Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
The Evo-Stik League South
Match Report



Aylesbury’s two-year tenure at The ASM Stadium in Thame ended on a high note as they completed a third win of the season over nearby Oxfordshire side Kidlington.

It took a bizarre second half goal to complete a turnaround that had looked at times unlikely, particularly after a disjointed end to the first half which had seen the visitors deservedly edge in front.

Ryan Kinnane hoisted a harmless looking ball out of defence, some 70-yards from goal, which looked a relatively straightforward claim for goalkeeper Sam Warrell, but as he took the ball the trajectory of its flight sent him stumbling backwards before eventually falling into his own net for a terrible own goal.

Aside from the very first action of the game when Elliott Osborne-Ricketts teed up Anaclet Odhiambo for a shot straight at Jack Sillitoe, Aylesbury created the better chances in the first twenty minutes.

Sonny French had a good sight of goal when the ball was flicked through to set him in behind the defence, but he dragged his effort wide of the target. Lea Coulter – fresh from his two-goal salvo at Royston Town at the weekend – was then inches away from getting on the end of Bewley’s searching cross but for a timely defensive intervention.

A foul on Coulter then gave Bewley a free-kick shooting opportunity that he put over the bar, and the Ducks’s number three – clearly enjoying the attacking license of his new wing-back role – was in the thick of things again when he received a fine raking pass from Kinnane but was forced to rush his shot and fired straight at Warrell.

From that point Kidlington’s stature began to grow. A charge at the defence by Eric Odhiambo ended with a shot headed clear by Kinnane, before the same player blocked a long shot from Lewis Coyle after a recycled corner kick.

Another corner then lead to a quick passing move that had Jonny Miller slicing the ball just wide of his own goal in panic, before a similarly slick interchange saw Eric Odhiambo firing off target from distance.

Kinnane was once again in the right place to turn a low cross behind on 40 minutes, but from the resulting corner kick Aylesbury fell behind. The Ducks were unable to clear Coyle’s delivery as it hit two men in the box, captain Tom Franklin bouncing to volley home the loose ball. 1-0 Kidlington

Half-time: Aylesbury 0-1 Kidlington

The visitors could have doubled their deserved half time lead early in the second period when Anaclet Odhiambo was gifted a free run at goal by some poor control in midfield, but in taking his shot early the league’s second highest scorer skied it over the bar.

Aylesbury then threatened when a ball in to [player name removed] allowed him a shot which was blocked, French quickly onto the rebound which was deflected wide for a corner.

That was to [name removed]'s last meaningful involvement before being replaced by Tre Mitford, and with the ex-Burnham man on the field the Ducks had a renewed threat going forwards and it was no surprise that he was heavily involved with the equaliser.

Starting a move by spraying the ball out wide to Miller on the right, he nearly finished it with a stunning volley that Warrell just about prevented crossing the line, but French was on hand to ram home the loose ball and spare the far-sided assistant any appeals regarding the ball crossing the line. 1-1

The Ducks had Sillitoe to thank for preserving parity almost immediately when he made a fine save to deny Coyle’s shot on the run as the ball had been spread into his path.

Aylesbury’s turnaround was then complete a minute later in the comical circumstances – a position they had barely deserved but a very welcome one nonetheless. 2-1 Aylesbury

Warrell seemed unaffected by his earlier misdemeanours, making a brilliant save to deny Sonny French’s half volley having brought the ball down just outside the box seven minutes from time. Mitford then had a decent chance when he made a surging run through the middle but placed a shot wide.

At the other end Sillitoe had to be at his best in the closing moments to keep Kidlington at bay. Firstly he beat away a shot from Tommy Castle, parrying away a fierce driven cross on his near post in the final minute before showing safe hands to claim a swirling cross from the opposite flank, prior to which Ben Willoughby had planted a header well wide from a free kick.

The Ducks held on to finish their time in Thame in a pleasing manner, and record their 15th win at the ground. Not a particularly favourable record at a ‘home’ stadium – the full breakdown being 15 wins, 6 draws and 24 defeats – and one they will be looking to improve at their new ‘home’ of Chesham United.