The Evo-Stik League South
Match Report


Match report by David Figg

After finally recording their first league win of the season with a 1-0 away win over arch rivals Aylesbury FC on Bank Holiday Monday, Aylesbury United made it back to back wins to progress safely through to the 2nd Qualifying Round of the Emirates FA Cup with a 1-0 away win over Bostik League Division 1 North side Tilbury in their 1st Qualifying Round tie at Chadfields on Saturday.

It's the first time since season 2013-14 (and only the second time since 2007-08) that The Ducks have made it through to the 2nd Qualifying Round so a decent run in the world's oldest cup competition is long overdue. Meanwhile, Tilbury went into Saturday's tie having only made it to the 2nd Qualifying Round twice in the last 14 seasons - in 2003-04 and 2013-14

Tilbury went into Saturday's tie on the back of 2-1 home league win over Brentwood Town on Bank Holiday which left The Dockers in 11th place in the table as the 6th of 7 teams all on 6 points.

The first chance came Tilbury's way with exactly 6 completed minutes played when Kurt Smith's pass infield from the left found Bryan Kyungu, whose curling right foot shot from 20 yards was held to his left by United keeper Jack Sillitoe.

The Ducks' first chance came in the 12th minute when Sonny French's low square ball from left to right found Jack Wood who sent his left foot shot from 25 yards over the bar.

Then at the same end in the 16th minute, Ollie Hogg's corner from the left was punched out by Tilbury keeper Clarke Bogard and eventually came to French, who sent his left foot shot from 25 yards well over the bar.

Tilbury had a possible shout for a penalty in the 22nd minute when Smith cut in from the left on a diagonal run towards the D and into the box before going down under challenge from Alex Collard but Medway referee Peter Cruise waved away the hosts' claims for a penalty.

Then at the other end in the 24th minute, The Ducks went close when a move down the left ended with Dejon Noel-Williams' right foot shot being deflected by Dockers defender Joe Turpin just past Bogard's left hand post for a corner.

Another chance came United's way in the 25th minute when a great cross-field ball from middle to right was helped on by Jake Bewley to Lea Coulter who ran forward before firing his right foot shot well wide of Bogard's left hand post.

Then at the same end 3 minutes later, Hogg won a great challenge with Kyungu on the right of midfield with the ball falling to Wood who ran forward towards the box before having his low right foot shot from 16 yards held by Bogard.

United were having the better of the play and another chance came their way in the 36th minute when a chipped pass over the top from the right by Ryan Kinnane left Noel-Williams through on goal but Bogard came out to smother just inside his box.

The Ducks went close again 2 minutes later when Wood's long ball over the top from the right down the middle towards French saw Bogard only half clear to Noel-Williams, whose right foot shot from 22 yards was cleared by a defender.

With a minimum of 3 minutes added time indicated by the 4th Official to be played at the end of the half, a rare chance for Tilbury came deep into the 3rd of those minutes when Emiel Aiken picked up a loose ball on the right and ran down the line before crossing to the far post where Adam Vyse's header from inside the left of the 6 yard box lacked power and was held by Sillitoe.

That was the last major action of the half and the sides went into the break with the score still blank.

HALF TIME: Tilbury 0-0 Aylesbury United.

There was just one substitution to start the second half with the hosts bringing on Danny Norton to replace Kyungu.

The first chance of the second half came The Ducks' way in the 49th minute when a clearance by Turpin found Bewley who won a tackle with Abdul Salami some 40 yards out on the United and ran forward before sending his left foot drive from 30 yards not far wide of Bogard's left hand post.

The visitors went close a minute later when, from Bewley's cross from the left, the ball eventually found its way to the far post where Hogg saw his right foot shot from 15 yards well held at his left hand post by Bogard.

Just 47 seconds later (now in the 51st minute), Tilbury went close when Aiken's cross from the left to the far post found the unmarked Norton in the far side of the box, who controlled before having his right foot shot from 15 yards blocked by the ageless Greg Williams for a corner.

Then in the 55th minute, United finally took the lead when Williams won a header which fell to Coulter who won a challenge with Norton on the left of midfield before sending a through ball to Tyriq Hunte, who beat Lewis Jaggs before sending a sublime left foot lob from the left hand corner of the box looping into Bogard's left hand corner. 1-0 United

United made their first change of the afternoon in the 61st minute when Jamie Jellis came on to replace Coulter.

Tilbury had a chance to equalise just 21 seconds later when Vyse's low free kick from a central position 25 yards out was held by Sillitoe.

The next chance came The Ducks' way in the 66th minute when Wood's long ball over the top from middle to right towards Noel-Williams saw the advancing Bogard slice his clearance to his left to French, who cut in but was unable to capitalise and the chance was lost.

Tilbury then made 2 substitutions in the space a few minutes with Tony Martin coming on for Luke Hornsley in the 74th minute before Toby Aromolaran replaced Toch Singh in the 77th minute.

Tilbury began to exert a little late pressure on United and they went close in the 82nd minute when a cross-field ball from middle to left found Smith, whose cross to the far post found Martin whose right foot shot was deflected by Kinnane for a corner.

The Ducks made their second change of the afternoon in the 86th minute when Reece Cameron came on to replace Hunte.

Then with 35 seconds of normal time left at the end, Tilbury went close to an equaliser when Norton's low through ball on the right found Smith who cut inside Bewley before seeing his low left foot shot from 25 yards almost get a touch by Martin before it was held at his left hand post by Sillitoe.

With a minimum of 5 minutes added time having been indicated to be played at the end, United made their final change 2 and a half minutes into added time when Harry Jones came on for Noel-Williams.

Then exactly half way through the 5th minute of added time, United went close to doubling their lead when Jellis played a couple of one-twos with Cameron on the right before Cameron crossed for Jones to send his header from near the penalty spot not far over Bogard's right hand angle.

Then 69 seconds later, the final blast of referee Cruise's whistle confirmed United's place in the next round and the celebrations by players, management and supporters alike began in earnest.

It was a disciplined performance by Glyn Creaser's side who had the better of the play and the chances.

United are next in action this Saturday when they are at home to Hanwell in the league at The Meadow, Chesham with a 3.00pm kick off.