Powered by PrivacyPolicies.com
Match Report



Match report by David Figg

After suffering their 4th straight defeat with a 2-3 loss away to high-flying Beaconsfield Town 3 days earlier, Aylesbury United's hopes of getting back to winning ways were dashed as their run of 3 consecutive wins in 'El Quackico' was ended by a 1-2 home defeat by arch rivals Aylesbury FC in their big local derby in front of a disappointingly low crowd of just 148 at a wet The Meadow, Chesham on Boxing Day.

The Ducks' defeat at Beaconsfield and results elsewhere the same day had left them in 20th place in the table as the 2nd of 3 teams on 15 points with Hanwell Town above them and Bedford Town below them respectively on goal difference.

Meanwhile, FC had gone into the game on the back of a 0-2 home defeat by Hayes and Yeading United on the Saturday to end a run of 3 straight wins with that defeat by Hayes and Yeading leaving The Moles in 17th place, 9 points ahead of United.

The first chance came United's way when Tre Mitford's low free kick from 23 yards in a central position was easily held to his right by FC keeper Ashley Jenkins with just 65 seconds on the watch.

Then at the other end in the 3rd minute, FC went close when Aston Goss's free kick from the right found Brian Haule whose shot from 10 yards hit a Ducks defender before the rebound fell to Ty Deacon, whose effort was eventually saved by United keeper Jack Sillitoe.

Just 21 seconds later (still in the 3rd minute), United took the lead in almost pantomime style when an attempted kick out by keeper Jenkins was intercepted by Connor Furlong on the Ducks' left who took a touch to switch it onto his right foot before firing his shot from 19 yards into the empty net with Jenkins stranded. 1-0 United

Then at the other end in the 10th minute, Kerran Lataille's through ball found Deacon and as Sillitoe came out, both players appeared to challenge for the ball with a high boot on the edge of the box but went unpunished by referee Mark Shapland.

United suffered a blow when Gavin Hinds-Cadette was injured and was replaced by Ollie Stanbridge in the 17th minute.

Then in the 21st minute, FC equalised when a long diagonal ball over the top from left to right by Goss found Deacon who took a touch to control before cutting in and firing his low left foot shot from the edge of the box into Sillitoe's left hand corner. 1-1

A chance came FC's way in the 26th minute when a header forward by Jodie Jenkins found Brian Haule who, despite having his back to goal, managed to send his unorthodox back heel onto Sillitoe's left hand post, with the ball rebounding to Deacon who fired wide of the same post from 6 yards.

United had a shout for a possible penalty in the 33rd minute when Furlong's cross from the right found Wood whose header from 8 yards seemed to hit Jodie Jenkins on the hand from point blank range but referee Shapland waved away The Ducks' claims for a spot kick.

Then at the same end, Jake Bewley sent a free kick from 35 yards well over the bar.

United went close in the 43rd minute when Ollie Hogg's free kick from the left to the far post found Jeanmal Prosper whose header from 10 yards was cleared off the line by Jodie Jenkins to deny him a goal against his former club.

The last chance of note in the first half came United's way in the 45th minute when Bewley fired his left foot shot from 30 yards over the bar.

Half-time: Aylesbury United 1-1 Aylesbury FC

The first chance of the second half came United's way in the 48th minute when Mitford picked up a loose ball and ran forward on the right before seeing his right foot shot from 20 yards hit the keeper's left hand post before being cleared by Michael Barima.

FC made their first substitution in the 51st minute when Anthony Ball came on to replace David Pobbe.

United went close in the 55th minute when Bewley's free kick from the right found Greg Williams who sent his header wide of Jenkins's left hand angle.

Then in the 59th minute, The Ducks thought they'd scored when a cross from the left found Mitford whose right foot shot was saved by Jenkins with the ball running out to Prosper, who fired his right foot shot home from 6 yards. However, their joy was short-lived as the goal was ruled out for offside against Prosper.

Then at the other end a minute later, Deacon turned on the right and cut in but his weak low left shot from the edge of the box was comfortably held to his left by Sillitoe.

United made a change in the 63rd minute when Harry Jones came on to replace Horatio Hirst before FC made a change of their own in the 67th minute when Harry Scott came on to replace Kerran Lataille.

The Ducks made their final change in the 73rd minute when Sonny French came on to replace Hogg.

Another chance came United's way in the 75th minute when a ball over the top found French whose low right foot shot was held to his right by Jenkins.

Then at the other end in the 77th minute, FC went close when a long ball forward from middle to left by Garry Jones saw United's Ollie Stanbridge try to shield the ball not far from the corner flag but Goss won possession and cut in before firing his right foot shot from 12 yards into the side netting at Sillitoe's right hand post.

Another chance came United's way in the 84th minute when Williams's free kick was deflected off the wall by Brian Haule before being held by Jenkins.

FC went close in the 86th minute when Jones's short low ball infield from the left found Brian Haule who ran forward before sending his right foot shot from 20 yards not far over the bar.

Then in the 88th minute with the game destined to end in a draw with United having spurned enough chances to have won 3 or 4 games, the hosts were the victims of a smash and grab raid when Brian Haule's low diagonal ball from middle to left found Goss who crossed to the near post for the on-running Haule to send his powerful header from 6 yards into Sillitoe's right hand corner with the keeper unable to keep it out. 1-2 Aylesbury FC

There were no further chances for either side and after an eventual 4 minutes and 55 seconds of added time at the end when a minimum 3 had been indicated, the final blast of referee Shapland's whistle brought the game to an end and confirmed that local bragging rights had passed to FC, leaving United with nothing to show for their efforts as they slumped to 5th straight defeat in a game they should have won.