Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



Aylesbury got 2017 off to a victorious start, as Bruno Brito’s double inspired the Ducks to their second win at Yarnton Road of the season after a seven-goal thriller.

United’s last visit to the ground had seen them win 2-1 in the league cup in November, since which date Kidlington had remained unbeaten at home, whilst in the league this was only their first defeat since the 1st October.

The two sides festive fortunes in their couldn’t have been more different, with the Ducks enjoying a 3-0 Boxing Day win over town neighbours Aylesbury FC, whereas Kidlington had been thrashed 6-0 by Beaconsfield SYCOB.

The hosts therefore must have been thinking about a return to form when they took the lead after just two minutes. Winger Mark Janes got clear on the right to play the ball across to the far post where the unattended Anaclet Odhiambo fired in off the upright. 1-0 Kidlington

Janes himself then had a shot blocked, but as the minutes passed Aylesbury began to grow in stature and recalled striker Troy Witter found himself clean through on eleven minutes only for a last ditch tackle from Mark Flanagan to keep him at bay.

Brito gave a preview of the influence he was to command on proceedings when his fine curling pass found Jonny Miller in the box who could only guide a volley wide, but within sixty seconds he was setting up the equaliser.

Good work on the right by Reece Cameron ended with Brito unable to get a shot away, but he made amends by retrieving the ball and then producing an outrageous ‘rabona’ style pass to cut the ball back to Ollie Hogg. Lurking on the edge of the area, he hit a first time rising drive that nestled just inside the post to Sam Warrell’s left. 1-1

Five minutes later and the Aylesbury had turned the game around. Referee Mr Chalmers played a good advantage in the build up, and when the ball reached Brito he spotted Warrell off his line to superbly chip the ball into the net from 25-yards. 2-1 Aylesbury

The momentum remained with United as Witter, Brito and Bewley all had half chances to increase the scoring, but it was the former who had the clearest opening when a raking pass from Greg Williams gave him room to send a low shot spinning across goal but just wide.

Another good chance came and went when Bewley and Brito combined down the left before switching the ball to Reece Cameron who took a touch on his chest before crashing wide a half volley.

A third goal did arrive nine minutes from the interval, courtesy of another moment of Brito magic. As Kidlington made loud claims for a penalty, the ball was smashed downfield where Witter laid it off to Brito who fired in a stunning swerving shot that beat Warrell all ends up. 3-1 Aylesbury

Three sensational goals and a now commanding lead for the Ducks, but it took a fine block from Kinnane to preserve the two-goal cushion as half-time arrived.

Half-time: Kidlington 1-3 Aylesbury

The second period started much the same as the first, with an early goal for Kidlington coming with just seven minutes played. Aylesbury half cleared Elliott Osborne-Ricketts’s corner, but the ball was worked back in to Anaclet Odhiambo who managed to roll a shot into the bottom corner. 2-3

With their lead suddenly halved, the Ducks refused to panic, and Brito nearly crowned his superb afternoon with an overhead kick goal as the ball was played into him, but this time the effort cleared the crossbar.

Kidlington spurned a big chance to equalise on 55 minutes when a long run from Eric Odhiambo ended with him playing the ball through to brother Anaclet, who squandered the chance for his hat-trick and level when he shot weakly, allowing Zaki Oualah to save.

It proved costly for the home team who soon found themselves two goals behind again. Warrell’s goal kick was headed straight back by the soaring Greg Williams, putting Cameron clean through on goal, and the youngster showed great composure in taking the ball around the keeper and slotting home. 4-2 Aylesbury

Oualah had his palms stung by a fierce Flanagan shot, though he had everything behind it, and Kidlington were going close again when Eric Odhiambo lead another counter attack after Ollie Stanbridge’s shot was blocked, this time feeding substitute Callum Harvey who missed the target.

Mark Janes heading well over from Eric Odhiambo’s corner kick was to be as close as the home side were to then come for a while, and when he had to be withdrawn with injury after all three substitutions had been made, Kidlington ended the game with ten men.

It looked like Aylesbury were heading for a comfortable end to the game, but the hosts had other ideas and reduced the deficit once more three minutes from time. Callum Harvey’s ball over the defence picked out Anaclet Odhiambo who made no mistake with a good finish to complete his hat-trick. 3-4

It meant a more nervous close to the match than was necessary, with Kidlington forcing some late pressure, but Aylesbury successfully saw out the remaining minutes to claim an excellent three points.