Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report


Having achieved FA Cup progress at the weekend, Aylesbury were unable to do similar in the Berks & Bucks Senior Cup as they exited the competition in the first round for the second year in a row.

The competition’s perceived importance lead to both managers making wholesale changes to their teams – with the Ducks featuring a youthful lineup, although the average age was markedly increased by the return of Greg Williams! (making his 398th Aylesbury United appearance).

There was also a debut for new forward Ashlan Bubb – cousin of United top scorer of thirteen years earlier Alvin Bubb – although he endured a somewhat frustrating night, like his attacking counterparts, against a wily Beaconsfield defence. Young goalkeeper Michael Chalmers was also brought in for his first senior appearance.

The first half chance of the night came Aylesbury’s way, Jamie Jellis drilling a shot over as a half clearance sat up nicely for him in the eleventh minute.

Beaconsfield began to get a foothold in the game and became increasingly dominant as the minutes passed. The Ducks were regularly found struggling to clear their lines, but were making some important blocks in the box, the first coming when a corner kick fell to captain Luke Neville in the box.

As three hurried clearances were crossed back in, the last cross was touched down to Aaron Minhas whose effort was also charged down, the rebound subsequently clearing the crossbar.

Winger Andre Costa – who had changed the game when the side’s met on the opening day of the season - gave Aylesbury’s defence a torrid time all night, and his 20th minute ball in from the left was met by an improvised shot from Kofi Lockhart-Adams that was flicked just wide.

Lockhart-Adams was involved again when yet another cross rebounded off Ryan Kinnane to him, and again he showed good improvisation by managing to get away an overhead kick from a prone position, but it was straight at Chalmers.

What proved to be the match winner arrived just past the half hour mark. Unsurprisingly, Costa was the architect, going on a strong run at the heart of Aylesbury’s defence before slipping in Dan Brown who had got goalside of Ryan Coyle to tuck away his first goal in Beaconsfield colours. 1-0 Beaconsfield

As Costa continued to wreak havoc, he danced his way into the box before going down under a combination of challenges, only for referee Mr Gill to wave away the home team’s protests for a penalty.

Town remained on top right up to the interval and after a number of corner kicks had come to nothing, should have doubled their lead on the stroke of half time when Costa’s corner kick was met full on in the area but headed straight into the arms of Chalmers.

Half-time: Beaconsfield 1-0 Aylesbury

If Aylesbury were to find a way back in the game, they needed to find a way to be more threatening in the final third – having barely had a shot in the first period.

The Ducks were immediately more enterprising, and although a 40-yard free kick from Kinnane was never likely to be the route to an equaliser – looping harmlessly through to the goalkeeper having struck a defender – Tyriq Hunte did better shortly afterwards when he bent a shot just past the post.

The ball had apparently taken a nick on its way through, leading to United’s first corner of the night. Bubb was the taker, where it was helped on across goal but Chris Cordara-Soanes could only spoon over from close range.

An attacking move down the left then saw Hunte played in who picked out Harry Jones in the box who in turn teed up Ollie Hogg to shoot wide.

Hogg’s teasing free kick just evaded all the Aylesbury attackers, but Beaconsfield showed they remained a threat when Lockhart-Adams rode a number of challenges before poking a shot wide from the edge of the area.

In search of an equaliser, Glyn Creaser threw on Sonny French, Ollie Stanbridge and Reece Cameron, but United still struggled to find a way through the home rearguard.

They nearly conceded a comical second when an attempted pass back cleared Chalmers who was off his line, but fortunately wasn’t on ‘target’ and simply went behind for a corner.

With seven minutes remaining Aylesbury created what was probably their best chance of the night. Kinnane sprayed a pass out left for Hunte and then continued his run to meet Hunte’s cross but head it over the bar.

United were finishing strongly and another good move saw Jack Wood play the ball back for Hogg who dummied it for French who couldn’t keep his shot down.

The final chance came in the last minute when, from a corner kick, the ball was headed back across goal where Greg Williams looked well positioned to find the net, but he turned it wide as Aylesbury’s elimination was confirmed.

An improved second half showing from the Ducks, but ultimately they lacked the quality or presence in the final third to really hurt their opponents, and home goalkeeper Jamie Norris went home for the night without a serious save to make.