Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



Match report by David Figg

After suffering their 3rd league defeat in their first 3 league games with a 2-3 home defeat by Barton Rovers 2 days earlier, Aylesbury United bounced back to finally get their first points on the board as they won 1-0 away to arch rivals Aylesbury FC in their big Evo Stik Southern League East Division local derby in front of a 356 crowd in the glorious Bank Holiday Monday sunshine at Haywood Way on Monday.

It replicated their famous 1-0 win in the corresponding fixture 12 months ago when Sonny French scored the winner before Glyn Creaser's side completed a season's double with a 3-0 Boxing Day win over The Moles at Thame.

As so often happens on these occasions, the latest instalment of 'El Quackico' wasn't a classic by any stretch of the imagination with both defences on top and not all that many serious clear-cut chances for either side, particularly in the first half.

The first chance of note came United's way in the 13th minute when Reece Cameron's free kick from just in from the corner flag on the left found Greg Williams, who escaped his marker but sent his header from 8 yards well over the bar.

Then at the other end in the 18th minute, Jeanmal Prosper sent his right foot shot from some 35 yards well wide of United keeper Jack Sillitoe's left hand post.

The next chance came FC's way in the 27th minute when Matt Cruse's corner from the right found Prosper whose right foot shot on the turn from 20 yards went not far wide of Sillitoe's left hand post.

Then at the other end in the 36th minute, Jake Bewley's cross from the left found Dejon Noel-Williams who had made space for himself in the box but his header from 10 yards lack power and accuracy and was held by Moles keeper James Weatherill.

The Ducks had a great chance to break the deadlock in the 37th minute when Lea Coulter's cross from the left saw Cameron just miss getting a touch with his head from inside the 6 yard box with the goal at his mercy.

Just 32 seconds later (still in the 37th minute), that miss was forgotten as United took the lead when a throw in from the left found Coulter who battled with Jordan Jenkins before a double ricochet saw the ball fall to Jack Wood inside the right of the box, who chested it down before seeing his left foot overhead kick from 12 yards loop into Weatherill's right hand corner. 1-0 United

That was the last serious chance of note in the first half and United went into the break a goal to the good.

HALF TIME: Aylesbury FC 0-1 Aylesbury United

The hosts made a substitution to start the second half with Aston Goss coming on to replace Cruse.

The first chance of note in the second half came United's way in the 53rd minute when Ollie Hogg's long ball through the middle was chased by Noel-Williams and FC's Ben Stevens but the Moles defender got in a great goal-saving tackle.

Then at the other end in the 57th minute, Goss's corner from the right found Jenkins at the far side of the box, whose header from 10 yards was headed away by Alex Collard.

FC made their second change in the 66th minute when Harry Scott came on to replace Prosper before The Ducks made their first change of the afternoon in the 70th minute when Harry Jones came on to replace Cameron.

The next chance came FC's way in the 72nd minute when Keiron Schmidt picked up a loose ball on the right of midfield and went on a run which saw him beat 2 men before having his low left foot shot from 25 yards held to his left by Sillitoe.

The hosts made their final substitution at the start of the 78th minute when Ken Feyi came on to replace Ty Deacon.

A reasonable opening came United's way in the 79th minute when a long ball over the top by French found Hogg who fed Jones. who cut in before slicing his cross wide and over at the near post with Noel-Williams waiting in vain at the far post.

United had a great chance to double their lead in the 82nd minute when French turned on the right and ran forward before having his weak right foot shot from 16 yards held by Weatherill when he should have done better.

There was a little bout of push and shove between FC's Joe Fitzgerald and United's Bewley and French in the 87th minute, which resulted in all 3 players being shown a yellow card by Abingdon referee Harry Moore.

The Ducks made their final change as the watch ticked over into stoppage time at the end when Oliie Stanbridge came to replace Coulter.

Then after 4 and a half minutes of added time, the final blast of referee Moore's whistle confirmed United's win and their first points on the board.

This first league win of the season for The Ducks and results elsewhere mean that Glyn Creaser's side move up to 17th place in the table, whilst The Moles are left in 19th place with just a single point after 4 games played.

The Ducks head to Bostik League Division 1 North side Tilbury in the Emirates FA Cup 1st Qualifying Round on Saturday but will need to be at their best if they are to make further progress.