com

Maidenhead United

2 0

Aylesbury United

  Half-time: (1-0)  
      Kieron DRAKEPlayer Image1
      James HAMMONDPlayer Image2
      Max KILMANPlayer Image3
      14 76m Ryan UPWARDPlayer Image4
      (c) Alan MASSEYPlayer Image5
      Charlie WASSMERPlayer Image6
      Christian SMITHPlayer Image7
      Kyran WILTSHIREPlayer Image8
      15 84m Jordan COXPlayer Image9
      12 72m Charlie STRUTTONPlayer Image10
      Sam BARRATTPlayer Image11
      10 72m Josh KELLYPlayer Image12
      4 76m Isaac OLORUNFEMIPlayer Image14
      9 84m Kai WALTERSPlayer Image15
      James COMLEYPlayer Image16
      Carl PENTNEYPlayer Image17
      1Player ImageZaki OUALAH7
      2Player ImageEllis HERCULES7
      3Player ImageJake BEWLEY7
      4Player ImageJack WOOD (c)7
      5Player ImageRyan KINNANE7
      6Player ImageGavin HINDS-CADETTE16 76m 6
      7Player ImageJordon FREDERICK7
      8Player ImageGreg WILLIAMS7
      9Player ImageChid ONOKWAI7
      10Player ImageReece CAMERON12 62m 6
      11Player ImageVijon Syaed SENTAIN14 62m 7
      12Player ImageJosh BAINES10 62m 6
      14Player ImageOllie STANBRIDGE11 62m 6
      15Player ImageAlex CHILCOTT
      16Player ImageOllie HOGG6 76m 
      17Player ImageTaylor COLLINS
      MManager ImageGlyn CREASER
      Match Report


      Match report courtesy of Ian Pluck

      The Ducks travelled to York Road for a tough Berks and Bucks 1st round tie against National League South leaders Maidenhead United, in a repeat of the Cup Final of 2 years ago. The hosts, on the back of a fine start to the season which has seen them lose just one league match so far, rested many of their first team squad, but nonetheless still fielded a strong side.

      Ducks’ Manager Glyn Creaser also chose to rotate his squad, resting Sonny French, Olly Stanbridge, Ollie Hogg, Taylor Collins and Josh Baines from Saturday’s starting line up. In their place there was a recall for Gavin Hinds-Cadette, Jordon Frederick, Greg Williams, Vijon Sentain and new signing centre forward Chid Onokwai.

      Lining up in an unfamiliar 3-5-2 formation, with the wing backs sitting quite deep, the Ducks were immediately under pressure from the first whistle. After a sustained spell of possession football, Christian Smith moved infield with the ball and found wide midfielder Kyran Wiltshire, who struck a low shot which beat Oualah but clipped the far post and went behind for a goal kick.

      The Ducks first real attack came after 12 minutes, when good play from new boy Onokwai found Vijon Sentain 35 yards out, however his speculative shot didn’t pose a threat to the home goal. A few minutes later, a cross from Sam Barratt on the left found home skipper Alan Massey up supporting his strikers. He brought the ball down well but his shot was half blocked by his opposing number Jack Wood and trickled through to Oualah.

      While the Ducks were doing well to keep possession in midfield for the most part, most of the goal scoring opportunities fell to the home side. Next, good work by Barratt down the left saw him fire in a powerful shot which Oualah got down well to save, with the ball falling to ex Chalfont St Peter striker Charlie Strutton, who couldn’t keep his shot down, the ball clearing the bar. Just before the half hour, Onokwai was again involved, playing a good pass through to Reece Cameron who shot from 25 yards, but sadly straight at Kieron Drake in the home goal.

      The deadlock was broken in the 34th minute. The Ducks defence failed to deal with a Barratt cross and the ball fell to Wiltshire on the edge of the penalty area; this time his low shot found the back of the net to give the home side the lead. 1-0 Maidenhead

      The final action of the half saw Smith again involved, feeding Barratt on the left. The winger beat Ryan Kinnane and got his shot away, but Oualah was equal to it, pushing the ball aside for a corner, which was successfully defended.

      Half-time: Maidenhead 2-0 Aylesbury

      The second half started much as the first had done, with the home side dominating possession. Smith outmuscled Onokwai off the ball in the centre of the field and passed to Barratt on the left. The winger cut inside onto his right foot and curled a peach of a shot towards goal. Luckily for the Ducks, it hit the far post with Oualah beaten.

      Just after the hour mark, manager Creaser made a double change, bringing on the fresh legs of Josh Baines and Olly Stanbridge for Reece Cameron and Vijon Sentain.

      On 73 minutes it took a goal saving tackle by the as usual dependable Wood to prevent Jordan Cox extending the lead. The reprieve was short lived however; with the very next attack James Hammond made ground down the right and crossed to Cox. This time his well timed half volley from 8 yards was good enough to beat Oualah to score his side’s second and decisive goal. 2-0 Maidenhead

      Two minutes later, substitute Josh Kelly outpaced Wood and got a shot away, but it flew wide of the goal. The Ducks had an opportunity to reduce the lead shortly afterwards, Onokwai holding the ball up well and feeding it to Bewley, whose shot from 25 yards cleared the bar. Good work from Ollie Hogg then found Onokwai, who was fouled by Massey 20 yards from goal. Bewley stepped up again with a curling free kick, which narrowly cleared the bar with the keeper beaten.

      The final play of the match saw the impressive Barratt twist and turn to beat 2 markers, then pass the ball to Smith in the centre circle. Looking up and seeing Oualah off his line, he tried his luck, but the Ducks keeper was back in time to prevent the goal.

      So, the Ducks depart the County Cup at the hands of higher level opposition, beaten but not disgraced. Looking ahead, there is plenty to be optimistic about. New signing Onokwai looks to be a fine acquisition, the team is settling into a good pattern of play, retaining possession and creating chances. Competition within the squad is fierce which can only auger well for the future. Next up is the FA Trophy match against Chatham on Saturday, when the team will look to advance to the next round.