Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com

Wednesday 22nd November 2017

Evo-Stik League South East

The Meadow, Chesham Attendance: 85

Warning: Use of undefined constant goaldescription - assumed 'goaldescription' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /var/www/vhosts/aylesburyunitedfc.co.uk/httpdocs/match.php on line 1487

Aylesbury United

0 2

Hartley Wintney

  Half-time: (0-1)  
      Jack SILLITOEPlayer Image1
      Ryan COYLEPlayer Image2
      Jake BEWLEYPlayer Image3
      (c) Jack WOODPlayer Image4
      Ryan KINNANEPlayer Image5
      12 63m Ollie STANBRIDGEPlayer Image6
      Connor FURLONGPlayer Image7
      Greg WILLIAMSPlayer Image8
      Tre MITFORDPlayer Image9
      Sonny FRENCHPlayer Image10
      14 70m Aaron COUCHPlayer Image11
      66 63m Tyriq HUNTEPlayer Image12
      11 70m Harry JONESPlayer Image14
      Ben SEATONPlayer Image15
      Lea COULTERPlayer Image16
        Glyn CREASERManager ImageM
      1Player ImagePaul STRUDLEY
      2Player ImageDean STOW (c)
      3Player ImageNick HUTCHINGS
      19Player ImageLiam EAGLE
      5Player ImageSteve NOAKES
      6Player ImageJosh WEBB12 87m 
      7Player ImagePaul HODGES
      8Player ImageJack FRENCH
      9Player ImageJake BAXTER14 82m 
      10Player ImageRowan VINE
      11Player ImageAdam EVERISS15 46m 
      12Player ImageLouie PAGET6 87m 
      14Player ImageJoe PARIS9 82m 
      15Player ImageJames TENNANT11 46m 
      16Player ImageAnthony MILLERICK
      Match Report



      Lack of fixtures, results of others, and their own poor form have seen Aylesbury’s league position take a worrying slump that saw them go into this fixture – their first ever meeting with Hartley Witney – one off bottom in the table.

      A win was what the Ducks craved, but on the night that never really looked on the cards against a superior and meticulously drilled side whose three points moved them back into 5th spot.

      Injury to Alex Collard necessitated defensive changes, meaning a first start in over a month for Ryan Coyle, and it was he who almost single-handedly kept ‘The Row’ at bay in the opening moments with two goal-line clearances within the first two minutes.

      As the visitors threatened to run riot, they went close again on eight minutes when the ball was moved out wide to Adam Everiss who lobbed it on for Rowan Vine, before the vastly experienced striker in turn lobbed the advancing Jack Sillitoe only to see the ball hacked behind.

      A long ball forward was then headed wide by Liam Eagle venturing forward from defence, after a which a nervy-looking Aylesbury presented the ball straight back to Paul Hodges who could only put a poor shot wide of the target.

      The Ducks eventually reached their opponents’ box for the first time of the night with fourteen minutes on the clock. A lofted ball from the right held up in the swirling wind and caught goalkeeper Paul Strudley in two minds and the stopper was rather fortunate to hear the referee’s whistle as Sonny French went in to challenge and beat him to the high ball, though his attempt just missed the target anyhow.

      Back at the other end and a venomous shot from Sonny’s opponent namesake, Jack French, had to be smartly turned wide by Sillitoe.

      Midway through the half and Tre Mitford – making his home ‘debut’ alongside MK Dons loanee Connor Furlong – struck what was United’s first real effort on goal, but it was a tame attempt that trickled harmlessly wide.

      A strong run down the right wing by Hodges saw him pick out Everiss with a searching cross, but he couldn’t keep his volley down and it sailed high over the bar.

      Having worked hard to repel all manner of Hartley Witney attacks to that point, the simplicity of the opener when it arrived would have no doubt irked manager Glyn Creaser, though it was clearly deserved on balance of the play. A long ball downfield flicked off the head of Ryan Kinnane to set Jake Baxter in on goal and he produced a clinical finish that arrowed past Sillitoe. 1-0 Hartley Wintney

      Four minutes later and Sillitoe was called upon again to prevent a second, turning wide a curler from Steve Noakes, and the same player hooked over the bar from the resulting corner kick.

      A combination of the busy home goalkeeper and crossbar then just about kept out a free kick from Dean Stow that swerved chaotically in the wind having been hit with incredible power from fully 40-yards out, and the visitors ended the half well on top with Sillitoe saving again before the rebound was blazed over.

      Half-time: Aylesbury 0-1 Hartley Wintney

      It took just three second half minutes for Hartley Wintney to call Sillitoe into action again when Hodges was played in on the left of the penalty area, his shot having to be beaten away at the near post.

      Aylesbury were then finally posing some more difficult questions in their opponent’s box when a ball in from the right was half cleared to Sonny French whose fierce shot was superbly blocked en route to goal.

      Once again nearly masters of their own downfall, an intercepted Aylesbury long pass resulted in Baxter cutting it back for strike partner Vine who could only fire wide from the edge of the area as the Ducks were once again living dangerously.

      Two substitutions failed to stem the game’s flow, with an acrobatic effort from Baxter flying over the bar, before the unfortunate Hodges began a bizarre sequence of misses by somehow blazing over from six-yards with the goal gaping as his team countered effectively with a four-on-four attack.

      After another crashing free-kick from Stow had to be beaten away by Sillitoe, the subsequent corner kick lead to the award of a hotly disputed penalty kick. The redelivered ball was struck goalwards by Vine, where the referee adjudged Greg Williams to have blocked with his hand and pointed to the spot.

      Stow’s penalty was as vicious as his earlier free-kicks and even if Sillitoe had guessed right, there would have been no stopping it as it flew in off the post. 2-0 Hartley Wintney

      In truth, the penalty was about all that Aylesbury had to dispute all night. Their visitors were good value for their lead and, with it hard to see where a home goal was coming from, the game was all but over at 2-0.

      Two minutes later and Hodges should have compounded the Ducks’ misery only for another astonishing miss to let them off, as Baxter escaped before squaring for the winger who stretched to turn the ball over the open goal.

      In the 86th minute the ever-eager Furlong was allowed to bring the ball forward a long way and produced a rare shot on goal for the beleaguered United, though it was comfortably fielded by Strudley.

      It lead to a brief upturn and some late pressure from the Ducks, but as close as they were to come was a flying header from Jack Wood that was put wide from a ball hoisted in from deep. Instead, it was Sillitoe making yet another good save to keep the scoreline respectable which ended the match.

      After another blank Saturday, next up for the Ducks is a similarly tough test and local derby at South Bucks Chalfont St. Peter, who have been on a fine run of form leading up to the game.