Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



Aylesbury’s hopes of back to back league wins were dashed following another goal-shy performance as the Ducks lost 2-0 at Egham Town.

United merited a point from the game, but it was once again obvious why – with eight goals – they are second lowest scorers in the Evo-Stik League East this season.

There was one enforced change to the team that had beaten Arlesey at the weekend, Reece Cameron in for the unavailable Ben Seaton, but the sparse squad at his disposal gave manager Glyn Creaser few options even if he had wanted them.

Aylesbury started well when Ollie Hogg threaded the ball through to Tyriq Hunte whose powerful shot was beaten away by Patrick Ohman after just two minutes.

That proved to be a false dawn as with their first foray into United’s half, Egham went ahead. Louis Stead squared to Liam Tack whose shot was blocked, but with Aylesbury unable to get the ball away it broke to Aaron Berry who bent a shot past Jack Sillitoe. 1-0 Egham

In a game where both sides repeatedly gave the ball away, quality moments were in short supply.

A long shot from Sonny French nearly caught Ohman out, before Hunte might have done better when Hogg charged at the defence before trying to play in Harry Jones. The ball fell to the burly striker but he pulled his shot wide.

Midway through the half and the Sarnies threatened for a second time when a ball in from the left found goalscorer Berry all alone, but instead of heading down for his strike partner he went for goal with a header that was plucked out of the air by Sillitoe.

On the half hour mark a swept pass forwards left the Egham defence floundering, Jones beating the hesitant goalkeeper to the ball but only able to loft his shot high and wide of the target.

Half chances for Hogg and Greg Williams came and went, before the best of the first half openings came to Tyriq Hunte. Another well directed ball forwards allowed him to turn his marker to run clean through, but instead of squaring for the unmarked Jones he went for goal himself and Ohman was able to make a good save.

Momentum then swung to the home side and a minute later a superb block by Jake Bewley denied Berry a second, before a cross from the right was flicked goalwards by Tack where it was caught by a diving Sillitoe.

Aylesbury ended the half in the manner they’d started when Reece Cameron’s corner kick was met by Jack Wood but blocked on the line, to ensure the home side’s lead was preserved at the interval.

Half-time: Egham 1-0 Aylesbury

Creaser elected to swap Cameron for Maciej Tajs at half time, but Aylesbury’s chase of the game didn’t get off the best of starts as the hosts went close to doubling their lead early on. Sillitoe made a great save to deny Berry after an intelligent ball over the defence, but Brendan Matthew could only skew the rebound badly wide with the goal gaping.

Another change quickly followed as TJ Bartley was introduced in place of Jones to make his competitive Aylesbury debut, over a year after first appearing in a preseason friendly.

The Ducks were soon in their first attacking action of the half when Hogg played a slick one-two before firing in a long shot that would have been comfortably fielded, but a deflection wrong-footed the keeper to make his fielding rather more challenging.

Egham then had a strong shout for a penalty turned down when Greg Williams stepped across Matthew’s path and sent him tumbling, referee Mr Gill quick to wave away the protests.

Bartley showed a few bright moments having come on and one such released Jack Wood on an overlapping run after 57 minutes, United’s skipper lifting aiming his shot over the goalkeeper but into the side netting.

He was involved again when put in on goal in the ‘outside right’ position before trying to square to a teammate only for Mitchell Wiseman to intervene – and very nearly put through his own net.

With the game becoming increasingly stretched, Egham’s changes had given them renewed vigour in attack and the ever-dangerous Matt Woods teed up Louis Stead with eleven minutes remaining who could only stroke a shot wide of the target.

Town did finally kill the game off on 85 minutes as their two substitutes combined. Woods made tracks to the dead ball line before squaring for Jordan Stockill to tap home his first goal in Egham colours from close range. 2-0 Egham

There was still time for Bartley to go close late on when he linked up intelligently with his Tring Corinthians development side teammate Tajs before firing a shot narrowly wide across goal.

But the hosts ended strongly and with better finishing could have added extra gloss to the scoreline as Woods twice went clear in the closing moments. First he put the ball wide when faced only with Sillitoe on the edge of the box, he then crashed a wild effort well over the bar having been picked out on the right of the penalty area.

It meant no further scoring on another night of disappointment for Aylesbury. The Ducks will now be hoping for a better outcome when they take on another of the struggling sides, Northwood, on Saturday.